CTA issues harmonized baggage rules for international flights

Old Apr 17, 2014, 12:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver

http://www.ctvnews.ca/business/cta-i...ghts-1.1779436

OTTAWA -- The Canadian Transportation Agency says that starting in the fall, passengers on international flights through Canada will be subjected to just one set of rules governing baggage allotments and fees even if they use a number of carriers.

The regulator says it is adopting U.S. baggage rules to create a harmonized and "seamless" approach across North America for flights purchased on a single ticket.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 1:11 pm

Programs: Thai Gold, UA, AA, SWA
Not sure if the US rules are clear either. If I connect to an international carrier, say in New York, and my flight originates in Dallas, I have to pay for baggage DFW-JFK even though the other carrier has no baggage fees.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 4:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by duniawala
Not sure if the US rules are clear either. If I connect to an international carrier, say in New York, and my flight originates in Dallas, I have to pay for baggage DFW-JFK even though the other carrier has no baggage fees.
I am presuming that you are on separate tickets and are not checking your bags through DFW-INTL DESTINATION.

Under DOT rules, you are subject to at least the baggage allowance for your first segment on a ticket for all segments on that ticket. Thus, if you are assessed a $25 fee for a bag from DFW-JFK, you cannot be assessed more than $25 for your JFK-INTERNATIONAL-JFK-DFW.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.