Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Capital One Aspire credit card - any real world experience?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Capital One Aspire credit card - any real world experience?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2013, 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by Mauricio23
In fairness, the reply from Capital One was that they would pay a claim where the late inbound aircraft resulted from an upstream weather scenario, as long as they get written confirmation from the airline that this was indeed the case. Good luck with getting that statement from Air Canada. All I got was a computer printout stating "Reason for delay: late inbound aircraft", and a blank stare when I asked them to clarify that the original problem was weather. "Sir, I can only give you what the system tells me was the reason for the delay".

Since the Amex policy covers any delay regardless of reason, I do not see the point of bothering any further. The only exception would be a hijacking, which Capital One covers and Amex does not.
Thanks for the info.

I guess Next time if I booked with CapOne I'll be sure to ask for specific reason written down on the paper, even if it's hand written by the agent.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 2:12 pm
Company Representative - Capital One

Hi Everyone – It’s Andrew from Capital One. I’m not sure if you saw this in the media, but I thought I would take this opportunity to share some great news with you. Yesterday, RewardsCanada.ca announced its fifth annual Canada’s Top Travel Rewards Cards feature and named the Capital One Aspire Travel World MasterCard Canada’s best travel points card with an annual fee, for the fourth year in a row.

We’re thrilled to receive this honour and we want to thank you for being part of this journey with us.

-Andrew

The feature with complete rankings and background can be found online at www.rewardscanada.ca/topcc2013
Old Jul 13, 2013, 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by AMCyyz
Hi Everyone – It’s Andrew from Capital One. I’m not sure if you saw this in the media, but I thought I would take this opportunity to share some great news with you. Yesterday, RewardsCanada.ca announced its fifth annual Canada’s Top Travel Rewards Cards feature and named the Capital One Aspire Travel World MasterCard Canada’s best travel points card with an annual fee, for the fourth year in a row.

We’re thrilled to receive this honour and we want to thank you for being part of this journey with us.

-Andrew

The feature with complete rankings and background can be found online at www.rewardscanada.ca/topcc2013
That is because Rewards did not make any claims on delayed flights and do not know any better........
Old Jul 13, 2013, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by kwflyer
AMCyyz:

There are no notifications and its up to the user continue to follow threads in a proactive manner, especially on ones that they have commented on.
I get notifications when someone post new comments in these forums if I participate in it.

Originally Posted by kwflyer
I too have made travel claims with AMEX, and have never had any problems with them. They process my clams, in a timely manner for whatever the travel/flight/baggage reason was, and don't quibble over the travel/airlines coding for delay.
Any comparisons to CIBC Aeroplan Visa Infinite coverage? I have both never claimed for travel issues and like to know which one to use on my next trip which is being paid for soon. Thanks.

Last edited by 1Newflyer; Jul 13, 2013 at 6:07 pm
Old Jul 13, 2013, 9:04 pm

Programs: aeroplan airmiles priorityclub choiceprivilege asiamiles spg bw
Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
That is because Rewards did not make any claims on delayed flights and do not know any better........
It appears that the real issue here is not the policy itself, but how the policy has been administered.

The administrator insisted on seeing the stated cause in the claim matching those listed in the policy, but instead saw a generic term. He could have proceeded to obtain the detail from the airline but chose to simply reject the claim.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 12:04 am

Originally Posted by ValueHunter99
It appears that the real issue here is not the policy itself, but how the policy has been administered.

The administrator insisted on seeing the stated cause in the claim matching those listed in the policy, but instead saw a generic term. He could have proceeded to obtain the detail from the airline but chose to simply reject the claim.
Not the way I see it, airline will not provide detail to travelers on flights in progress never mind the canceled ones.....have you tried to get peace of paper. You have hundreds of folks at the counter trying to get agents to rebook and you are asking for explanations for "the late inbound arrival"? You think it is rational to expect that? Insurance that does not accept the above for your delay is useless.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 7:31 am

