Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Sign in using an external account

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Aug 7, 12, 11:42 pm   #1
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend and Moderator: Air Canada Aeroplan, Mileage Run & Manufactured Spending
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: YEG
Posts: 40,209
Bilingual Service at Canada's Airports: A Traveller's Odyssey

http://www.marketwire.com/press-rele...ey-1688386.htm

OTTAWA, ONTARIO--(Marketwire - Aug. 8, 2012) - Commissioner of Official Languages Graham Fraser announced today that he will conduct observations at major airports across the country to help determine how readily Canadians can be served in both official languages.

Over 1,500 anonymous observations will be conducted in the fall of 2012 at bilingual points of service at eight major airports in Halifax, Québec City, Montréal, Ottawa, Toronto, Winnipeg, Edmonton and Vancouver. All airports that serve more than one million passengers per year are required to provide services in both English and French.

The project will include observations of Air Canada's services on the ground and in the air on flights designated as bilingual, as well as the Canadian Air Transport Security Authority's third-party services in security areas.

The visual active offer (bilingual signage), the in-person active offer (bilingual greeting) and the availability of service in the minority official language will all be examined as part of this exercise.

The Office of the Commissioner of Official Languages is committed to a fair, open and transparent tendering process, which will be conducted through the Government Electronic Tendering Service (MERX).
tcook052 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 12, 7:02 am   #2
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Home: HKG/YYZ-BUF Business: LAX, SFO, SEA, PVG, PEK, CAN, NRT, MNL, SIN, BKK, LHR
Programs: DL girl's best friend, SC Lifetime(DL's not mine), ST E+, IC RA, SPG, AARP, CARP, Nexus/GE, APEC
Posts: 5,322
Ummmm. Must be election time in QC???
tentseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 12, 8:01 am   #3
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NYC
Programs: AC*E AA UA
Posts: 1,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by tentseller View Post
Ummmm. Must be election time in QC???
We have a winner.
M60_to_LGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 12, 12:48 pm   #4
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend and Moderator: Air Canada Aeroplan, Mileage Run & Manufactured Spending
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: YEG
Posts: 40,209
Feds hiring ‘mystery clients’ to visit airports

http://www.obj.ca/Local/2012-08-08/a...sit-airports/1

Contractors will fly round-trip between two airports to observe Air Canada's self-serve kiosks, as well as its ground and in-flight services, according to a solicitation notice published to the online contracting site Merx. Security services and well as airport signage will also be anonymously examined.

The Office of the Commissioner of Official Languages estimates the contract will be worth approximately $90,000 and says contractors performed similar work in 2009–10, 2010–11 and 2011–12.

A press release published separately says more than 1,500 anonymous observations will be conducted this fall.
tcook052 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 12, 12:58 pm   #5
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Home: HKG/YYZ-BUF Business: LAX, SFO, SEA, PVG, PEK, CAN, NRT, MNL, SIN, BKK, LHR
Programs: DL girl's best friend, SC Lifetime(DL's not mine), ST E+, IC RA, SPG, AARP, CARP, Nexus/GE, APEC
Posts: 5,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcook052 View Post
http://www.obj.ca/Local/2012-08-08/a...sit-airports/1

Contractors will fly round-trip between two airports to observe Air Canada's self-serve kiosks, as well as its ground and in-flight services, according to a solicitation notice published to the online contracting site Merx. Security services and well as airport signage will also be anonymously examined.

The Office of the Commissioner of Official Languages estimates the contract will be worth approximately $90,000 and says contractors performed similar work in 2009–10, 2010–11 and 2011–12.

A press release published separately says more than 1,500 anonymous observations will be conducted this fall.
YYZ CATSA will fail the conversational French part for sure.
tentseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 12, 8:59 pm   #6
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: YVR
Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Posts: 7,884
CBSA agents in English-essential provinces have been given standard training of phrases to read out for French speakers. Pretty much consists of reading out the questions on the back of the Customs card.

I know this because of a diatribe from my French teacher (at the time) and her constant lamenting of French services in Vancouver. Seems to be an affliction for all Frenchies in Vancouver.

No idea if CATSA agents have the same training.
Braindrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 12, 10:14 pm   #7
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Home: HKG/YYZ-BUF Business: LAX, SFO, SEA, PVG, PEK, CAN, NRT, MNL, SIN, BKK, LHR
Programs: DL girl's best friend, SC Lifetime(DL's not mine), ST E+, IC RA, SPG, AARP, CARP, Nexus/GE, APEC
Posts: 5,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braindrain View Post
CBSA agents in English-essential provinces have been given standard training of phrases to read out for French speakers. Pretty much consists of reading out the questions on the back of the Customs card.

