Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

any difference between 5 year and 10 year passport?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

any difference between 5 year and 10 year passport?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2013, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by painintheuk
i just checked my soon to be ex-passport - 24 pages, 19 'useful' pages {canada page, photo/details page, signature/endorsements/limitations page, loss or theft page, observations page - what is the extra non-page in the new 10-year passports?}.

It may not be double (which is what i would choose) but it is still 50% more.

Dr. Pituk
do not stamp on this page (35)
Old Jul 20, 2013, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Well, I´d have to disagree with you to some extent: While the "standard" old passport indeed only had 24 pages, one could get a 48 page passport for ~$5 more - which was a no-brainer IMO for any semi-regular flier.

So from my point of view the new passport has 2% fewer pages and is supposed to last twice as long. While I never needed to worry about running out of pages with the old passport, it will be a major concern with the new one.
That is what most of us will miss, the 48pages passport. Even they only last me average 3-4 years it is still useful. I can see having to renew every 2 year will be a hassel.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 6:32 pm

Programs: AC SE 2MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum
Just renewed my 48-pager, which was full except for one page after 30 months. Having filled my last two passports at the same rate, I was disappointed that the new 36-pager effectively has only 67% of the capacity. Also not so keen on the screened prints on each page (why do they have to be so dark?)

Don't understand why they can't make a 48 or 60 pager available at extra cost, for those of us who need them....
Old Dec 31, 2013, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by YEG ex Executive Platinum
Just renewed my 48-pager, which was full except for one page after 30 months. Having filled my last two passports at the same rate, I was disappointed that the new 36-pager effectively has only 67% of the capacity. Also not so keen on the screened prints on each page (why do they have to be so dark?)

Don't understand why they can't make a 48 or 60 pager available at extra cost, for those of us who need them....
Better yet reduce the rates to the original rates but with an epassport (this is what the 'world class' Philippines did.)
Old Jan 18, 2014, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Just received my next passport - very nice layout IMO, but the limited number of pages is a major nuisance. It´s actually worse than expected - there are only 29 usable pages.

How on earth should 29 pages last 10 years?!? Even semi-frequent travellers will have problems.
Old Jan 18, 2014, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just received my next passport - very nice layout IMO, but the limited number of pages is a major nuisance. It´s actually worse than expected - there are only 29 usable pages.

How on earth should 29 pages last 10 years?!? Even semi-frequent travellers will have problems.
Even India has 60 pages passport...
(granted it's not the world's most usable passport...)
Old Jan 18, 2014, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
Even India has 60 pages passport...
(granted it's not the world's most usable passport...)
If you need a visa for most countries, having 60 pages isn´t any better.

I guess I´ll eventually have to look into getting a second passport, though from what I´ve heard Passport Canada is rather stingy issuing a second passport.
Old Jan 19, 2014, 3:46 pm

Keep in mind that the frequency of US stamps in Canadian passports is probably going down. This does not help with full page visas, of course.

Would it be legal to put a full page visa over a page with stamps? Or over another expired visa?
Old Jan 19, 2014, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sokolov
Keep in mind that the frequency of US stamps in Canadian passports is probably going down.
How so?
Old Jan 19, 2014, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Keep in mind that the frequency of US stamps in Canadian passports is probably going down. This does not help with full page visas, of course.

Would it be legal to put a full page visa over a page with stamps? Or over another expired visa?
Over another expired visa would probably not fit and removal of the old visa is passport mutilation.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 12:00 am

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
How so?
Probably Nexus and GE. Most my stamps were US
Old Jan 30, 2014, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SKYEG
Probably Nexus and GE. Most my stamps were US
I wonder how many people actually enroll in it that don't frequently cross, though?
Old Jan 31, 2014, 3:18 am

How so?
I'm not a member of Nexus or Global Entry. Still, my passport has not been stamped when I recently crossed into the US at YYZ.

US land crossing haven't stamped my passport in a long time.

I expect the stamping of Canadian passports at US borders to become less common overall.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 11:33 am

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
I'm not a member of Nexus or Global Entry. Still, my passport has not been stamped when I recently crossed into the US at YYZ.

US land crossing haven't stamped my passport in a long time.

I expect the stamping of Canadian passports at US borders to become less common overall.

Hmm interesting, I have gone through regular check points when friends/colleagues dont have GE/Nexus, and they are always stamped. Didn't know that they stopped stamping at all!
Old Apr 11, 2016, 2:08 pm

Conspiracy of paper shufflers

I am mighty annoyed that the new passports have so few pages. I filled up my last one in three years. So, why is the Canadian government making them so few pages? Clearly, this is in order to control international movements of individuals. But what is the best solution? I say, 'vote with your feet'. Problem is there are no libertarian (small L) jurisdictions on the planet, and those that are somewhat tend to be be conservative, which you might not be. I am not, except fiscally.

We have to deal with bureaucracies of the State everywhere. There is no market place of travel documents. You can't escape Big Brother. Passports are just one aspect.

I am never at ease with just one passport. I encourage all free men to have at least two - both legally obtained. Problem is they are all expensive. I am talking hundreds of thousands of dollars. Just like offshore banking in tax havens, the rich have had these for decades. I am a poor but 'rootless cosmopolitan' with allegiance to no nation. But this coercive concept of nationality follows me as a yoke. It is very frustrating, as if your landlord follows you around the world.

Of course there are legitimate security concerns. A simpler way to drastically reduce people coming into the country to blow up innocents would be to profile. There are not many 75 year-old female Buddhist suicide bombers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.