Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Arriving at YVR - New Automated customs machines

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2010, 1:20 pm
Original Poster

Arriving at YVR - New Automated customs machines

I arrived at YVR from HKG last week and was surprised to see they have a new automated customs system for canadian passport holders.

The system seems pretty slick, it scans your passport, checks your landing card, prints you a copy of the card to hand in.

I wonder if this will be rolled out to other locations (YUL??) anytime soon as I can see how it could save a lot of time.

Anyone know?

D in Mtl
Old Apr 29, 2010, 1:43 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet Teal, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
YVR has had them for a few months now. They are great, have used them several times.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 4:28 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Delta SkyMiles, Fairmont President's Club ,Marriott Rewards,
So, you don't speak directly with a Customs Agent with this method?
Old Apr 29, 2010, 4:41 pm

Programs: Several
I arrived yesterday from Honolulu into YVR and was directed to these machines as well. I had never seen them before even though I have landed at YVR customs probably 5 times since January. I guess I have not been paying attention.

Super fast. As soon as you leave the machine a customs dude looks at your passport and face - yup - same person - then off you go.

My aunt who exceeded her limit did the same thing and after getting her baggage went to pay her duty - was super easy.

I like this process.

I was going to post about it yesterday but I did a quick search and see they've been around for a while. I'm surprised I missed them too LOL.

Way to go - I hope they get rolled out in other airports!

Cheers.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 6:29 pm

New computerized border kiosks a security risk: Critics

http://www.vancouversun.com/travel/c...696/story.html

New computerized border kiosks a security risk: Critics
BY PHILIP LING, CANWEST NEWS SERVICE

OTTAWA — Canadian residents arriving at the Vancouver International Airport can now use new computerized kiosks when they enter the country instead of going through the tradition meeting with border officers, a move some experts and critics say will compromise security.

These machines, quietly implemented this month by the Canada Border Services Agency as part of a two-year pilot project, are designed to "accelerate passenger screening and border processing," spokeswoman Hannah Mahoney said.

Canadian citizens and permanent residents who have a valid Canadian passport or permanent-resident card will be able to use the self-serve kiosks.

The Automated Border Clearance project replaces the customs-and-immigration process and allows users to bypass lines at inspection areas.

Residents will simply insert their travel document and customs-declaration card into the machine, follow the onscreen prompts and get a printed receipt. They will provide it to the customs officers, along with their travel documents for verification.

The kiosks "are quick and easy to use," the agency said, noting they "provide a faster option for travellers returning to Canada."

Although travellers will spend less time in front of CBSA officers, Public Safety Minister Vic Toews insists this new technology will not compromise border security.

"There is nothing we would knowingly do that would compromise our security," Toews told Canwest News Service. "We have to do it smart, we have to adopt appropriate technology, and we have to ensure that there are safety issues that are considered."

Following the failed Christmas Day bombing attempt on a flight from Amsterdam to Detroit, some experts argue that governments should be focusing on skilled staff trained to interpret human behaviour instead of investing in technological resources.

Toews insists the new technology is "simply supplementing" the work that is already being conducted by border officers.

"Maybe the argument is that CBSA officers should be doing everything by typewriters as opposed to computers because people will spend longer time in front of them?"

But Liberal public safety critic Mark Holland says the new program weakens the integrity of our border.

"The idea that we're going to replace human beings with machine is concerning, because there are obviously security implications there," he said. "We know that machines are unfortunately fallible."

He says he is upset the government didn't bring the issue to Parliament.

"I'm going to want this to be studied at committee. I'm going to want the opportunity to look at these measures and actually ask questions about how much it's going to cost, how effective it's going to be, what backup plans are going to be in place," he said.

The kiosks will be available for two years, CBSA says.

"This will enable both the CBSA and (the Vancouver airport) to evaluate the concept, validate projected costs and benefits, and fine-tune operational procedures and technology," Mahoney said.

Technology designed to ease the clearance process for business people and other frequent flyers already exists.

The NEXUS and Canpass Air programs allow pre-approved clearance, low-risk travellers to bypass lines at inspection areas by matching their iris to images stored in the "trusted traveller" database.

Each person's iris, the coloured ring surrounding the pupil, contains as many as 266 unique characteristics that computers can identify.

The new pilot project essentially expands these existing programs, but without a way to check if the traveller is the same person as the one on the document, said aviation and border security expert Mark Salter.

"What's the technology that means I can't take your passport and go through?" he questioned.

CBSA would not provide a detailed explanation, only saying the kiosks "have robust security features that read the information from the machine-readable zone of Canadian passports and permanent-resident cards and pass this information to the CBSA. The CBSA can then assess the risk level of travellers and identify any lost, stolen or fraudulent documents."

