Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rude Canadian immigration

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2014, 7:38 pm

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by oyouno
I just got interrogated when arriving into Toronto immigration April 2014.
The most questions I have ever been asked through all my travels.
American visiting Canada for 1 week.
At 1 point the lady says "sir you are not persuading me that you will actually be returning to the U.S" ........ ....? I thought she was joking although I wasn;t laughing. Just completely baffled.

I asked a friend and he had the exact same experience on his 1 trip to Canada.
Other than this 1 immigration lady, I loved everything about Canada and Canadians .
People can take this for what it is worth but the only negative experiences I hav had crossing the border is with junior female CBS agents.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 9:43 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by oyouno
I just got interrogated when arriving into Toronto immigration April 2014.
The most questions I have ever been asked through all my travels.
American visiting Canada for 1 week.
At 1 point the lady says "sir you are not persuading me that you will actually be returning to the U.S" ........ ....? I thought she was joking although I wasn;t laughing. Just completely baffled.

I asked a friend and he had the exact same experience on his 1 trip to Canada.
Other than this 1 immigration lady, I loved everything about Canada and Canadians .
Originally Posted by You want to go where?
My bad experience at the Canadian border was definitely an immigration, rather than a customs issue. My profession at the time was as a corporate trainer. I was going to attend advanced training on my profession (i.e. how to be a better trainer). The border official just could not fathom that I was receiving rather than providing training, despite reams of documentation showing that I was a registered participant for a course, that the organization I was working for was not the type to provide training, except to its own employees, etc.

She just kept asking why Canadians couldn't provide this type of training and I kept telling that not only could they provide this training, they were providing it to me. I think she finally let me through because she got tired of the circles we were going in.
How were either of these interactions "rude", as the title of the thread states?
Old Apr 19, 2014, 7:50 am

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Originally Posted by ls17031
How were either of these interactions "rude", as the title of the thread states?
I described my experience as bad, not rude, although the agent in both tone and words accused my of lying. Having been through a much more thorough examination by Israeli security agents before boarding an El Al flight, I can tell you that it is possible to ask people questions, even the same question repeatedly without the antagonistic tone, and since it puts people at ease, is probably also more effective at eliciting a slip-up by those who are actually trying to hide something.
Old May 4, 2014, 9:39 am
Suspended

Its always a hassle for us to get through customs into Canada. My wife's status is a bit in limbo, since we're in the process of figuring out the regulations for the Canadian Spousal Sponsorship laws... We pretty much know to expect some trouble. Anyone else in this situation?
Old May 18, 2014, 10:33 am
Suspended

By the way, if anyone else is still having this problem, I found a useful interview with a Toronto immigration lawyer (http://www.myvisasource.com/services...l-sponsorship/). This was useful to me in terms of understanding what factors can influence an application. Hope it can help you too.
Old May 22, 2014, 7:08 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I had no issues clearing at YYZ earlier this year despite telling the agent I'd be in Toronto all of ten hours (just for a Blue Jays game). Though of course I did have this a couple years ago:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...-cbsa-yvr.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.