Wiki Posts
Search

Kelowna vs Kamloops stopover Banff to Vancouver

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2014, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Kelowna vs Kamloops stopover Banff to Vancouver

We are flying in to Calgary in July, spending one night there (very late arrival) then 5 nights in Banff, leaving there around noon on our last day there and driving to either Kamloops or Kelowna for a one-night stay, then flying out of Vancouver the next evening. Not looking to do a whole lot in the town, just dinner, breakfast and maybe a short activity in the morning. Which is the better drive and better place to hang out for about 20 hours? Will either be using certs at the Fairfield in Kelowna or points at the Doubletree in Kamloops.

Last edited by VickiSoCal; May 14, 2014 at 2:57 pm
Old May 14, 2014, 4:24 pm

Programs: airmiles, IHG rewards club, west jet
If you like wine - Kelowna

An hour and a half longer that Kamloops you can head through wine country. There are some north of Kelowna but most are further south between Penticton and Osoyoos (about 100). The drive from Kelowna to Vancouver through Penticton (or down to Osoyoos where you meet up with the Crows nest Hwy.) is way nicer than Kamloops/Van (Coquihalla Highway).
Old May 15, 2014, 3:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by tailes2
An hour and a half longer that Kamloops you can head through wine country. There are some north of Kelowna but most are further south between Penticton and Osoyoos (about 100). The drive from Kelowna to Vancouver through Penticton (or down to Osoyoos where you meet up with the Crows nest Hwy.) is way nicer than Kamloops/Van (Coquihalla Highway).
The drive may be nicer but also can be a fair bit longer... Kelowna over Kamloops any day though. Check out the waterfront, plenty to do there and will be beautiful in July!
Old May 17, 2014, 5:57 pm

Programs: Star Alliance - AC
There is no question about it.

Go to Kelowna.

Better restaurants, better scenery, better entertainment options and pretty much better everything for a tourist.

I have to go to both places regularly and always enjoy my time in Kelowna.
Old May 18, 2014, 10:43 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
Not looking to do a whole lot in the town, just dinner, breakfast and maybe a short activity in the morning.
I'm going to be contrarian and suggest Kamloops.

The drive from Kamloops to Vancouver is shorter than from Kelowna, and the highway from Kamloops to Merritt is more scenic than the road from Kelowna to Merritt.
Old May 18, 2014, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Depending on time, the traffic going through Kelowna can be nightmarish (well, heavy and slow at any rate). This includes anything seen as rush hour (starts at 3 when the trades people - lots here - call it a day) and weekends especially in summer.

The Marriott/Fairfield at least is towards the north end of town so you don't have to face too much traffic getting there from the direction of Vernon, though the highway there is closed more than one would expect due to serious road accidents.
Old May 27, 2014, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks all! Going to do Kelowna and budget for traffic. We'll arrive there on a Sunday and leaving on a Monday, flight out of Vancouver is not until 6 pm, so plenty of time.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Just a suggestion that you might consider breaking Banff up into 3 nights in Banff and then 2 in Lake Louise. Although LL is more pricey.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

We are back and had a wonderful evening in Kelowna, kids played in the lake a bit, walked the waterfront and had an ice cream. Little traffic but the highways definitely move slower in Canada than the US so drives overall took longer than I'd predicted. Thanks for all the advice.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 12:00 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
If I'm headed to either Kelowna or Kamloops to burn a Marriott cat 4 night (both are Fairfields, only cat 4s in BC), which is the better choice? BC interior sunshine, water, and the beach won't mean much compared to what I'm used to.

Looking for some outdoor activities like hiking and rafting.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by msp3
Looking for some outdoor activities like hiking and rafting.
Are you flying into Kamloops or Kelowna, or driving there?

If driving - From Vancouver or from Calgary?
Old Jun 25, 2016, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by gglave
Are you flying into Kamloops or Kelowna, or driving there?

If driving - From Vancouver or from Calgary?
Flying into YVR, then driving out of town for the weekend.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by msp3
Flying into YVR, then driving out of town for the weekend.
In that case I would say Kamloops. Kelowna is the nicer city, but Kamloops is closer to hiking and rafting.

Rafting on the Thompson river or in the Fraser Canyon to / from Kamloops (hence the question about driving as you can head to / from Kamloops via the Fraser Canyon).

Hiking at Sun Peaks or all over the place, really.

If you google up these two you'll see lots of hits.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by gglave
In that case I would say Kamloops. Kelowna is the nicer city, but Kamloops is closer to hiking and rafting.

Rafting on the Thompson river or in the Fraser Canyon to / from Kamloops (hence the question about driving as you can head to / from Kamloops via the Fraser Canyon).

Hiking at Sun Peaks or all over the place, really.

If you google up these two you'll see lots of hits.
Thanks for the tip! and the Kamloops Fairfield looks pretty new
Old Jul 4, 2016, 1:46 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Personally, I wouldnt even compare Kamloops and Kelowna. Kelowna is 100% better.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.