9 hours in YYZ, is Niagara possible?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

9 hours in YYZ, is Niagara possible?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:29 pm

Programs: AC, AA, UA, BA, Hilton
Here's an old thread from last year with some driving tips and other ideas for someone who also had planned what originally was an overnighter in NF but came back the same evening to stay near YYZ.
Thread is at: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...here-stay.html

In answer to your question about highway 403: You'll pick it up shortly after leaving the airport heading westbound on the 401. Look for the signs for it and be careful to follow the directions as it splits toward Brampton and the 410 (you don't want that!) or towards Hamilton and Oakville, which you do want. The 403 then takes you to the QEW in Oakville and you follow the QEW all the way into NF (highway 420 for the last five miles to NF) which should take you about 1.5 hours or less if traffic is moving well. Use the HOV lanes since you'll have at least two people in your car, but stay off the 407 as it's not necessary and you'll get hit with charges and penalty costs from the rental company if you use it.

It's an easy drive there and back, just be aware of your times and follow the signs for NF (and the return on the QEW, 403, 401) as you get closer to the area.

One last thought though...any delays to your inbound flight to YYZ, or through customs and immigration and then rental car pickup may be too long to make the round trip in time for your next flight. So be sure you've got enough time to make the trip. If not, a quick visit to downtown Toronto may be a better alternative, without a rental car though as traffic and parking can be a hassle. Use a limo or taxi for that (about $50 each way).

bj-21.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 4:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by blackjack-21
Here's an old thread from last year with some driving tips and other ideas for someone who also had planned what originally was an overnighter in NF but came back the same evening to stay near YYZ.
Thread is at: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...here-stay.html

In answer to your question about highway 403: You'll pick it up shortly after leaving the airport heading westbound on the 401. Look for the signs for it and be careful to follow the directions as it splits toward Brampton and the 410 (you don't want that!) or towards Hamilton and Oakville, which you do want. The 403 then takes you to the QEW in Oakville and you follow the QEW all the way into NF (highway 420 for the last five miles to NF) which should take you about 1.5 hours or less if traffic is moving well. Use the HOV lanes since you'll have at least two people in your car, but stay off the 407 as it's not necessary and you'll get hit with charges and penalty costs from the rental company if you use it.

It's an easy drive there and back, just be aware of your times and follow the signs for NF (and the return on the QEW, 403, 401) as you get closer to the area.

One last thought though...any delays to your inbound flight to YYZ, or through customs and immigration and then rental car pickup may be too long to make the round trip in time for your next flight. So be sure you've got enough time to make the trip. If not, a quick visit to downtown Toronto may be a better alternative, without a rental car though as traffic and parking can be a hassle. Use a limo or taxi for that (about $50 each way).

bj-21.

Thank you bj,

Yes, downtown Toronto has been my back up plan. Just curiosity though, why would the rental car charge for using 407 (since we have already pay toll), and more importantly, how would they know anyway which route we took or 407 or not?
Old Jan 27, 2013, 6:04 am

Originally Posted by jrey
Thank you bj,

Yes, downtown Toronto has been my back up plan. Just curiosity though, why would the rental car charge for using 407 (since we have already pay toll), and more importantly, how would they know anyway which route we took or 407 or not?
If the car has no 407 transponder, it'll get photographed at entrance and again at exit to calculate the tolls/kms driven, and billed to rental company, who then charges you the toll PLUS some admin fee (better ask)
There is no toll booths to collect at ramp entrance nor on the highway, so do not enter 407 unless you know what you're doing

Like I said earlier, just don't do it, it's not worth it

I am just learning about Miami's electronic toll (similar to 407, cashless), and some horror stories come out, where rental companies charge $25 to $100 PER toll... some people used $1, $1 of tolls and got billed $100 EACH TIME (so $2 + $202)......... WOW
Old Jan 27, 2013, 6:18 am

Programs: AC, AA, UA, BA, Hilton
The 407 is a toll road that uses a transponder from the car that sends a signal when entering and leaving the road to a receiver that records someone's useage for each trip. There are no tollboths where you pay either entering or leaving that highway. Rather, the transponder on each car is recorded as it passes onto and off of the road and the person who is assigned that transponder is then billed monthly for the trips. I don't think rental cars have a transponder on them, although you can check with your rental company if they can have one for you to use on your rental (possibly for a fee). If someone enters the 407 without said transponder there are cameras that can record the vehicle's license plate and that information is sent to the company that runs the toll collections who then bills the car's owner for the toll plus penalties for not using a transponder at the time. Most rental companies, it's been reported, then pass on the fees, penalties, and their own additional administration charges to the renters for that trip.

You won't need to use the 407 as it'll be just as fast in your case to use the 401, 403, and QEW to get to NF and back. Hopefully when you go there won't be any traffic jams or tieups to hold you up, and you don't get lost on your way down and back to YYZ. It's worth the quick trip if you have the time, just be aware of your outbound flight's timings.

bj-21.

Looks like jerryhung beat me to the reply, and we agree it's not needed.

Last edited by blackjack-21; Jan 27, 2013 at 6:21 am Reason: My slow typing!
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:43 am
Original Poster

I see. So the rental car company will bill you later after you get home or just charge directly to the credit card? I will do everything to avoid 407 then. I thought there was just a regular tollbooth.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Standard rental contract around Toronto has the 407 clause built in which spell out the terms of using the 407 and all cost involved if the rental company was sent a bill for usage during your rental period. Since each vehicle gets one monthly bill the bill has to be broken down to date and time of use and reconciled with the rental periods the car was out for. So the administrative cost and company overhead is quite high.

