Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Any good hotel chains for smaller Western Canada centres?

Old Oct 16, 2014, 10:03 am
Original Poster

For business travel, I must use Concur and where possible, choose among the company approved hotels; having said that, almost all major business oriented hotel chains are approved and I have never had issue booking non-approved hotels as long as the rates are reasonable. Traditionally, I am loyal to two hotel chains, the Fairmont at all the big cities and the Holiday Inn/HI Express when I am at the smaller centers. I have been a little disappointed with HI hotels lately, mainly with reservation issues:

a) three times now, I arrived with a print out of my reservation (confirmation numbers and the works) and the hotels can't find it in their system and have to call to confirm. This may be a Concur issue but I am not having problem with Fairmont reservations. The reservations are not lost, the front desk can retrieve it by calling (who, I don't know); only one instance where they almost had no room for me.
b) wrong rates being charged, I have a quoted rate on the reservation and found that I was charged a different rate at check out, sometimes lower, sometimes higher - as long as it is close, I don't try to get it fixed.
c) no more IHG points for booking through a third party website.

Just curious, for smaller centers like Fort Mcmurray, Kelowna, Prince George, Saskatoon, Regina, Fort St. John, Victoria, Vernon, Kamloops etc. The HI's biggest advantage is that it is in almost every centre I visit; I don't think any other chain comes close to their coverage. Looking in to the Courtyards, Four Points and Hamptons, just wondering if any of the FFs here frequent those and have opinions. Brand new Courtyard and Hamptons just opened up in Saskatoon, will definitely try one of them next trip.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 8:13 pm
B1

Coast Hotels are pretty nice in Alberta and BC in lots of smaller places.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 7:14 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Yes I'd second Coast Hotels. I was positively surprised by them in B.C. .
Old Oct 26, 2014, 3:59 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
What about Delta? They are expanding, have locations in Regina, S'toon, & Victoria. I like their Privilege program (5 stays = Gold, two upgrades, $200 credit for lunch/dinner) and good AC promos.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 11:11 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
I'll third the notion of Coast. The one in Chilliwack is surprisingly nice.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 4:01 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice, just booked Coast in Prince George and Kelowna. Definitely won't miss the HIEx at Kelowna.

Problem with Delta is that they are not in most of the small small centres. I do stay at the Delta in Regina, there is really nothing else there.
Old Nov 9, 2014, 7:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Sandman Hotels is a pretty good regional chain, though none in YMM I believe. Lots in interior BC though. I like Coast but they aren't in some of locales OP mentioned so thought I'd add my recommendation.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.