Wiki Posts
Search

How bad is Pearson airport? Many poor reviews on skytraxx

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2013, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Just curious: What donīt you like about YYZ?
As a (mercifully) infrequent YYZ traveler, my biggest problems with YYZ are terminal layout, ridiculous lack of signage, pathetic restaurant options and the double security on connections. My recent experience is entirely trans-border connecting on AC.

Coming from the US, after one exits customs/immigration, the queue down the Connecting Pax corridor was packed with pax and no apparent priority lane. I simply exited customs and figured I'd just depart as an originating pax. However, few signs directing one to much of anything. I head up the escalator to "explore". Lo and behold a small check-in area manned by one agent, with a queue of pax. No departure monitors. No gate signs. I see security but no signs as to what is behind security? Domestic? International? Trans-border? I cut the line and ask the CI agent where to find my gate. OK, I am in right place. Once thru security, again few signs. No obvious signs for the MLL. I take the escalator down and see MLL sign. Take the elevator up and of course it stops right at the security level I had just left.

Connecting to the US. Another stupid layout, long walks and confusing signs to trans-border area. I exit and just start as a departing pax. NEXUS speeds my re-entry into one of the most poorly planned departure terminal since... YUL. Few power outlets. Pathetic lack of restaurant options with the Molson Cafe the apparent signature culinary star.

Why anyone would willingly put up with two security checks and transfer in YYZ is beyond me.
Old May 5, 2013, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Goodtimes321
- MLL is alot nicer and cleaner then any of the United Clubs,
Perhaps, but that's not exactly a stellar comparison. FWIW, the YUL TB MLL...

Old May 5, 2013, 1:28 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
One day, YYZ will have moving walkways and when they do, they will be operational.
The lack of moving walkways speaks volumes as to the poor planning and poor management that distinguishes the airport.
Old May 5, 2013, 1:57 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Originally Posted by steve4031
I am planning a potential award flight redemption on AC from ORD to Toronto to Paris in BC. I looked at the sky traxx reviews and they were pretty negative regarding signage, and lack of food. I looked and saw comprehensive list of restaurants in terminal 1 such as A&W in terminal one as well as Tim Hortons and several others Plus I will be using the Maple Leaf Lounge too.

Is this airport as bad as skytraxx reviews claim?

Thanks
I'd say it's far more pleasant than ORD. The MLLs are excellent by North American standards - free booze, usually some type of prepared nibbles/soup, a lot of good free publications and free computers to access the Internet at their business center. Food/shopping options are pretty standard in the terminal.
Old May 5, 2013, 2:03 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Originally Posted by SFO777
Some of you YYZ guys are being overly generous and sensitive. IMO/IME, YYZ is one of the worst airports in the world. Period.
Er, no.

Just off the top of my head, I can think of the following airports that have caused me far more grief than YYZ:

SFO
LGA
EWR
JFK
ORD
MDW
LHR
EZE
LIM
YMM (OK, it's an outlier, but still...)
GIG
MEX
IAD
MIA

You get the picture...

To the OP: There's a certain subset of Canadians that enjoys complaining about things a great deal.

Honestly, YYZ is not terrible. Is it the greatest airport in the universe? No. But it's nothing like the misery that people make it out to be. I think it's because people have a tendency to get stuck there for connections, due to weather delays, etc., so they associate it with bad experiences - much like people always like to complain about ORD, which as an airport itself isn't that bad.
Old May 5, 2013, 2:13 pm

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA
Honestly, YYZ is not terrible. Is it the greatest airport in the universe? No. But it's nothing like the misery that people make it out to be. I think it's because people have a tendency to get stuck there for connections, due to weather delays, etc., so they associate it with bad experiences - much like people always like to complain about ORD, which as an airport itself isn't that bad.
+1.
Weather delays, connections, and surly AC staff are not the fault of the airport admin.

Also, most Canadians who travel to YYZ will encounter far greater lineups and hassles there than in their regional airports. My greatest hassles have been at Pearson, but they're the kind of hassles I probably wouldn't get at a smaller airport.

Point taken that this airport, with the funding it gets, really should be a lot better than it is.
Old May 5, 2013, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA
I'd say it's far more pleasant than ORD. The MLLs are excellent by North American standards - free booze, usually some type of prepared nibbles/soup, a lot of good free publications and free computers to access the Internet at their business center. Food/shopping options are pretty standard in the terminal.
Nonsense. If you fly AA, connecting at T3 at ORD is easy. And the ORD AC is much better than any MLL I've visited. AAgents that are universally friendly and helpful. Fast Wifi for everyone not just effing elites. MLL nibbles are garbage. And you must be joking about food/shopping options being "pretty standard" at YYZ. Nothing I've seen at YYZ (domestic or TB) is even close to Rick Bayless' Frontera at ORD. Even PIT has far better shopping, although PIT restaurants are crap, pretty much like YYZ.
Old May 5, 2013, 4:05 pm

