Is 1hr too short a layover? YYZ-YVR-PER

Subscribe
Hi there,

I'm flying from Toronto to Perth, with a stopover in Vancouver. I haven't bought the ticket yet, but the stopover time in Vancouver that I'm seeing for an airline I'd prefer is 1 hour.

In your opinion and/or experience, is that too short of a stopover? I need to be sure that the luggage belonging to me and my 4 friends makes it to Perth in time, because we will be travelling to other cities upon landing. Is 1hr too short, or is it okay since I don't have to clear immigration?

Thanks.
Quote: Hi there,

I'm flying from Toronto to Perth, with a stopover in Vancouver. I haven't bought the ticket yet, but the stopover time in Vancouver that I'm seeing for an airline I'd prefer is 1 hour.

In your opinion and/or experience, is that too short of a stopover? I need to be sure that the luggage belonging to me and my 4 friends makes it to Perth in time, because we will be travelling to other cities upon landing. Is 1hr too short, or is it okay since I don't have to clear immigration?

Thanks.
It's obviously riskier than a longer layover, but it should be OK. Vancouver airport isn't that big. As long as you don't have anything super-critical the day you land, I think it's fine.
Please continue to follow this thread in the Canada Forum.
Thanks...

Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
I always am concerned with the super short layovers that any problem at all in a previous leg of a trip means a missed flight. As long as the airline on the two legs are the same, I think problems will be fixed. But what if you come into an airport on one airline and have to make a connection with another? Oh well, that's probably what trip interruption insurance is for.
Depends on the time of year. In the winter, YYZ is notorious for delays.

If you need to be sure your luggage makes it, I wouldn't book it. There's a chance your bags won't make it even if the flight is on time.
Quote: Depends on the time of year. In the winter, YYZ is notorious for delays.

If you need to be sure your luggage makes it, I wouldn't book it. There's a chance your bags won't make it even if the flight is on time.
Winter departures are delayed during bad weather due to the need to deice the plane before it is cleared to line up for runway departure.

If your YVR PER flight is on QF and the AC YYZ YVR flight is late then there might be a problem unless both flights segments are issues on the same ticket stock (QF or AC).