Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Work Permits

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2012, 5:09 pm
Original Poster

Work Permits

I am an American Citizen working for a Canadian consulting company and I will be starting a new project in Canada. As such, I know I qualify under the "business person" definition of NAFTA to allow for expedited processing for work permits.

I could not find any information, however, regarding what documents I would need for obtaining a work permit. Has anyone done this that can provide some insight?
Old Jan 7, 2012, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
have a look at the link below if you haven't already.

Copy of your degree and letter from your employer in addition to your travel docs. I *think* all you have to do is make the request when you arrive in Canada.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/sp...ness.asp#nafta
Old Jan 9, 2012, 6:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
have a look at the link below if you haven't already.

Copy of your degree and letter from your employer in addition to your travel docs. I *think* all you have to do is make the request when you arrive in Canada.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/sp...ness.asp#nafta
UPDATE: I successfully received an open-ended work permit, allows me to work anywhere in Canada for 1 year.

Here's what I did:

1. Proceed with NEXUS as normal and then head straight to immigration.
2. Explained I was looking for a work permit and then handed my Company's letter describing why I needed it.
3. Agent asked a few questions (e.g. will I be doing direct management? Does the company have Canadian employees available? Will I be working anywhere else?)
4. I paid the fee ($150) while she completed the paperwork.
5. Did not have to show my transcript or resume, but had them both there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.