Programs: Enough
I'm pretty annoyed at the moment with the Capital One insurance benefits. I had an Aeroplan award ticket, and was on a flight that was weather delayed, making me miss my connection, thus having to spend the night in YYZ. I had a claim for $150 or so. WTP denied the claim saying that "it was paid for with points thus is not eligible". I suppose WTP doesn't understand the nuances of award travel, wherein Aeroplan points are not used to pay for the trip, they're used to calculate a fare of 0, therefore any and all charges due are just the taxes, thus making it eligible for coverage. The CSR who I spoke with at WTP did not understand that at all. I said I wanted to appeal the decision, and she said it'd take 6-8 weeks, and I would NOT be allowed to submit any documents in support of my appeal. What a ridiculous appeal process!
Old Jul 14, 2013, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by durberville
I'm pretty annoyed at the moment with the Capital One insurance benefits. I had an Aeroplan award ticket, and was on a flight that was weather delayed, making me miss my connection, thus having to spend the night in YYZ. I had a claim for $150 or so. WTP denied the claim saying that "it was paid for with points thus is not eligible". I suppose WTP doesn't understand the nuances of award travel, wherein Aeroplan points are not used to pay for the trip, they're used to calculate a fare of 0, therefore any and all charges due are just the taxes, thus making it eligible for coverage. The CSR who I spoke with at WTP did not understand that at all. I said I wanted to appeal the decision, and she said it'd take 6-8 weeks, and I would NOT be allowed to submit any documents in support of my appeal. What a ridiculous appeal process!
Good to know that. Points have no monetary value and therefore can not be used as payment. On the other hand the credit card charges, we have to pay back with "money". I also have hard time accepting the breakdown of cost as fare, taxes, fees etc. I care less how it is described, it costs us a certain amount of money to get Aeroplan to issue a ticket ... period. The cost of every item we purchase can be broken down to thousands of elemental charges with "0" significance to customers. I feel your frustration.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 10:18 am

Not the way I see it, airline will not provide detail to travelers on flights in progress never mind the canceled ones.....have you tried to get peace of paper. You have hundreds of folks at the counter trying to get agents to rebook and you are asking for explanations for "the late inbound arrival"? You think it is rational to expect that? Insurance that does not accept the above for your delay is useless.
The admin could have contacted the airline for the detail, so the claimant shouldn't have to.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 10:21 am

I have always wondered about this. Now, we know about Cap1, does anyone know which credit cards' insurance will cover tix purchased with points?
Old Jul 14, 2013, 10:26 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, AC 25K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Good to know that. Points have no monetary value and therefore can not be used as payment. On the other hand the credit card charges, we have to pay back with "money". I also have hard time accepting the breakdown of cost as fare, taxes, fees etc. I care less how it is described, it costs us a certain amount of money to get Aeroplan to issue a ticket ... period. The cost of every item we purchase can be broken down to thousands of elemental charges with "0" significance to customers. I feel your frustration.
Trying to get this same clarification from CapOne as we speak:

https://www.facebook.com/CapitalOneC...75556345816487
Old Jul 14, 2013, 10:36 am

Programs: Enough
Originally Posted by nabeelj
Trying to get this same clarification from CapOne as we speak:

https://www.facebook.com/CapitalOneC...75556345816487
Ha, calling WTP now. Will be interesting to see how they wiggle their way out of this one
Old Jul 14, 2013, 4:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan
Ha, calling WTP now. Will be interesting to see how they wiggle their way out of this one
Sounds like my story. Capital One advertises one benefit, and is so sure it provides it; WTP takes the strictest reading of the terms and conditions, and denies everything it can. In my case, Capital One came through. However, their choice of WTP as a claims administrators is a terrible one, and they would do well to ditch it for good.

I suggest you write to Capital One with your experience, requesting that they reconsider their choice of claims administrator, and CC WTP. As more of us do this, maybe they will get the message.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 7:10 pm

Amex's policy for the flight delay:

"Coverage A - Missed Connection
If due to the delay of the
insured person’s
incoming flight, the
insured person
misses a confirmed onward connecting
flight and no alternative onward

transportation is made available within four (4) hours of
deplaning,
we will pay the insured person’s
necessary and
reasonable living expenses
incurred
within forty-eight (48) hours of
deplaning
and other
sundry items.
"

the cause "inbound flight delay" seems to be in the text of the policy.

I checked CIBC & Cap1, they are worded differently than the above.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by ValueHunter99
Amex's policy for the flight delay:

"Coverage A - Missed Connection
If due to the delay of the
insured person’s
incoming flight, the
insured person
misses a confirmed onward connecting
flight and no alternative onward

transportation is made available within four (4) hours of
deplaning,
we will pay the insured person’s
necessary and
reasonable living expenses
incurred
within forty-eight (48) hours of
deplaning
and other
sundry items.
"

the cause "inbound flight delay" seems to be in the text of the policy.

I checked CIBC & Cap1, they are worded differently than the above.
Great and that is the way it should be. Is incoming flight excluded in cap 1 coverage? If not then it is reasonable to assume that it is covered.

More specifically it says:

(v)
a delay causing an Insured
Person to miss a connection
for a Common Carrier or
resulting in the interruption
of an Insured Person’s travel
arrangements
including
the following:
• A delay of an Insured
Person’s Common Carrier,
resulting from the
mechanical failure
of that carrier;

A traffic accident or an
emergency police-directed
road closure (either must
be substantiated
by a police report); or
• Weather conditions

Its clear the "late inbound flight" meets the italic words above. And since it is not listed in the Limitation and Exclusions then all is good.

Last edited by 1Newflyer; Jul 14, 2013 at 9:13 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.