Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

YUL-747 express bus

Old Aug 22, 2013, 11:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
Operated by Montréal's transit agency (Société de transport de Montréal, or STM), the 747 Express Bus runs between Trudeau Airport (YUL) and two alternative destinations:
  • Long route: to Gare d'Autocars. This route serves downtown, Chinatown, and the Latin Quarter, with numerous stops along Boulevard René-Lévesque between Rue Guy and Rue Berri. In addition, Vieux Montréal lies a short walk to the south of several stops.
  • Short route: a single stop at Lionel-Groulx métro station.
Route map

Fares/Passes

The least expensive fare option is a $11 pass (fares starting July 1, 2023). After you exit the bus, keep your pass; it is valid in zone A (Montreal) on any STM bus or métro line for 24 hours from the time it is first swiped.

Holders of the following STM passes may ride the 747 bus free of charge:
  • 24 hours zone A (i.e., the $11 option noted above)*
  • 3-day zone A*
  • weekly zone A
  • monthly zone A*
  • 4-month zone A
  • 24-hr, 3-day, or monthly bus-only
  • unlimited weekend
*Or equivalent pass for zones AB, ABC, or ABCD

There is an additional option that applies only to travel to the airport. See the next section.

How/Where to Purchase Passes

Passes may be purchased
  • on board the bus. Note: Exact change (coins only) is required.
  • from vending machines in the YUL international arrivals area (outside of security). Machines accept debit cards, VISA, MasterCard, and cash. There is an ATM nearby.
  • in all métro stations.
  • at the Gare d'Autocars de Montréal ticket counter.
In addition, only for travel to the airport, you may purchase a $11 single-use ticket from one of 12 designated Agence de mobilité parking pay stations, located near line 747 bus stops. This incudes a parking pay station located in front of the departure point at the Gare d'Autocars de Montréal. Special rules apply:
  • A ticket purchased through a parking pay station is valid only going to the airport, and only for a two-hour period after purchase.
  • The pay stations accept payment (including Canadian-issued credit cards) for 747 bus tickets 24/7.

Service Schedules

The 747 bus operates 24 hours/day, 7 days/week. Depending on traffic conditions, the long route takes from 45 to 60 minutes end to end.

Buses run every 5-16 minutes from 7:30am to midnight, with reduced service overnight and on holidays. Arrival schedules for individual stops may be found on the STM website:
Tips for a Successful Trip

The 747 bus departs YUL from door 28 directly in front of the international arrivals area. From the STM vending machines mentioned above, walk straight outside to the curb.

The westbound departure point is platform 15 in Gare d'Autocars.

Drivers do not always announce approaching stops, and do not stop absent a request. Travelers unfamiliar with the city should watch closely to avoid missing their stop. Signal your request by pulling the overhead cord or pressing a button on one of the vertical poles.

Note that the east- and westbound routes are not symmetrical. Some stops exist in only one direction, so your pickup location for returning to the airport will not necessarily be across the street from where you exited the bus from the airport.

All buses and stops are accessible.

Further Information

For additional details, see the 747 bus homepage on the STM website.

Print Wikipost

YUL-747 express bus

Old Jan 18, 2017, 5:42 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Agree with everything segacs writes - excellent summary of the situation.

It is unbelievable that YUL has an underground train station ready to go (below the US departure wing), but politics can't agree on building 500m of track to connect it to either the CN or CP lines at Dorval. One of many QC embarrassments.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 9:06 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Global Entry
I took the 747 bus earlier this week. It came on time, had plenty of room, and got us there pretty efficiently. I would use it again, although I'd welcome underground service.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 12:17 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
I take 747 when I can, if it stops nearby your destination is definitely a great option and they are reliable.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 10:18 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
I'll be heading from YUL to the Marriott Chateau Champlain on Monday evening. Showers are predicted. If it is raining, would FTers recommend changing to the Metro at Lionel-Groulx and staying underground from Bonaventure station to the hotel, or taking the bus all the way downtown to Peel St?
Old Apr 8, 2017, 2:01 pm

