2 Weeks 2 Kids 2 Countries In July

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2 Weeks 2 Kids 2 Countries In July

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2014, 7:14 am

Originally Posted by Shanye2233
Thanks looks like its a smaller complex then the Woodbury ones. My wife wanted the dkny store for kids. Is this store cheaper then the Woodbury outlets because there is no taxes .
Yep, in Pennsylvania no sales tax on clothing. Wave to your left @ exit 307, about 2 miles to Chez Lowly!

One note on the I-80 part of the trip. Be SURE you are out of NYC before the afternoon rush starts. If you leave in the morning, traffic will for the most part be going the other way, into the city, and it will be as painless as possible. Rush hour traffic through North Jersey and the Poconos is truly brutal anymore, and the last 10 miles of NJ, plus the first 20 of PA I-80 is only 2 lanes. Rush hour is an ugly scene 'round here!
Old Jul 1, 2014, 9:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: *A Gold, HH dia,Hyatt plat,Sixt PLAT,QF , EY Gold
Originally Posted by B1
The drive via Montreal to NYC is much longer and is not interesting between Toronto and Montreal. Instead, draw a direct line from Buffalo to NY and follow it as much as you care directly or via highways. There are nice hills and mountains all the way. The fastest route that is also nice is QEW from Toronto to the Peace Bridge. then I-90 to NY 400 to US 20A to I-390 to I-86 to NY 17. Pearl River is very far from NY and a long commute due to rail congestion into NY because of the limited capacity of the tunnel.

I have to stay in Montreal now and looking forward to seeing it and the French accents. If the Hilton at pearl river is too far what suggestions or options are there. My plan is to drive from Montreal to Woodbury stop and have some lunch and a look around. Then drive for another hour or two stay the night and if possible park the car there for 5 days while in NYC .

Just thinking driving from yyz to yul many seem to think the stop at thousand island parkway lunch and a stretch how's that sound .
Old Jul 1, 2014, 1:44 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry
Be careful. You have a lot of driving on unfamiliar roads planned for someone just arriving off a intercontinental flight (yes, with a night in YYZ, but how much sleep will you get?). Did it once before (Canada to Italy then drove 6 hrs) and will never do it again.
--
13F
Old Jul 1, 2014, 4:11 pm

Programs: AC*Tangerine
Just thinking driving from yyz to yul many seem to think the stop at thousand island parkway lunch and a stretch how's that sound .
That's a good picnic stop. The Division St exit in Kingston generally has (relatively) cheap gas and fast food. The Big Apple in Coburg (impossible to miss due to the giant red apple) has good apple pies and other apple products.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 3:37 am
Original Poster

Big red apple sounds like fun . So I should make it to Montreal stay the night then start my way to NYC . I really need somewhere to park the car now in NYC to avoid costs. Isn't there anything at one of the airports I can dump the car there for $9.99 a day and catch the train back to the andaz

Last edited by Shanye2233; Jul 2, 2014 at 9:24 am
Old Jul 2, 2014, 7:34 pm
Original Poster

Ok just a update . I have changed the car reservations now to one ways using my hertz points. So :
Two days one way : yyz to NYC (20 Morris street - lower battery park) closest to the andaz
Two days one way : NYC to Cleveland
One day one way : Cleveland to yyz

This way saves alot on parking and worrying About the car and I can use the hertz points I never thought il need.

Latest from IHG is

As per the email given to you previously on June 28th, our decision to close your IHG Rewards Club account and deny all Best Price Guarantee claims remains final. While it is generally not in our interest to close a members’ account, our decision to terminate your account and cancel the IHG Reward Nights remains. Any future correspondence from my office will only remind you of our decision previously made. Unfortunately, no further consideration will be given.

Any future contacts to IHG or IHG Rewards Club regarding this issue will go unanswered. Though I understand this is not the outcome you desired, we are no longer able to assist you further with this matter.

