Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

is there a bus from Yarmouth, NS to Annapolis Royal, NS

Old Jul 26, 2007, 1:03 pm
Original Poster

How do I get from Yarmouth, Nova Scotia to nearby Annpolis Royal? I am coming in on the CAT ferry (from Bar harbour, Maine) at approx 11am this Monday morning. Is there a direct connection to Annpolis Royal from Yarmouth, or do I have to backtrack through Halifax?

I've already checked the Acadian bus website, and they don't service Yarmouth.

I would be willing to take a bus out of Yarmouth even if it went to a nearby stop (like Kentville, or Digby) if that makes things easier.

Please let me know, thanks.
Old Jul 27, 2007, 11:42 am

Programs: AP, AM, HH, HG, MR
Much as I hate to say this, I think you're SOL for public transit and you may need to break down and rent a car.

My first recommendation would have been Acadian Lines but then I saw you had already checked that out and that indeed, it ends service in Digby.

I'm not sure if there is any type of transit service from Yarmouth to Halifax but even if there is, it would be a very long, circuitous route. Even in a car, you are looking at 3 hours from Yarmouth to Halifax and another 2.5 to Annapolis (+ 8 hours in a bus?), whereas it is less than 2 hours from Yarmouth to Annapolis.

If you are still adamant you want to use public transit and have a flexible schedule, you might be able to catch the bus between Bangor and Saint John, New Brunswick then catch the ferry between Saint John and Digby, NS. Digby is about 10-12 miles as the crow flies from Annapolis Royal although it's a solid 30 minutes drive as you have to skirt the Annapolis Basin. Although you might be able to catch the Acadian Lines bus between Diby and AR, it would be extremely infrequent service (ie, 1-2 buses per day) so you might be better suited to catching a cab or arranging some other alternative.

Unfortunately, public transit in south-western NS is pretty much non-existent (lived 10 years in Annapolis Royal).
Old Jan 6, 2010, 8:37 am

Bus/Shuttle information

Hi there!

I am a Yarmouth local that lives in Halifax and travels frequently to the area. If you're looking to get out of Yarmouth without renting a car, it's not totally impossible! It seems to be a very common misconception! Anyway, to set the record straight!

There is a bus that leaves from Yarmouth at the Rodd Colony Harbor Inn everyday.
Monday - Saturday at 7:30am and on Sundays and holidays it leaves at 11:30am. This bus I believe travels the south shore (route 103) to Halifax and drops off at various locations in between. If you want more information you can call the Rodd Colony Inn at (902) 742-9194. This is the cheapest method of transportation.

There are also a couple of shuttles that service both the south shore and valley routes (route 101) to the city, with drop offs in various locations in between. It is more expensive but faster and a bit more comfortable than the bus. Their contact information is:

Cloud Nine Shuttle: http://www.thecloudnineshuttle.com/ 1-888-805-3335 or 902-742-3992

Acadievan Shuttle (formally Campbell's): http://acadievan.com/ or 1-800-742-6101 or 902-742-6101

Hope this helps! Enjoy your trip!
Old Jan 23, 2012, 2:42 pm

What is the situation like now? The Cloud 9 shuttle hasn't updated their website sind 2006, the other website has vanished.

Is there a bus these days?
Old Jun 19, 2012, 7:31 pm

yes

there is still cloud nine and the Acadia lines is still up and running, i am personally from Yarmouth and attend school in the city so i use these options often.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 8:40 pm

The ferry is no longer, from what I heard, in case anybody was still looking at that option.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 10:56 am
B1

Originally Posted by DanJ
The ferry is no longer, from what I heard, in case anybody was still looking at that option.
Important to raise this since the thread is five years old. The CAT is now in China according to Wikipedia. I recall seeing the boat being used in BC to Vancouver Island before it was sold.
"The Cat was purchased by Fujian Cross Strait Ferry. The vessel has been renamed Hai Xia Hao and now operates between Taichung and Pingtan Island.[2]"
Old Jun 21, 2012, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by B1
.......... I recall seeing the boat being used in BC to Vancouver Island before it was sold.
"The Cat was purchased by Fujian Cross Strait Ferry. The vessel has been renamed Hai Xia Hao and now operates between Taichung and Pingtan Island.[2]"
No.....the Cat you mention above never operated in BC to Vancouver Island.

And to clarify another point......there is no bus between Yarmouth and Digby. Acadian Lines hasn't serviced this route in several years.

Trius Bus Lines provides a scheduled service between Yarmouth and Halifax via the South Shore (Shelburne, Liverpool, Bridgewater etc)

http://www.peisland.com/triustours/line.htm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.