Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Shocking cost of air travel in Canada... Who's to blame????

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Shocking cost of air travel in Canada... Who's to blame????

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2014, 3:05 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Airlines price the market, not the product. The reason YYZ-YVR is so expensive compared to similar stage lengths in US is Canadians are buying tickets at these prices, whereas Americans would not.
Old May 25, 2014, 4:41 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by respectable_man
The reason YYZ-YVR is so expensive compared to similar stage lengths in US is Canadians are buying tickets
Did you read the other posts in this thread?

The reason YYZ-YVR is so 'expensive' compared to a similar US route is because it costs much more to operate an aircraft between those two points in Canada than it does in the USA, and those costs are passed on to the consumer.

- Landing fees
- ATC fees
- Fuel taxes

etc.

...all are higher in Canada.
Old May 26, 2014, 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by gglave
Did you read the other posts in this thread?

The reason YYZ-YVR is so 'expensive' compared to a similar US route is because it costs much more to operate an aircraft between those two points in Canada than it does in the USA, and those costs are passed on to the consumer.

- Landing fees
- ATC fees
- Fuel taxes

etc.

...all are higher in Canada.
Plus HST, AIF, NAVCAN, HST/AIF is usually around 100 bucks on its own.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 8:15 pm

Programs: Non-Rev Lifetime
Originally Posted by Seat64A
I noticed how high fares were years ago. Coming from Europe where we have airlines such as Ryanair and easyJet I was particularly surprised at how high fares on Canadian "low cost" airlines were (with the possible exception of JetsGo).

I think Canadian governments' protectionism has produced a situation where the competition which exists does not work in the consumer's favour.

Take Canadian Airlines, for example. My understanding is that AMR Corp (owners of American Airlines) was interested in buying it. Yet it fell into the hands of Air Canada. I seem to recall reading that the Canadian government didn't want foreign ownership of a major airline. Odd given how much more of the Canadian economy is now American owned. (Anyone remember the "Laura Secord captured by the Americans" headlines?!)
Your understanding and recollection is faulty.

http://www.camagazine.com/archives/p...zine20828.aspx
Old Feb 4, 2016, 5:37 pm

Sorry to rehash this thread but just came across a fun video from Garry Marr of the Financial Post that broke down the taxes and fees of his flight to Florida and thought it would be good to tag it onto here...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.