Programs: United Silver and HH Diamond

YYZ can be a bit of a pain for Canada->US connections or intīl->US connections, but US->intīl is among the most pleasant airport experiences Iīve had.
I am still a bit peeved about this airport holding my luggage for two days, three years ago. I flew BOS-YYZ-SCL (all flights on Air Canada and all flights on the same ticket). I specifically asked in Boston if I needed to claim my luggage in YYZ (and go through security or customs) since I was transiting through the airport. They said, "no, it will show up in SCL" Well, my luggage never arrived in Santiago, Chile. It was sitting in some holding pen in YYZ for me to come and get (and re-check-in)! Two days later, AC had the luggage sent to Easter Island (where I was). AC claimed that the airport sometimes decides to make transiting passengers claim their luggage (but most of the time, they will not). Crazy airport.
Old May 5, 2013, 4:32 pm

Any comments from YYZ-based FFs ought to be ignored
Old May 5, 2013, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by ChinaShrek
I am still a bit peeved about this airport holding my luggage for two days, three years ago. I flew BOS-YYZ-SCL (all flights on Air Canada and all flights on the same ticket). I specifically asked in Boston if I needed to claim my luggage in YYZ (and go through security or customs) since I was transiting through the airport. They said, "no, it will show up in SCL" Well, my luggage never arrived in Santiago, Chile. It was sitting in some holding pen in YYZ for me to come and get (and re-check-in)! Two days later, AC had the luggage sent to Easter Island (where I was). AC claimed that the airport sometimes decides to make transiting passengers claim their luggage (but most of the time, they will not). Crazy airport.
Very strange. So you flew US-YYZ-intīl - all on AC, presumably on one ticket - and were later told you should have collected your baggage and re-checked it?

I think I know the airport very well and honestly have no idea how that should work. When flying US-YYZ-intīl you walk down the long corridor, use the transit immigration/passport control and walk down a long corridor again. Thereīs no baggage claim area and no security on the way.
Old May 6, 2013, 6:46 am

Programs: United Silver and HH Diamond
Very strange. So you flew US-YYZ-intīl - all on AC, presumably on one ticket - and were later told you should have collected your baggage and re-checked it?
Yup. That's why AC said my luggage was delayed from coming to SCL. I can still figure it out.
Old May 8, 2013, 10:40 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
I live in Vancouver.

I agree that transiting YYZ to / from the USA is the pits.

To the USA you've got poor / unclear signage, weird tiny security (with more security upstairs) and confusing rent-a-cops gating access to transborder for connecting PAX.

Back to Canada you've got impossibly large CBSA queues (perhaps not Pearson's fault per se), a confusing elevator ride and yet more security.

As a result, I usually just connect in SEA, ORD, DEN or IAH - Costing AC $$$.

AC / Pearson could possibly lure me back if AC offered me free standby on earlier flights out of YYZ. I usually book a long connection because of all the gong-show, but if I had the option to show up for a flight to YVR or LGA and board it it would probably make up for the above. But of course that's not an option, so I give my money to UA.

Last edited by gglave; May 8, 2013 at 11:03 am
Old May 8, 2013, 10:51 am

Programs: Free Agent
use both extensively.
YYZ to international is a long walk but doable
luggage handling is a nightmare- but I suspect most road warriors used to carry on will say the same the rare time they have to check bags
YYZ transborder has lots of GE and Nexus machines so hopping the line is painless.
agree on the comment re double security- as I can't control this, I suck it up. FYI- recent experience at ORD: the preclear agent made me put my tiny little bag with souvenir candy for the kids into my suitcase as it was deemed a 'third piece'- nuts, but I complied and pulled it out once past her throne.
so, chose flights for comfort not airport experience or fear of same would be my recommendation.
Old May 10, 2013, 5:27 am

To be fair the Intl->Domestic and US->Domestic connection process is awful. After picking up and rechecking bags and entering Canada you end up in the landside area of the terminal with no idea where to go or why. You have to walk all the way through the landside terminal to the regular checkin area and re-enter the airport. The signage is nearly nonexistent and where it exists it just points you towards open areas.

I've done it multiple times and each time, even having done it before, I get lost wandering around looking for where to go. I can't think of any other airport in the world where that's happened.

This doesn't matter for US->Intl or Intl->US so I guess we can see where YYZ sees the $$$
Old May 10, 2013, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by zkzkz
To be fair the Intl->Domestic and US->Domestic connection process is awful. After picking up and rechecking bags and entering Canada you end up in the landside area of the terminal with no idea where to go or why. You have to walk all the way through the landside terminal to the regular checkin area and re-enter the airport. The signage is nearly nonexistent and where it exists it just points you towards open areas.

I've done it multiple times and each time, even having done it before, I get lost wandering around looking for where to go. I can't think of any other airport in the world where that's happened.
I agree the signage probably is quite bad at YYZ, but I donīt understand the "walk all the way through the landside terminal and re-enter the airport" reference.

The process is:

1. go to baggage drop off area for connecting pax (to the left of the exit area of the customs hall) - even if you left through the regular exit for those stay in YYZ that would only add an extra 10m-20m
2. walk 10m to the left and take elevator upstairs
3. turn left and walk about 30m, turn left and walk another 30m and youīre at the security check

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.