Wiki Posts
Search

Taxi to North York area

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2011, 11:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA-Premier, Avis-Prefered, USA Hockey Referee-Level 3
Taxi to North York area

I'm heading to the Toronto area in May, staying at the Novotel in North York. Don't know the area very well and have a few questions:

1. Anyone have an idea on how much a taxi from airport to hotel will run?
2. Best guess on how much time it'll take to get there?
3. Returning to US on a Sunday afternoon (5 pm flight)...what's custom & security typically like at that time?

Thanks

Bob
Old Mar 12, 2011, 3:32 am

You don't mention which airport you'll be flying into, so I'm going to assume it's Pearson (YYZ):

1. Taxi and limo fares from YYZ are fixed by zone, so expect to pay a lot. Current fares look like they're running about $62: http://gtaa.com/local/files/en/Trave..._East_2010.pdf
For limos: http://gtaa.com/en/travellers/airpor...s__limousines/

There's no real public transit option since you're in North York.

2. How long it takes depends on the time of day you arrive - almost all the cabs will take highway 401 which can get very slow at rush hour. Best case scenario is 20 minutes; given that you're leaving Toronto on a Sunday afternoon, 30-40 minutes should be enough.

3. I'll leave that to FTers with more experience, although note that you'll have to check-in, then pre-clear U.S. Customs and Immigration before going through security.
Old Mar 12, 2011, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
We are assuming you are arriving YYZ and not YTC or YKZ since you are coming from STL.
My Condo is down the street from the Novotel

1 Limo $50 plus 13%HSTax. Most taxis do not have the license to pick up at YYZ. The Novotel is on west side of Yonge St at Mel Lastman Sq, formerly downtown of North York.
However if you are budget minded there is an airport express bus which takes you to the subways. You can take that to the Yonge line at York Mills station and take the subway north two stops to North York City Centre station which has underground access to the Novotel via the shopping concourse underneath.

2 Fastest was about 15 minutes but it could be as long as an hour during afternoon rush hour.

3 Sun 5pm departure should be fine. The rush starts with evening US departures. You can leave Novotel about 3pm.

HTH
Old Mar 12, 2011, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by tosteve
Thats not really true, there are GO buses to Yorkdale and York Mills

Thanks for the taxi fares link though. I never realized that a taxi to my house in 'sauga would be $47 ... That seems insanely expensive.
Old Mar 12, 2011, 8:21 am

Programs: Persona Non-Status, DYKWIA Club President, Formerly of Pa Kettle Fame
In the "basement" level of T1 there is a go bus that you can take for aprox $2.50 which will take you to York Mills.

Link: http://www.gotransit.com/public/en/t...g/airport.aspx
Old Mar 12, 2011, 9:51 pm

Whoops, I was looking at the wrong sector of the map; you're right - the fare is currently $50+.

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Thats not really true, there are GO buses to Yorkdale and York Mills
Thanks for the reminder - being a city guy, I never think of the GO bus

Last edited by tosteve; Mar 12, 2011 at 10:01 pm
Old Mar 14, 2011, 11:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA-Premier, Avis-Prefered, USA Hockey Referee-Level 3
To all, thanks for the info. You're correct in that I'll be arriving at YYZ. Will definitely look into the GO Bus option.

Bob
Old Mar 16, 2011, 7:12 pm

Programs: AC Aeroplan - Elite Status. DL Skymiles - Regular Status
Depending on where in North York... You can take the subway/TTC... ( I believe there's a bus that takes you to the Bloor subway line) and then you can get virtually anywhere.

Taxis are based on a fixed rate... Not sure how much they would cost to take you within the city... I live in Newmarket, and the cost is about $90... I would imagine about half of that for the city.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 11:15 am
B1

I use the GO bus - it is the Brampton Local. It is often very late and runs at most once every half hour. Make sure you get on the right one going towards York Mills - the stops are next to each other. If you're going to the the Novotel, you get on the Yonge subway and go north to Park Home. You have to pay another fare. A single fare route would involve the Malton TTC bus from the airport to Lawrence West Station. Then the Lawrence West bus to Lawrence Station and the Yonge Subway north to Park Home.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by B1
I use the GO bus - it is the Brampton Local. It is often very late and runs at most once every half hour. Make sure you get on the right one going towards York Mills - the stops are next to each other. If you're going to the the Novotel, you get on the Yonge subway and go north to Park Home. You have to pay another fare. A single fare route would involve the Malton TTC bus from the airport to Lawrence West Station. Then the Lawrence West bus to Lawrence Station and the Yonge Subway north to Park Home.
The stop(My stop) is call North York City Centre.

Park Home is the street that intersects with Yonge on the west side of Empress where the station is. You will not find Park Home station on TTC Subway.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by tosteve
HUH?

There is a subway station named NORTH YORK CENTRE that last I checked, was in North York.

And hey what do you know, right next to this non existent public transit option is....drum roll please....THE NOVOTEL HOTEL. I think you don't even have to go outside between the subway station and the hotel lobby, it's all connected.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KoKoBuddy
HUH?

There is a subway station named NORTH YORK CENTRE that last I checked, was in North York.

And hey what do you know, right next to this non existent public transit option is....drum roll please....THE NOVOTEL HOTEL. I think you don't even have to go outside between the subway station and the hotel lobby, it's all connected.
Cymbal crash, tada:

The Yovotel lobby can be access indoors from the shopping concourse attached to North York City Centre TTC stop.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 4:11 pm

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
public transit from North York to Pearson

[QUOTE
.[/QUOTE]

This answer is incorrect. You have 2 public transit options:

1. Take Bus 52 Lawrence West from Lawrence Stn. on the Yonge Line to Lawrence West Station, then change (no transfer required, stay in bus bay area ) to 58A Malton bus to Pearson (fare is $3, allow 1.5 hours):

http://www3.ttc.ca/Riding_the_TTC/Airport_service.jsp

2. Take Go Transit bus 34 from York Mills Station on Yonge Line, goes direct to Pearson with one stop enroute (Yorkdale). Fare is $5 (after Feb 18) allow 40 minutes:

http://www.gotransit.com/
Old Feb 11, 2012, 6:12 pm

Programs: Fairmont Platinum | AC Gate Lice Status | VIPorter
Originally Posted by Indy Racer
To all, thanks for the info. You're correct in that I'll be arriving at YYZ. Will definitely look into the GO Bus option.

Bob
North York Novotel is located directly above North York subway station, if you care to schelp from YYZ TTC bus then onto two subway lines (seamless connection).
Old Feb 21, 2012, 11:09 am

Programs: SPG Plat,MR Plat Spire Plat/IC Amb, Choice Plat, BW Plat
As mentioned already...if you use a Limo.....don't get scammed leaving from YYZ by fake Limo's that are unregulated rates and you will get ripped off. Not to mention some are even private cars (Lincolns) dressed to look like a Limo and do not have proper insurance to protect you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.