Search

Looking to get a Working Visa for Canada

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2012, 11:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA, LM // HH, CP
Looking to get a Working Visa for Canada

Hello,

I'm trying to find out the easiest way to get a working visa in Canada. I was hoping to find someone with experience in this that could help me. I'm from America so I would hope it's not a difficult process. My girlfriend lives in Vancouver and would like to live and work there with her. I currently have a TESOL certificate which I received in Vancouver and allows me to teach legally in Canada but I still need a visa if I want to do that :P

So, does anyone have experience getting a visa as an American and how long would it take to get everything sorted out? I would like to move there at the start of next year but that seems a little too quick. But maybe I don't know.
Is it possible to go to Canada under the visitor visa which is 6months and work without getting a work visa? Or apply for one once in Canada and already working?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 11:52 am

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
Originally Posted by imslippy
Hello,

I'm trying to find out the easiest way to get a working visa in Canada. I was hoping to find someone with experience in this that could help me. I'm from America so I would hope it's not a difficult process. My girlfriend lives in Vancouver and would like to live and work there with her. I currently have a TESOL certificate which I received in Vancouver and allows me to teach legally in Canada but I still need a visa if I want to do that :P

So, does anyone have experience getting a visa as an American and how long would it take to get everything sorted out? I would like to move there at the start of next year but that seems a little too quick. But maybe I don't know.
Is it possible to go to Canada under the visitor visa which is 6months and work without getting a work visa? Or apply for one once in Canada and already working?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
The one thing I can say is that a visitor visa does not allow working. If you do work and get caught without the appropriate work visa the outcome will not be good!

Have your girlfriend find a Canadian immigration lawyer and pay for an initial consultation. Or just dig through the official Canadian website on immigration and try to do it yourself.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 3:33 pm

You will need a work permit to work in Canada. No shortcuts.

See: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/index.asp
Old Nov 9, 2012, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
The easiest way to get a work permit is to get hired. The organization hiring you will need to prove that they have tried and cannot fill the vacancy locally or the job is on the high demand list at HR Canada.

FYI TESOL certificates can be earned with a $89 Groupon. That alone will not get you far in the work permit process.

Check the website posted on the prior posts.

Last edited by tentseller; Nov 9, 2012 at 4:14 pm
Old Nov 10, 2012, 8:22 pm

Programs: NEXUS; alas, no status anymore.
The fastest track is if you are a professional that qualifies for a NAFTA visa. If you do, getting one-year renewable work visas is trivial.

Otherwise, it can be more challenging - just as it would be if a Canadian decided he wanted to move to the US. (I have a graduate degree in business, and unless I chose to do business consulting, would not qualify for a US visa at the moment.)
Old Dec 9, 2012, 7:24 am

Programs: AC
Look for a SWAP equivalent for americans...
maybe offered through STA travel

http://swap.ca/out_eng/index.aspx

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.