East Coast to Vancouver BC / Whistler in April

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

East Coast to Vancouver BC / Whistler in April

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2012, 11:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, USAirways, DL, CO, Mexicana, Quantas, Royal Orchid, SPG, Marriott, Priority, Hilton Diamond
Question East Coast to Vancouver BC / Whistler in April

Is it too warm in April to plan a side trip to Whistler after my meetings?
Is there any advantage to flying to Seattle and driving from there, or taking a train? I have a day before and a day after to play. Interested in food and wine sorties. What say you?
Old Jan 18, 2012, 12:57 pm

Location: USA - HNL, SEA, DEN, ORD, MCO, and all points inbetween
Programs: Way too many!
I'll hedge, and tell you it "Might" be ok

Welcome to Flyertalk.

I've done it. "Iffy". You just don't know. Could be decent, but could be a slush bucket that time of year. I'd hate to predict. 50/50 IMO.

As far as flying into Seattle? I always do that. It's typically much less expensive than flying into Canada, for me anyway.
I have a Nexus Card so getting across the border is easy for me. But even if you don't have a Nexus Card, that border crossing is not typically horrible. Typically. Again, I'd hate to predict and you find yourself with a 1 hour backup.

The worst part of driving from Seattle is Everette, WA. That, for me, is always a tough go. Stay in the left lane (unless there is construction) and be patient and you should be OK. Once north of Everette, it's clear sailing (typically) to the border. It is a bit of a drive to Whistler from Seattle, but I enjoy the drive.

Sorry about the hedging. But you know how it goes. I say "GREAT CONDITIONS IN APRIL!" and you get there and it's horrid. Same goes for flying into Seattle. For me it is always easier, but you never know!

Food? Wow. What do you like? There are hundreds of places that many would tell you are great. From Seattle to Vancouver. I like the pubs and Vegan joint in Surry, BC, just north of the Border. Actually like staying there along the water. Great dining along that strip and even though I'm not Vegan, I always go to this incredible Vegan restaurant in Surrey on the water. There is only ONE, so just ask anyone where it is. The rest of the food, well, too many to even list!

Good luck!

Last edited by RobbieRunner; Jan 18, 2012 at 1:03 pm
Old Jan 18, 2012, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Search for flights to BLI which is the closest US airport to YVR and rent a car, drive north.

Re Whistler/Blackcombe: I have skied Blackcombe in July and Aug of 1989 completing my goal of skiing in the Northern Hemisphere every month of the year. But the earth has warmed up quite a bit since then.

As for the food and wine scene check out the Canada forum where it has been discussed by many locals.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 3:57 pm

Programs: Non-Rev Lifetime
Originally Posted by tentseller
But the earth has warmed up quite a bit since then
Say what?

Last edited by PropWasher; Jan 30, 2017 at 5:40 pm
Old Jan 18, 2012, 4:29 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Blackcomb is open until May 21st, Whistler until April 22nd

http://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/mou...ours/index.htm

The mountains usually close not due to lack of snow, but due to lack of skiiers (by April / May Spring has sprung and Vancouverites minds have moved on to other things.)

Of course lots of people go to Whistler and don't ski - The drive up is incredible, and once you're there you have the peak to peak gondola, lots of great restaurants etc.

SEA will be cheaper to fly into than YVR, but SEA -> Whistler is a long day - Plan about six hours, depending on border queues.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by PropWasher
Say what?
Anecdotal to be sure, but I've lived in southwestern BC all my life (I'm 45) and it's definitely warmer here than it was when I was a kid.

When I was a kid all the lakes froze and we played around on them - That never happens any more. I remember snowfalls that were epic. Now it's 5cm. (Still paralyzes Vancouver of course.)
Old Jan 18, 2012, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by gglave
Anecdotal to be sure, but I've lived in southwestern BC all my life (I'm 45) and it's definitely warmer here than it was when I was a kid.

When I was a kid all the lakes froze and we played around on them - That never happens any more. I remember snowfalls that were epic. Now it's 5cm. (Still paralyzes Vancouver of course.)

Anecdotal to be sure...

http://www.smalldeadanimals.com/archives/019000.html
Old Jan 18, 2012, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by PropWasher
That's weather, not climate. You're getting them mixed up...
Old Jan 19, 2012, 3:36 am

Programs: KLM Gold Elite (You can guess how long ago I lost this status!), LH Senator
I will be going again in April this year.

As RobbieRunner advises I also always fly in to Seattle find it much cheaper than YVR from the north of England.

Combined the trip once with a trip via the Olympic peninsula and Port Angeles, via Victoria, Nanaimo to Whistler and back to SEA. This was the 2nd week in April. Went from sunbathing on a beach in Victoria to Skiing in Whistler in a couple of days. Good times!

I will be there again in the first week of April this year but I have been there as late as mid-April in the past.

I found that the temperatures were on the high side and the lower runs were quite slushy by the end of the day. The top of the mountain (above Olympic) remained good for most, if not all of the day.

Worst case scenario is when it is snowing at the top of the mountain and raining at the bottom. I experienced this once and it was not pleasant.

On the plus side the snow seems to pretty amazing again this year so there should be a massive base built up by April.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 3:30 pm

That's weather, not climate. You're getting them mixed up...
I'm not the mixed up one. That's my point.

This is 30 years of anectdotal weather?

Old Jan 19, 2012, 8:18 pm

If you want to discuss whether or not climate change is fiction I suggest you start a new thread in Omni P/R. I'll chime in there. Cheers.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 7:52 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
If you want to discuss whether or not climate change is fiction I suggest you start a new thread in Omni P/R.
No need for a new thread, there's plenty of vitriol and ridicule in the existing one there .
Old Jan 20, 2012, 5:52 pm

If you want to discuss whether or not climate change is fiction I suggest you start a new thread in Omni P/R. I'll chime in there. Cheers.
Yes climate change is real. Notice how Whistler has cooled.

Whistler being the subject.

Last edited by PropWasher; Jan 20, 2012 at 6:06 pm
Old Jan 23, 2012, 5:13 pm

Programs: AC
Tks for this!
There I've added my irrelevent 2 cents...
Old Jan 25, 2012, 7:15 am

Programs: formerly UA GS, now lowly MM lifetime gold :(
The two points being "debated" here are not inconsistent. Over the past 30 years, the globe has warmed, although this has stalled for the past several years. See. http://www.drroyspencer.com/latest-global-temperatures/

Within the global context, its not surprising that some regions would be colder and some warmer. The data set presented, if reliable, seems to show whistler has cooled moderately over the 30+ year time frame.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.