I know this because of a diatribe from my French teacher (at the time) and her constant lamenting of French services in Vancouver. Seems to be an affliction for all Frenchies in Vancouver.

No idea if CATSA agents have the same training.
Most multiple counter major entry point will have signage of CBSA desk staffed by bilingual agents.
tentseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 12, 12:22 pm   #8
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Programs: Aeroplan, OnePass, AAdvantage
Posts: 85
While not air travel, this is CBSA related. When driving across the border at major crossings not near eastern Ontario or Quebec (e.g. Windsor or Sarnia), I love going to the ''Bilingual" line and speaking French to the ''bilingual'' agent, who in reality usually has difficulty stringing together a sentence in French. It sure makes for an easy crossing and it's quite amusing to catch them off guard like that.

On the airports side, YUL and YOW won't have any major issues, even YQB will be pretty good. YYZ is fine for AC agents as many of them are bilingual, but for everyone else not so much. I've heard a fair amount of French at YHZ. YYC, YEG and YVR will likely be where the most 'infractions' will be. Not sure about YWG. I'm assuming these are the 8 airports being looked at?
YoYUL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 12, 10:11 pm   #9
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: YVR
Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Posts: 7,884
No, I don't think there will be "infractions". They're not testing whether you can debate the latest QC election. They're just seeing if a traveller can be provided essential services in French. It's not that hard.

Personally, I think Graham Fraser is off his rocker. For the Vancouver 2010 Games, he was making all sort of crazy demands and comments. Tons of criticism without a lot of solutions.
Braindrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 12, 11:28 pm   #10
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: YYC
Programs: BA Gold, Aeroplan peon, Fairmont premier
Posts: 1,651
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoYUL View Post
I've heard a fair amount of French at YHZ. YYC, YEG and YVR will likely be where the most 'infractions' will be.
There are a surprising number of Francophones in Edmonton and especially areas north of Edmonton; and there have been for a long time.
Jagboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 12, 7:39 pm   #11
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Programs: Air Canada Altitude 50K *G
Posts: 6,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagboi View Post
There are a surprising number of Francophones in Edmonton and especially areas north of Edmonton; and there have been for a long time.
They cannot operate in English and should have extensive French services provided for them?
gglave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 12, 4:28 pm   #12
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: YWG
Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Skymiles, SPG, hotels.com
Posts: 930
Quote:
Originally Posted by gglave View Post
They cannot operate in English and should have extensive French services provided for them?
It's a bilingual country. I for one appreciate being offered services in English when in Quebec.
heraclitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 12, 6:36 pm   #13
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Home: HKG/YYZ-BUF Business: LAX, SFO, SEA, PVG, PEK, CAN, NRT, MNL, SIN, BKK, LHR
Programs: DL girl's best friend, SC Lifetime(DL's not mine), ST E+, IC RA, SPG, AARP, CARP, Nexus/GE, APEC
Posts: 5,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by heraclitus View Post
It's a bilingual country. I for one appreciate being offered services in English when in Quebec.
Bill 101 of Quebec basically made QC a uni-lingual province exempted from Canadian bilingualism under the "not-withstanding" and "distinct society exemption" for provincial and local governmental service.

Business will still gladly serve you in Anglais and Canadian federal services are still bilingue.

Last edited by tentseller; Aug 12, 12 at 6:43 pm..
tentseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 12, 6:53 pm   #14
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Programs: Aadvantage Platinum, Ritz-Carlton Rewards Silver
Posts: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by tentseller View Post
Bill 101 of Quebec basically made QC a uni-lingual province exempted from Canadian bilingualism under the "not-withstanding" and "distinct society exemption" for provincial and local governmental service.

Business will still gladly serve you in Anglais and Canadian federal services are still bilingue.
Business will gladly serve you in English, although they are much when you respond en francais. The only (minor) issue being that Quebecois French sounds different than French French (some words evolved differently, too, just as they did in US English as opposed to British English), so it can take awhile for the ear to get attuned to the rhythms and cadences.
ysolde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 12, 7:36 pm   #15
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Home: HKG/YYZ-BUF Business: LAX, SFO, SEA, PVG, PEK, CAN, NRT, MNL, SIN, BKK, LHR
Programs: DL girl's best friend, SC Lifetime(DL's not mine), ST E+, IC RA, SPG, AARP, CARP, Nexus/GE, APEC
Posts: 5,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysolde View Post
Business will gladly serve you in English, although they are much when you respond en francais. The only (minor) issue being that Quebecois French sounds different than French French (some words evolved differently, too, just as they did in US English as opposed to British English), so it can take awhile for the ear to get attuned to the rhythms and cadences.
Oui, mais je suis Canadien
tentseller is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 3:44 am.




SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.