Sincerely,
Old Jul 3, 2014, 2:32 am
Original Poster

Anyone got a good Hyatt option coming from NYC to Cleveland . I want to stop on the way driving there and I need Hyatt stays for a diamond challenge. I'm searching Pittsburg but there is 7 Hyatt there . I'm looking to break up the journey stop have a swim and a descent breakfast.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 12:20 pm
B1

Anyone got a good Hyatt option coming from NYC to Cleveland . I want to stop on the way driving there and I need Hyatt stays for a diamond challenge. I'm searching Pittsburg but there is 7 Hyatt there . I'm looking to break up the journey stop have a swim and a descent breakfast.
The most direct and most pleasant route is to follow I-80 the whole way and there are no Hyatts. Pittsburgh is on the I-78 route, which is the Penn Turnpike, which is a toll and longer. How about seeing something nice for your overnight. I recommend http://www.nittanylioninn.psu.edu/ on the Penn State campus in State College - gives you a chance to see a unique big-time US college town in a lovely location not far from the interstate. It's a good place for an evening walk and seeing the Pennsylvania hills.
Old Jul 4, 2014, 1:29 am
Original Poster

Not really interesting for us . How about somewhere to stay close to those outlets with no taxes on the way to Cleveland .
Old Jul 4, 2014, 3:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Not really interesting for us . How about somewhere to stay close to those outlets with no taxes on the way to Cleveland .
There is always a few branded hotels near all the premium outlets in US and Canada.
Get to the outlet's specific location website and the map or info/accommodation page will list what is available there.
Old Jul 4, 2014, 9:55 am
Original Poster

Yeah thanks I saw that. I wanted to continue towards Cleveland the next day . I want to stop somewhere (half way) between NYC and Cleveland . The outlets are only 90 mins out.

If I continue another 2-3 hours that's where I want to spend the night. So the following day there's only another 3 hours or so to drive.

P,s what's the speed limit along the I-80 ?
Old Jul 5, 2014, 8:03 pm

Programs: UA1K/RCC, Avis CHM, NWA Plat, SPG Plat

Speed limits in the US are not consistent, so you cannot assume that it will be the same all the way along an entire stretch of highway.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 4:02 pm

As a general rule, the speed limit on interstate highways is either 55 mph or 65 mph, but summer = road construction, especially after the winter we had. In construction zones the speed limit may drop to 25 mph. If you are cited for speeding in a construction zone, usually the fine is doubled.

However, the reality on interstates is that the flow of traffic may be about 70 mph in the right/slower lane, and on some interstates the left/fast lane averages about 80 mph. Please note I am not advocating exceeding the legal speed limit, I am just recounting my personal observations.

A few other rules of the road to note:

In Pennsylvania there is a law requiring you to move a lane away from stopped emergency/law enforcement vehicles, and it is enforced. You are also expected to slow way down when you pass them. I think New York state also has this law, don't know about other states.

Slow traffic should keep right, faster traffic in the left lane. Some areas have a passing lane rule, where the left most lane is for passing only. Watch for signs on this rule.

Seat belts and car seats are required, and many states have made the seat belt law a primary offense, which means you can be pulled over for not wearing a seat belt. If your girls are 4 and 6, the 4 year old has to be in a child safety seat, and it's recommended for the 6 year old to have some sort of booster/safety seat.

Cell phones: many areas, especially parts of Ohio, have regulations concerning driving while talking on the phone without a hands-free device. Generally these rules aren't posted, so better off not to do it. Same with texting while driving.

Last edited by CDTraveler; Jul 7, 2014 at 3:07 pm
Old Jul 7, 2014, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by CDTraveler
In Pennsylvania there is a law requiring you to move a lane away from stopped emergency/law enforcement vehicles, and it is enforced. You are also expected to slow way down when you pass them. I think New York state also has this law, don't know about other states.
Yes, although it is actually move over (preferred) or slow down. A friend of mine can attest to the fact that at least in NY they will post a police car with lights flashing (if lights are not flashing, the requirement does not apply) for the sole purpose of catching cars not complying with the law. Per Wikipedia, you should assume that all states and provinces have such a law.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 3:16 pm

One other road rule to be aware of: again, in Pennsylvania and probably the surrounding states, if your windshield wipers are (or should be) on, your headlights must be on as well. If your car has daytime running lights or automatic on lights, this might not be much of an issue, but if you're not familiar with the rule, you might wonder why you see so many cars with their lights on in the rain.

Again, this is something that is enforced.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.