YVR Voted Best Airport in North America

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2011, 10:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold; AE; AA Platinum; Club Carlson Gold; SPG Gold; HHonorsGold, Accor Platinum

http://www.yvr.ca/en/flight-informat...h_America.aspx

http://www.worldairportawards.com/Aw...Categories.htm
Old Apr 1, 2011, 10:24 am

They'd get my vote based on the international wing, but the domestic wing is pretty crummy IMO.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
The int´l concourse is very nice indeed, now AC only has to upgrade the int´l MLL. (I much prefer the int´l MLL at YYZ)
Old Apr 1, 2011, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
The int´l concourse is very nice indeed, now AC only has to upgrade the int´l MLL. (I much prefer the int´l MLL at YYZ)
Agreed. I'd been hoping to clean up before getting on the 2am HKG flight and was amazed that they didn't have showers.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 10:53 am

you gotta be kiddin......

have u tried their international inbound and connection rat race?

Level 1 --> Level 2 --> Level 1 (customs/immigration) --> Level 3 (recheck) --> Level 1
Old Apr 1, 2011, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I love YVR. A very pleasant airport to fly into/out of. The domestic areas have pretty much been renovated as well. The airport has some class and originality as opposed to the boring monolith YYZ is. Plus Canada Line to the terminal is so convenient!
Old Apr 1, 2011, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by global_happy_traveller

Level 1 --> Level 2 --> Level 1 (customs/immigration) --> Level 3 (recheck) --> Level 1
I think you just described the International-->Domestic connection process for most of the world.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 11:24 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Originally Posted by rehoult
I think you just described the International-->Domestic connection process for most of the world.
No..there is something very obnoxious about the way it is handled in YVR...but apparently if you have native art all around, all is forgiven...
Old Apr 1, 2011, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by lcohen999
No..there is something very obnoxious about the way it is handled in YVR...but apparently if you have native art all around, all is forgiven...
I agree it seems worse in YVR; I have no idea why, maybe because its more open so you can see how screwy the routing is?

But routing income passengers over/under outgoing passengers on the way to customs is standard design unless you have a mixed terminal like LHR T5, and having to go up/down from the customs exit on the arrivals level to the departures level is also quite normal.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 11:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold; AE; AA Platinum; Club Carlson Gold; SPG Gold; HHonorsGold, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by global_happy_traveller

Obviously you have never transited Int'l to domestic or vice versa at YYZ
Old Apr 1, 2011, 11:42 am

A solid choice! It may not be the best airport in the world, but I do quite enjoy flying in and out of YVR, which is something I can't say about YYZ.

I'm a little biased, but HKG was also a great choice for airport of the year.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 11:46 am

How many of you would be willing to forgo this award in exchange for a lower AIF?
Old Apr 1, 2011, 11:49 am

Programs: Via Preference Privilege, AC*A, Fairmont Plat, SPG Gold
I agree, I like YVR especially with the new Canada line. That and YVR knows how to deliver luggage.

YYZ could win for the worst airport in Canada, think I'd almost prefer ORD.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 11:49 am

Programs: 50K
I think YVR is a good choice as best in North America. It certainly outshines YYZ and any major US airport. I actually don't like HKG and Incheon that much. I would vote for Munich as my overall favorite.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 11:57 am

Programs: FT
nice april fools joke...

oh...it is true. in all honesty, it is very nice compared with ORD, MIA, SEA, SFO, DFW....YYZ looks nice but that is about it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.