Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Anything big on New Year's Eve in Vancouver or Toronto?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2011, 9:46 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

The title says it all. Worth a trip to either city?
Old Nov 7, 2011, 11:18 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
YVR is pretty dead on NYE. Nothing "big" goes on.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 12:31 am

Originally Posted by Braindrain
They don't have a Times Square, but it really seemed like a party town to me. I'm sure there are many parties.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 8:26 am

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
We spent last NYE in Toronto. Big party in Dundas Square with live bands and lots of partying. We went to the theater (Priscilla Queen of the Desert!) and then had a great time in the crowds.

So head to Toronto.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 9:07 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by Braindrain
Start a facebook/twitter campaign now and you could probably get a nice riot arranged. It'll take the police completely by surprise.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 10:01 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Nothing in Vancouver - Our reputation as a 'No Fun City' is firmly cemented on New Year's Eve. To wit -

http://www.ctvbc.ctv.ca/servlet/an/l...shColumbiaHome

If something did happen it would be deemed as 'family friendly' and very sedate. (And I say that from the perspective of a dad with 2 little kids).
Old Nov 8, 2011, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
YVR only get interesting after important hockey games. YYZ? no interesting hockey game since 1967.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 10:12 am

Both will have numerous hotel ballroom type parties as well as club parties. No idea on public celebrations, although I always thought Toronto did something at Nathan Phillip Square at city hall. Niagara Falls is less than 2 hours away and they always have a big celebration.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DanJ
Both will have numerous hotel ballroom type parties as well as club parties. No idea on public celebrations, although I always thought Toronto did something at Nathan Phillip Square at city hall. Niagara Falls is less than 2 hours away and they always have a big celebration.
Yup, there is a party in Nathan Phillips I believe.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 2:41 pm

Don't the bars and clubs do special things to lure in party animals for the business?
Old Nov 9, 2011, 3:27 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by LuvAirFrance
Don't the bars and clubs do special things to lure in party animals for the business?
Well, yes, absolutely, but I got the sense the OP was referring to big outdoor celebrations, a la New York City, Sydney etc.

There's nothing like that in Vancouver, as the civic governement would prefer everyone to clink a (small) glass of sparkling grape juice at home and then be tucked into bed by 12:10 AM so they have plenty of energy to go bike riding on January 1st.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 9:59 am

I guess New York wouldnt have any if there was a tendency for riots to develop. Maybe Vancouver is just more cautious.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Before we start knocking Vancouver too much most of the rioters, just like the G20 in Toronto are from out of town.
We usually gather some friends together and watch the countdown in the warmth and comfort of someone's home.

Junior-Senior living in Toronto.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Years ago, Vancouver had a First Night celebration which was family friendly. That fizzled out fast though. People seem content to stay home or go to restaurants and night clubs. Some actually have decently-priced events though the bulk are shameless ripoffs.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 8:32 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by tentseller
Before we start knocking Vancouver too much most of the rioters, just like the G20 in Toronto are from out of town.
You have some evidence for that claim ? Being from Surrey etc. does not qualify as "out of town".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.