Search

YYZ - Rail link downtown(Union) to Pearson

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2011, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
YYZ - Rail link downtown(Union) to Pearson

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toront...port-link.html

Construction on part of the often-promised rail link between Pearson International Airport and Toronto's Union Station will begin in the spring.

Premier Dalton McGuinty says contracts for a three-kilometre spur line and a new passenger station will support more than 1,200 jobs.

The spur line will link the Georgetown GO line to the airport.

The entire new rail link between Union and Pearson is expected to be completed in time for the 2015 Pan Am Games in the Toronto area.

Old Dec 19, 2011, 1:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
It's about time! Wonder what this will mean for Porter when it's all finished.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 1:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
very good news!
Old Dec 19, 2011, 1:54 pm

Programs: Via Preference Privilege, AC*A, Fairmont Plat, SPG Gold
I wonder how much it will cost. On other proposals they were throwing around $20-$30 o/w I thought. That would be okay when the company is picking up the tab, but not such a great deal if you have to pay for it yourself.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 2:05 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by will5404
I wonder how much it will cost. On other proposals they were throwing around $20-$30 o/w I thought. That would be okay when the company is picking up the tab, but not such a great deal if you have to pay for it yourself.
Still better than the $65 o/w that I'm paying to the limo sharks right now.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by will5404
Apparently it's going to be marketed as a "business-class" service. Translation: $$$.

It went from an "Express" service to a local service integrated with the TTC system to a "spur" to the nearby GO station with few transit connections.

It's going to be useless, IMHO. Ever ride the TRE to DFW? I did. Once.

Interesting Op-Ed in the Star today about the whole mess:

http://www.thestar.com/opinion/edito...rson-rail-link

Last edited by YYZC2; Dec 19, 2011 at 2:12 pm
Old Dec 19, 2011, 2:12 pm

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by YYZC2
Apparently it's going to be marketed as a "business-class" service. Translation: $$$.

It went from an "Express" service to a local service integrated with the TTC system to a "spur" to the nearby GO station with few transit connections.

Interesting Op-Ed in the Star today about the whole mess today:

great bit. they are certainly vague on what we are getting. why is it so hard for Toronto to look at what Vancouver did for the olympics? that seems to work very very well!!!!
Old Dec 19, 2011, 2:14 pm

Programs: AC E; Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by alexthe5th
Still better than the $65 o/w that I'm paying to the limo sharks right now.
But $65 split 3 ways is better than what the new Pearson link is going to cost...plus you get door-to-door service. I fear that most people without means will still be taking the 192 Airport Express to Kipling station.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 2:19 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador

Interesting Op-Ed in the Star today about the whole mess:

Ever ride the train from HKG to Kowloon or Central? Sign me up. One of the most pleasant plane to hotel experiences anywhere. Except maybe the service from BKK to the St. Regis in an S500, or the Rolls Royce to the Pen.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by mkjr
great bit. they are certainly vague on what we are getting. why is it so hard for Toronto to look at what Vancouver did for the olympics? that seems to work very very well!!!!
This is the same city that gave us the Sheppard subway and "Food a La Cart"... unworkable policy executed incompetently... accept no substitutes!

On the upside, I hear Leonard Nimoy will attend the ribbon-cutting.

Old Dec 19, 2011, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by ridefar
Ever ride the train from HKG to Kowloon or Central? Sign me up. One of the most pleasant plane to hotel experiences anywhere. Except maybe the service from BKK to the St. Regis in an S500, or the Rolls Royce to the Pen.
I've been on the HKG Express dozens of times. I've also been on the LHR Express, the Arlanda Express, the KUL Ekspres, the PEK service, The Malpensa Express, the RER, the BART, DB ICE, N'EX, etc. etc.

This monstrosity will be NOTHING like the HKG Express.

I love, love, love the idea of rail to YYZ. But this project is a loser.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 2:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
The Pacific Western Bus from Pearson to the hotels is $23.95 and a taxi ride to Union Station is approx $50+tip, so using that as the gauge, I would not be surprised at a $20-30 train ride tab. If they were going to be sensible, it should be approx the cost from Mississauga Union Station - or $6-7.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 2:36 pm

I've been on the HKG Express dozens of times. I've also been on the LHR Express, the Arlanda Express, the KUL Ekspres, the PEK service, The Malpensa Express, the RER, the BART, DB ICE, N'EX, etc. etc.

This monstrosity will be NOTHING like the HKG Express.

I love, love, love the idea of rail to YYZ. But this project is a loser.
as i now look at this, take GO to Malton or Bramlea and transfer? so the question now, is GO more reliable than a taxi in traffic?

is GO planning to run trains 24 hours? what a stupid idea.

[must be malton - run down airport road]
Old Dec 19, 2011, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by neuron
The Pacific Western Bus from Pearson to the hotels is $23.95 and a taxi ride to Union Station is approx $50+tip, so using that as the gauge, I would not be surprised at a $20-30 train ride tab. If they were going to be sensible, it should be approx the cost from Mississauga Union Station - or $6-7.
agreed...but common sense is not going to prevail.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 2:51 pm

Programs: Via Preference Privilege, AC*A, Fairmont Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by DaveTO
But $65 split 3 ways is better than what the new Pearson link is going to cost...plus you get door-to-door service. I fear that most people without means will still be taking the 192 Airport Express to Kipling station.
If the fares turn out to be $20-$30 o/w, than I'll stick to the TTC and spend the other $17.50 on dinner once I get downtown. The transfer is actually fairly painless.

When the GO schedules line up, I like taking the GO train to Kipling and grab the 192 from there. Total travel time is around 45 minutes and only $4 or $5 more to take GO part way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.