Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving to Canada, moving to Vancouver. What do I need to know?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Moving to Canada, moving to Vancouver. What do I need to know?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2013, 12:09 pm
B1

Originally Posted by gglave
OT, but if you want to get rid of a CRT TV, and it's working, bundle it up in plastic, with the remote, and put it out on the curb with a 'FREE' sign on it.

Then put an ad on Craigslist-FREE stating there's a free CRT TV, X inches, remote included, in front of 123 Main street.

Unless you live in the boonies, it will be gone in under two hours.
It was in the super-boonies (as they say in Chicago) so the roadside didn't work but the dump had a trailer devoted to these and related items of electronic stuff for which we now pay a fee when we buy them.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 12:22 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by B1
It was in the super-boonies (as they say in Chicago) so the roadside didn't work but the dump had a trailer devoted to these and related items of electronic stuff for which we now pay a fee when we buy them.
The advantage of Craigslist-Free over the dump is some hipster will actually take the TV home and use it, as opposed to it just being dismantled into it's e-waste component carcinogens by child labour is Guiyu.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 11:20 am

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
I think the comments in this thread are quite true. Especially the bits about needing a gore-tex jacket!

Vancouver is a lovely place in general, and when the weather is good it's a spectacular place. They have trouble handling snow which is odd for a Canadian city, but they're getting better at it.

From an FT perspective, I think YVR airport is one of the nicest anywhere.

As a previous poster mention, Vancouver is a pretty multicultural place and the population reflects the general makeup of Canada as a whole. I would say that Toronto is perhaps more multicultural but that's probably to be expected given that Toronto is a significantly bigger city. One of the outcomes of being as multicultural as we are, is I think a general perspective that's inclusive and looks outward as well as looking inward. I've always found that the American perspective is much more inward looking and tends to naturally exclude other perspectives.

I think the biggest difference between America and Canada is that the US is a melting pot. People from all over the world go to America and they get assimilated. So even though you may be say, Greek originally, you'll end up being Greek-American. Or you could be Chinese-American, or Italian-American or whatever. But you're always an American.

Here in Canada, we are a cultural mosaic where everyone is separate but equal. It's only when you put all of us together that you get the big picture - and what a picture it is! I have friends who are Polish, Ukrainian, Chinese, Greek, Italian ... And if you were to ask them what they are, they would reply "I'm Greek" or "I'm Italian". But once we go outside of Canada, every one of us is just plain Canadian. Separate but equal - we're able to maintain a duality without any sense of conflict.

And yes, Canadians do say "I'm sorry" a lot. And Tim Horton's is a strong brand here. Many people have coffee from Timmies with 2 creams and 2 sugars so much so that you can go to almost any coffee shop in Canada and ask for a "double double". And lastly, hockey really is a big deal up here.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 11:25 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Originally Posted by RCyyz
As a previous poster mention, Vancouver is a pretty multicultural place and the population reflects the general makeup of Canada as a whole. I would say that Toronto is perhaps more multicultural but that's probably to be expected given that Toronto is a significantly bigger city.
Would you say Toronto is also a livelier city with more going on as Vancouver seemed quite mellow, with not too many young people partying out on town?
Old Dec 11, 2013, 1:28 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by aster
Would you say Toronto is also a livelier city with more going on as Vancouver seemed quite mellow, with not too many young people partying out on town?
It's hard to party out on the town when everyone has to be up at 6am to go hiking.
Old Dec 15, 2013, 11:37 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Well, Vancouver has a pretty backwards and ancient policy about alcohol. City Hall tried to hire an official "party planner" but that didn't go well.
Old Jul 9, 2016, 9:44 pm

Living In Vancouver, B.C

Canada is a nice place I lived in Vancouver, B.C for a short time it's all the little things that make a big difference I'd say the transit system is very modern compared to the US ones. Lots of condo's I found a place there moved a few times. they have a few things i didn't have back home I liked a lot such as the day car rentals like zipcar and modo they even have a company that delivers moving supplies gorillabox.ca oh and lots of food take out places so many restaurants!
Old Jul 13, 2016, 11:12 am

When my American relatives visited us in Vancouver, they mentioned that they have never seen so many Asians in their life. The Asian population relatively diverse. To take the Chinese as an example; initially, the Chinese arriving here were mainly from Hong Kong, from Cantonese speaking parts of China, and Taiwan. Then later, more people from Mainland China arrived. Today we have many Canadian-born Chinese (called CBC) who can barely speak their parent's native language.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by baldsmooth
When my American relatives visited us in Vancouver, they mentioned that they have never seen so many Asians in their life. The Asian population relatively diverse. To take the Chinese as an example; initially, the Chinese arriving here were mainly from Hong Kong, from Cantonese speaking parts of China, and Taiwan. Then later, more people from Mainland China arrived. Today we have many Canadian-born Chinese (called CBC) who can barely speak their parent's native language.
CBC has been around Canadian west coast before WWII.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 5:55 am

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by tentseller
CBC has been around Canadian west coast before WWII.
my wife's uncle was born in the 30s in Vancouver and had to go back to china to learn cantonese.....even then, when he attended strathcona, the pictures he has are of a remarkably diverse student population.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.