Pearson airport to change extreme weather protocol

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2014, 2:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver
Pearson airport to change extreme weather protocol

http://www.citynews.ca/2014/04/10/pe...ther-protocol/

Canada’s busiest airport is changing how it deals with extreme winter weather and other disruptions after a deep freeze earlier this year triggered a partial shutdown that slowed travel for days.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 6:24 pm

Programs: AC*Tangerine
Having suffered through that debacle on 6/7 Jan, that was a pretty interesting read. The apron issues caused my inbound flight to wait over an hour after landing for a gate. On my outbound flight, we were stuck for 5 hours at the gate after boarding before moving an inch - the gate was frozen in place.

It was pretty clear to me at the time that AC was doing its best under the circumstances, (although I know the hundreds of people in line at 0300 hrs would probably disagree). It was the GTAA who failed to deliver in providing critical gate, luggage and other services.

The report completely misses one simple but significant issue. Upgraded wifi and mobile network service to handle increased numbers of pax in the terminals is needed, but so are more power outlets to recharge phones. If we are expected to rebook online or over the phone, we need to be able to recharge.

Unsurprisingly, the report entirely sidesteps the issue of whether large numbers of GTAA workers called in sick to avoid working outside in the extreme cold, as some media reports suggested at the time. I wouldn't want to talk about that publically either, if I were on a "blue ribbon panel."
Old Apr 15, 2014, 7:47 pm

Programs: Non-Rev Lifetime
I'm sick and tired of this "extreme weather" guff.

GTAA has being using the excuse since last November to explain why their sliding doors are semi activated.

It's all about saving money by not running heaters between the doors.

Rather than fix things, let's blame an imaginary problem.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 6:58 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Exclamation GTAA action plan is a dud

I read this entire action plan, located at:
http://www.torontopearson.com/pearso...id=4294987464#
Sadly, it is a complete dud. More snow equipment, a mobile app? Seriously, GTAA has real problems and now (after a crisis) is the time to fix it!

The only "positive" I see is the creation of a blue ribbon panel to receive suggestions! That begs the question, what is the responsibility of management?? They need to step up and show LEADEERSHIP!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.