Salter notes the government automatically performs a risk assessment of each traveller before they even arrive in Canada.

CBSA receives and analyses Advance Passenger Information (API) and Passenger Name Record (PNR) data from air carriers and operators of aviation-reservation systems.

API data is collected at check-in and include name, date of birth, sex, citizenship or nationality and travel document information; PNR data is collected at the time of booking and includes information relating to a traveller's reservation and itinerary.

"The current Canadian border works on the idea of risk management. You facilitate people who are not problematic and that are known to you, and you spend your precious examination time on those who are unknown to you or those who are known to be problematic," explained Salter, a political studies professor at the University of Ottawa and editor of the 2008 book Politics at the Airport.

"Because 98 per cent of the people who cross the Canadian border are totally benign, are not posing any threat, this is a way of making the border both smart and efficient."

© Copyright (c) Canwest News Service
Old Apr 29, 2010, 7:02 pm

I want to say this is a step in the right direction, but until I see these kiosks in operation, I'll reserve judgement.

Regarding that Vancouver Sun article, the argument against these kiosks seems to revolve around the fallibility of machines and the inability of the software to comfirm the legitimacy of the travel document presented at the kiosk. From what I understand a CBSA officer checks the travel document of each person using the kiosk, so I'm not sure this is a reasonable argument. Regardless, I would like to see some biometrics used. Unfortunately, Passport Canada has already said that new ePassports will not hold any iris scan or fingerprint data.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 8:59 pm

Programs: AC E50K
Originally Posted by taupo
YVR has had them for a few months now. They are great, have used them several times.
+1

I think it started around New Year. There is still an officer looking at you and can asking you simple questions, plus the usual officer at the exit to the public arrival hall.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 11:12 pm

Programs: AC*P, SPG
I utilized one of these machines when I returned from HKG in August 2009, so they have been around for a while now. IIRC, they were implemented by CBSA around that timeframe (Summer 2009).
Old Apr 30, 2010, 1:15 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Executrip
So, you don't speak directly with a Customs Agent with this method?
You still do, but it's a very cursory chat.

I really like these new machines...
Old Apr 30, 2010, 7:43 pm
Original Poster

but the big question is...

...when will these be rolled out to other destinations? I travel through YUL mostly and there is nothing worse than arriving right after the 747 from Morocco or some such place.

Also, why doesn't Canada Customs have a special line for Canadian citizens and one for everyone else like they do in Europe and the US? It bugs me when I am waiting in the US customs line at YUL and US citizens waltz right up and cut in front - good for them but us Canadians should have the same privilege when returning home...
Old May 1, 2010, 8:35 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Dmanmtl
Also, why doesn't Canada Customs have a special line for Canadian citizens and one for everyone else like they do in Europe and the US? It bugs me when I am waiting in the US customs line at YUL and US citizens waltz right up and cut in front - good for them but us Canadians should have the same privilege when returning home...
FWIY, US Customs and Immigration at YVR does not have separate lines for US Citizens and Aliens - The Americans queue with everyone else.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Great improvement.....now on to other airports !!!!

I used this automated custom machine yesterday at YVR arriving from NRT.

Custom hall was unsually empty and I could have used the traditional booths but I choose to try the machines.

They are very user friendly and it took less than 2 minutes to complete the process. Since I had carry on, I proceeded to the CBSA exit and I was waved on to my connector flight.

From entering the hall to making my way to MLL domestic lounge, it was 21 minutes and the majority of that time was spend on the long walk from international to domestic.

FYI, the automated custom machines are found on the left as you leave the escalator into the custom hall.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 7:21 am

Tourist Visa duration

Hi. We used the awesome kiosks at YVR, talked to a customs officer, then after we were permitted entry, realized that we never asked the maximum months we were given to stay as tourists. Since there is no stamping on the passport anymore, how do we know the maximum of months given to us? Although, we do have a return flight, etc. But what if something comes up and we needed to extend? Please help.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 9:05 am

Programs: AC*A
Originally Posted by Katrina Kae Carriedo
Hi. We used the awesome kiosks at YVR, talked to a customs officer, then after we were permitted entry, realized that we never asked the maximum months we were given to stay as tourists. Since there is no stamping on the passport anymore, how do we know the maximum of months given to us? Although, we do have a return flight, etc. But what if something comes up and we needed to extend? Please help.
Generally, it's 6 months:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcen...um=1016&top=16
Old Jun 13, 2017, 10:24 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

It has been a few years since I was last in Canada, so I was surprised to see the kiosks last week. They remind me of the US Global Entry kiosks. So basically I just scanned my passport, answer a few questions, get my photo taken, and go talk to an Immigration agent for a few minutes. It's definitely much more efficient now and no more paper forms.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.