Wiki Posts
Search

YYZ to downtown

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2014, 12:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: *A, Hertz Plt, IC RA, SPG Gold, MR Plt
YYZ to downtown

With airport express shutting down it's service on October 31. What is the best way that's relative inexpensive to get to downtown?
Old Oct 22, 2014, 1:57 pm

Programs: *A, PD
Some options are :

TTC 1.5hrs for $3
Taxi ~45-90min for ~$50-70
Limo ~45-90min for even more
or the train when comes into effect, $20-30 for a one way.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 8:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: *A, Hertz Plt, IC RA, SPG Gold, MR Plt
Stupid question, which TTC bus to downtown. Is it easy?
Old Oct 23, 2014, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by UpgradedFirst
Stupid question, which TTC bus to downtown. Is it easy?
192 to Kipling and then onto the subway. Is it easy...without a lot of luggage yes it will take over an hour to get into downtown but much cheaper than any other way.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 7:36 pm

TTC - 192 to Kipling then you take the subway Line 2 (east) to line 1 and head south. Going this route during rush hour is not fun at all. Outside of rush hour its not bad but its going to take you about 2 hours.

GO Transit Bus ($5.70 - Route 34 to York Mills, then take the subway($3) Line 1 south. Not sure on the timing on this one but my guess is around 2 hours. The GO Bus is really nice and line 1 south bound isn't very busy, even during rush hour.

Both options are really simple, your getting off at the last stop (bus) and once your on the subway, you can ask anyone for directions if your lost.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by amw3000
TTC - 192 to Kipling then you take the subway Line 2 (east) to line 1 and head south. Going this route during rush hour is not fun at all. Outside of rush hour its not bad but its going to take you about 2 hours.

GO Transit Bus ($5.70 - Route 34 to York Mills, then take the subway($3) Line 1 south. Not sure on the timing on this one but my guess is around 2 hours. The GO Bus is really nice and line 1 south bound isn't very busy, even during rush hour.

Both options are really simple, your getting off at the last stop (bus) and once your on the subway, you can ask anyone for directions if your lost.

Great advise, however I strongly disagree with your comment about line 1 southbound not being very busy during rush hour. During the morning rush, line 1 is pretty full by Eglinton and is over capacity by Bloor. It's not unusual to have to wait a train or two if getting on anywhere south of summerhill
Old Oct 25, 2014, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by AC681
Great advise, however I strongly disagree with your comment about line 1 southbound not being very busy during rush hour. During the morning rush, line 1 is pretty full by Eglinton and is over capacity by Bloor. It's not unusual to have to wait a train or two if getting on anywhere south of summerhill
They are making some major improvements. I take the TTC daily, line 1 south every morning and I can start to see the difference. While sometimes the trains are packed, most of the time you can hop on about any station. Other times, it's simply due to a delay and build up of people. Also, the OP will be getting on at York Mills, will have a nice seat and a smooth ride downtown.

Last edited by amw3000; Oct 25, 2014 at 9:31 am
Old Oct 25, 2014, 8:02 pm
B1

The GO bus runs once and hour and you have to pay another fare for the subway. It is the eastbound Brampton local with York Mills as its final destination. You pay the driver. If you do use the GO, do not go as far as York Mills - get off at Yorkdale and take the 1 line to downtown from there. That part of the line is closer to the airport and the subway is less crowded than at York Mills. Another all-TTC route with one TTC fare only is the 52A Lawrence West bus to Lawrence West station on the 1 line with a free transfer to the subway to downtown (the same line as from Yorkdale). The 52A goes on to Yonge Street and the busy branch of the 1 subway. The 52A runs every 15 minutes from Terminal 1 at YYZ. TTC buses do not make change and accept cash, tokens or passes. Ask for a transfer as a proof of payment which is required on some streetcar lines.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 4:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
TTC does not take 2 hours.....1:15 tops. The people running the new airport train are nuts to charge 20-30 bucks. This is quite ridiculous compared to almost any other place on earth for comparable service.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 4:50 pm

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Originally Posted by Altaflyer
TTC does not take 2 hours.....1:15 tops. The people running the new airport train are nuts to charge 20-30 bucks. This is quite ridiculous compared to almost any other place on earth for comparable service.
Umm. Heathrow Express, London. £21 (ticket machine) or £26 (on board) for a 15 to 20 minute journey. There are offers on at the moment for £15 if booked 7 days in advance, but as soon as we get a new rail link in 2018, this service will suffer, so it's pure pillage while they have the monopoly. (Yes, I know you said "almost"! )
Old Nov 5, 2014, 6:32 am

Originally Posted by Altaflyer
1:15 from where to where? It will take you at least 45 mins to get from Kipling Subway to the downtown core.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
1:15 from where to where? It will take you at least 45 mins to get from Kipling Subway to the downtown core.
1:15 is actual travel time from when the 192 bus leaves YYZ.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 8:37 am

Programs: *A, PD
Just looking at Google Maps, to go from the airport to Union station, and it says the TTC should take from 1hr 5min though I don't think that factors in traffic. TTC's website is saying the same thing, so plan for at least 1hr 30min if going during or near rush hour.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 10:47 am

Programs: United Premier 1K
Originally Posted by B1
The 52A runs every 15 minutes from Terminal 1 at YYZ. TTC buses do not make change and accept cash, tokens or passes. Ask for a transfer as a proof of payment which is required on some streetcar lines.
Note that there is a machine in the terminal (at least T1, maybe T3) where you can use credit card to charge the $3 fare if you don't have the Canadian cash on hand.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 8:06 am

Programs: American AAdvantage
Originally Posted by dddc
Umm. Heathrow Express, London. £21 (ticket machine) or £26 (on board) for a 15 to 20 minute journey. There are offers on at the moment for £15 if booked 7 days in advance, but as soon as we get a new rail link in 2018, this service will suffer, so it's pure pillage while they have the monopoly. (Yes, I know you said "almost"! )
If I recall both the Heathrow Express and the Gatwick Express had a small baggage area on each end of the train. I hope the new airport train offers something similar.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.