Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Need public transport options for an early departure from Victoria,BC airport (YYJ)

Need public transport options for an early departure from Victoria,BC airport (YYJ)

Old Oct 3, 2011, 6:49 am
MHG
Original Poster

Programs: BA, SK, Accor, Carlson Rezidor

Can anyone tell me what options I have to get from Victoria (Howard Johnson Hotel) to the airport for a 7am departure from YYJ - other than a taxi ($$$$$) ?
Old Oct 3, 2011, 7:10 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by MHG
Can anyone tell me what options I have to get from Victoria (Howard Johnson Hotel) to the airport for a 7am departure from YYJ - other than a taxi ($$$$$) ?
http://www.victoriaairportshuttle.com/ is the only alternative assuming you're at the downtown HoJo (the Elk Lake one has a shuttle). There is only a token city bus service to YYJ and the earliest (05:51) dumps you 3/4 mile from the terminal. Not do-able.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 8:00 am
MHG
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Wally Bird
http://www.victoriaairportshuttle.com/ is the only alternative assuming you're at the downtown HoJo (the Elk Lake one has a shuttle). There is only a token city bus service to YYJ and the earliest (05:51) dumps you 3/4 mile from the terminal. Not do-able.
I already stumbled upon that operators website but wasnt sure if there are any other options.
But its ok since I consider 21,-$ as "bearable"
Do you know how reliable this operator is?

50-60,-$ for a taxi (as quoted on the resp. website) would sound a bit unjustifiable considering the flight costs me only about 100,-$ .
Old Oct 3, 2011, 10:17 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by MHG
Do you know how reliable this operator is?
Pretty good I think, every time I fly into YYJ there is always one of their minibuses waiting. Never used them though.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 10:38 am

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
I used AKAL a month ago for travel to and from the airport and they were fine. I don't know how early they start though, but the phone line for reservations opens at 4am I think.

You do need to book your trip from your hotel to the airport, they only stop at hotels when there is a scheduled pickup. Make sure you are early too, the operator told me the bus would be at the hotel at a certain time, and he was early. Picked me up and carried on, I don't think they wait around if you're late. I'd be in the lobby 15 min before the time they tell you.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 10:48 am
MHG
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Wally Bird
Pretty good I think, every time I fly into YYJ there is always one of their minibuses waiting. Never used them though.
Thanks!
That gives a bit peace of mind ...

Originally Posted by Jagboi
I used AKAL a month ago for travel to and from the airport and they were fine. I don't know how early they start though, but the phone line for reservations opens at 4am I think.

You do need to book your trip from your hotel to the airport, they only stop at hotels when there is a scheduled pickup. Make sure you are early too, the operator told me the bus would be at the hotel at a certain time, and he was early. Picked me up and carried on, I don't think they wait around if you're late. I'd be in the lobby 15 min before the time they tell you.
Ill make sure to be a bit early in the lobby!
Old Oct 13, 2011, 1:40 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Hopefully not too late to chime in, but a longtime user of AKAL here - both to/from YYJ. Being a budget traveler, IIRC, used city bus one time TO airport when I had extra time. And walking 3/4 miles is nothing for me with carryon only.

Call day or so before for pickup - never had a problem even with early departures. They sometimes use two busses in the city for pickup, then consolidate for trip to airport. Also seen it in reverse.

EmailKid
Old Oct 13, 2011, 1:46 pm
MHG
Original Poster

Thanks for replies !

I have decided to use AKAL and will make sure Im not late for pick-up ...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.