Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

YVR US-bound flights that DON'T go through preclearance?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2009, 6:23 pm
Original Poster

My experience has been that US immigration people at YVR pre-clearance give me more hassle than anywhere else I've experienced. For my next trip, I want to go through US immigration in the US.

I know there's a few US flights that don't go through pre-clearance in YVR - or at least, there used to be (YVR-HOU red-eye special comes to mind.. and I think there was an ATL one?).

Is this still the case? How do I otherwise tell before booking it if a flight goes through pre-clearance?
Old Nov 24, 2009, 3:47 am

Philippine Airlines, YVR-LAS, I think.
Probably also the former Qantas YVR-SFO route, but that's not flying anymore, if I recall.

I believe that Victoria Airport on the island doesn't have US preclearance facilities.
Old Nov 24, 2009, 2:24 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Cathay Pacfic, YVR -> JFK.

...plus Philippine Airlines to LAS as already mentioned.

Originally Posted by Delta20
How do I otherwise tell before booking it if a flight goes through pre-clearance?
With a few rare exceptions mentioned, you need to pretty much always assume your flight goes through pre-clearance.

Another option is to drive to BLI airport and feed into Alaska's network from there, or fly Allegiant Air. (Delta used to serve BLI, but they may have pulled out...)

Last edited by gglave; Nov 24, 2009 at 3:10 pm
Old Nov 24, 2009, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AE
My experience has been that US immigration people at YVR pre-clearance give me more hassle than anywhere else I've experienced. For my next trip, I want to go through US immigration in the US.

I know there's a few US flights that don't go through pre-clearance in YVR - or at least, there used to be (YVR-HOU red-eye special comes to mind.. and I think there was an ATL one?).

Is this still the case? How do I otherwise tell before booking it if a flight goes through pre-clearance?
Why don't you just get NEXUS?
Old Nov 27, 2009, 2:12 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Originally Posted by that_guy

I believe that Victoria Airport on the island doesn't have US preclearance facilities.
If the OP is going to schlep over to Victoria, s/he may as well go by land to SEA with its infinitely better flight options.
Old Nov 27, 2009, 5:59 pm
B1

My experience has been that US immigration people at YVR pre-clearance give me more hassle than anywhere else I've experienced.
Don't jump to conclusions. If you arrive by plane from out of the US into a US airport customs and immigration line you should be subject to the same sort of examination. They don't have special rules and if you're flagged in one computer terminal, you're flagged in all.
Old Nov 29, 2009, 10:51 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Come from outside countries without US preclearance, to a US port of entry, you will likely have to stand in lines/queues for non US citizens/residents. If that is the case, you may have to wait a lot longer to reach the US immigration agent, than if you stand in the same line trying to clear US immigration at YVR.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 9:40 am

Drive across the border and get on AS/QX or G4 in BLI to head south. Frankly I'm still offended by the 'Welcome to the United States' banner in the Vancouver airport as you pass through pre-clearance.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 12:40 pm

Programs: UA .5M, Vistana 1-Star owner
Cool YVR PreClearance

YVR PreClearance hours aren't officially listed but basically 05:00-20:00 & only CX & PR leave for the US outside those hours from Concourse D (PR is D65) instead of E.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 6:14 pm

Programs: AC, WN, Nexus
Delta has several evening flights from the D gates. I recall United flights too, but I don't see any tonight.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 11:16 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by CZBB
Drive across the border and get on AS/QX or G4 in BLI to head south. Frankly I'm still offended by the 'Welcome to the United States' banner in the Vancouver airport as you pass through pre-clearance.
Better version?

Welcome to passing the US checkpoint
Old Sep 4, 2016, 3:10 pm

Programs: AC 35k
I get what the OP means. Back when I was YXU based, I opted for YXU-ORD every time to avoid the hassle at YYZ. I remember one time coming into ORD the guy waved me into the U.S. Line and when I cleared (no fuss whatsoever) the CBP guy said "Welcome home" and I said "But I'm Canadian!" He shrugged and said "Close enough." ORD is a terrible airport but customs there was a dream.
Old Sep 11, 2016, 7:13 am
Suspended

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence
UA has a summer redeye flight that goes to ORD. Departs from the international terminal instead of transborder.
Old Sep 11, 2016, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
I you want to add historical routes, CX to SFO (2nd N. Am destination after YVR, operated 742) and PR to EWR (M11).

Not quite in the same category but AS started YVR-SNA n/s. Was precleared but since SNA is not a int'l port of entry or custom rights airport, the n/s route got scrubbed after the first flight.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 5:37 pm
B1

The same officials from the US do clearance and pre-clearance and have to work with the same rules. If you arrive in the US for clearance there can be very long lines if overseas flights have arrived recently. Prepare for long waits unless you have Global Entry (they don't seem to use NEXUS in US airports). YTZ has no preclearance and Porter flies to BOS and EWR where there are often long waits. Porter is trying to get pre-clearance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.