It also provide for automatic charging to credit card of 407 fees, traffic voilcation fees which are charged to the vehicle like red light camera fees and illegal parking fines, etc; which the renter consented to as part of the rental agreement.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 12:47 am

how did this work out? I also have a 9hr layover (9am to 6pm on a Friday) and was considering driving over to NF as well.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by glynot
how did this work out? I also have a 9hr layover (9am to 6pm on a Friday) and was considering driving over to NF as well.
Up-thread there is a post about ducks lining up. With morning and afternoon rush hours on a Friday you would need all the planets lining up.

I would plan an alternative.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 3:30 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by tentseller
Up-thread there is a post about ducks lining up. With morning and afternoon rush hours on a Friday you would need all the planets lining up.

I would plan an alternative.
9 am to 6 pm shouldn't be too bad. Traffic will be settling down by the time you're out of the airport in the morning and if you aim to be back by 4 pm you'll miss the worst of the evening rush hour. Someone mentioned the Table Rock restaurant earlier, "Elements on the Falls" is the current name, the food's not great, but it is acceptable and the view's pretty good. Parking is complimentary if you make a reservation there. details here I think heading down to the Falls for lunch would be a good use of your 9 hours.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 9:38 pm

Programs: United, Cathay, Delta, Priority Pass (gold), SPG
Hi, I think it is doable. But think you may be better of if you hire a local to help you out with it, so that they know the routes, save you time on car pick up or drop off; and if they know that there is a jam on the way; they simply tell you before you start off.

Why dont you look up some Niagra Falls tour guides from below, and write to them. I am sure they will be able to advise. If its reasonable, then you could consider.

http://www.tourhq.com/canada/niagara-falls-tours-guide
Old Mar 26, 2014, 6:46 am

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Could always do a helicopter tour.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 12:10 am

Thanks all, I think I'll just make a car rental reservation then decide last-minute depending on how long it takes me to get out of the airport.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 9:29 pm

Programs: Air Miles, Aeroplan, MR
Originally Posted by motownrunner
As someone who grew up in the Buffalo area and made countless tour-guide trips to Niagara Falls with relatives, friends, associates ...

1. Do not, under any circumstance, cross a bridge to the U.S. Once upon a time a motorist could cross any of them without being asked even the basic "Citizen of?" question. The subsequent introduction of more rigorous inspections means longer waits in both directions for passport checks, especially on a Friday. Besides, the best vantages for viewing are on the Canadian side, even though there are two U.S. falls (the larger American and ribbon-thin Bridal Veil). For a longer visit by all means cross, but not during your small window.

2. Parking can be a problem, especially if pleasant weather brings larger crowds. There are two Marriotts practically side-by-side on the ridge above the falls, the Niagara Falls Gateway on the Falls and Niagara Falls Fallsview. On-site parking is $20/$25 Canadian (there are other lots nearby) and you will save the hassle of searching for spaces. It's less than a 10-minute walk down the hill to the river and approaching the cascades on foot is its own pleasure. As a plus, you can have a late lunch in either hotel's restaurants and enjoy an elevated view of the panorama before driving back.

3. Wear comfortable shoes. You will walk much more than you expect and the walkways along the river are pedestrian-friendly. The view and sound are different depending on your vantage. After you stand at the railing on the edge of the Canadian cascade make sure to walk upriver for several hundred yards, where you'll see the mist and sense the water going over but the sound is muffled. Likewise, walk downriver until you are opposite the U.S. falls for the view back up the river. There is a point between the two main cascades where the sounds is not only a constant roar but has a stereo quality.

4. Bundle up. Even on a beautiful day in May the water is cold thanks to snow runoff and melting ice, especially after this winter. Extra sweaters, a windbreaker and even a rain jacket are not out of the question.

5. Consider saving the Maid of the Mist and other attractions for next time. There can be long lines for either attraction and posted wait times do not always reflect reality. If you cannot resist, make sure you have a change of clothes in the car, because the ponchos are next to worthless.

6. This is one of the most entertaining people-watching spots on the globe. In an hour you'll hear dozens of languages and see a wide variety of attire. It's like standing outside the United Nations.

7. There are a few key spots where people line up to take photos. It's worth the wait.

Enjoy.
All good point 9 hours should be fine. I work at 427 & QEW highways and regularly do a Niagara Falls round-trip to pick up US online purchases on the NY side. If I leave before 2:30pm on a weekday it's less than 90 mins to the border/Falls. Worst part is through Oakville but then it opens up after that. Give yourself minimum 2 hours to get back as there will be traffic if you have to get back by 7:00pm. If you get there early enough you may be able to squeeze in the walk behind the Falls on the CDN side.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 11:30 pm

To close the loop on this, 9h was plenty of time. I picked up the car about 9.30, got to the falls about 11.30, left slightly after 1. Dropped off car at about 3 with enough time for a shower and light meal before my 6pm flight. And this was a Friday.
Thanks all!
Old Jul 27, 2014, 4:21 pm

Would 7 hours and 55 minutes on a Saturday at the end of August work? I have Hertz gold which usually seems to help make the rental car pickup and drop off go quicker.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.