Programs: ba silver
If you take the metro you will have direct access from Bonaventure. It's an elevator directly into the hotel. Getting off at Peel St will leave you with a walk of one downhill block. Safe travels.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 2:53 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Looks like there is now a new 747 "sub-route" which will only go to Lionel-Groulx. The previous 747 route is still in effect and stop at Terminus Lionel-Groulx before continuing to downtown and ending at Berri-UQAM but the frequency may not be as often as before.

http://www.stm.info/en/info/networks...-ville-shuttle
Old Jul 29, 2017, 4:29 pm

For those of you using the $10 day pass, consider passing it along to a fellow traveler once you are done with it and it still has sufficient time remaining. My wife and I always gave ours away to surprised and grateful strangers, especially at the YUL ticket machine. We always felt there was enough good karma in our lives to allow us to share. I use the past tense because my wife recently passed away. Moving forward, I will continue the tradition, which was originally her idea.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 5:37 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, NEXUS
Originally Posted by flyme2
For those of you using the $10 day pass, consider passing it along to a fellow traveler once you are done with it and it still has sufficient time remaining. My wife and I always gave ours away to surprised and grateful strangers, especially at the YUL ticket machine. We always felt there was enough good karma in our lives to allow us to share. I use the past tense because my wife recently passed away. Moving forward, I will continue the tradition, which was originally her idea.
Sorry to hear about wife. My thoughts are with you.

I am curious to know how you are sure that your flight won't get cancelled. Wouldn't you need another pass to get from the airport to Downtown?
Old Jul 30, 2017, 12:17 am

Originally Posted by OSSYULYYZ
Sorry to hear about wife. My thoughts are with you.

I am curious to know how you are sure that your flight won't get cancelled. Wouldn't you need another pass to get from the airport to Downtown?
Were my flight to get canceled, the my scheduled (not charter) airline would accommodate me on another flight on the same day. If I wanted to be 100% certain, the check-in counters and bus ticket vending machine are both landslide, and I could concievably gift my ticket after checking-in.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 6:50 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Originally Posted by flyme2
For those of you using the $10 day pass, consider passing it along to a fellow traveler once you are done with it and it still has sufficient time remaining. My wife and I always gave ours away to surprised and grateful strangers, especially at the YUL ticket machine. We always felt there was enough good karma in our lives to allow us to share.
^^ My better half always does this as well. I can't - I use a personalized monthly pass.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by Jeeves
We bought a 3-day metro pass from the machine in the international arrivals area for $18 each. We were able to use it for the 747 bus and 3 days of metro usage. We didn't use the metro as much as I originally thought, since so many of the places we visited were in easy walking distance.

I thought the 747 bus was fine and it had a stop one block from our hotel. We thought about getting a taxi from the airport for the 3 of us, but then figured we would get 3 days of metro usage as a bonus for about the same cost.
Is this available without buying the OPUS card for $6 extra? For a 3-day visit I would rather just get the single 3-day pass for $18 at YUL arrivals, but the web site seems to say the airport won't sell it:

"Transit fare only sold on reusable OPUS card, available from these vending machines for $6."

Where to buy transit fares Société de transport de Montréal
Old Mar 28, 2018, 9:42 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by GaryD
Is this available without buying the OPUS card for $6 extra? For a 3-day visit I would rather just get the single 3-day pass for $18 at YUL arrivals, but the web site seems to say the airport won't sell it:

"Transit fare only sold on reusable OPUS card, available from these vending machines for $6."

Where to buy transit fares Société de transport de Montréal
You'll be fine with the "Ocasionnelle" non re-loadable cards that are sold in the machines, including those at YUL. No charge for those, just the $18 for the three days.

Check out this pdf with all the options clearly indicated.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by ls17031
You'll be fine with the "Ocasionnelle" non re-loadable cards that are sold in the machines, including those at YUL. No charge for those, just the $18 for the three days.

Check out this pdf with all the options clearly indicated.
Confirm that those are available at the arrivals hall, payable by credit card, thanks.

The 747 bus stop is to the right of the hall, past the farthest right door, 2 minutes walk outside. Odd. At least the stop area has a covered structure with heaters in the ceiling.
Old Aug 17, 2023, 10:10 am

deleted

Last edited by beltway; Apr 5, 2024 at 12:36 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.