Reload this Page >

Getting to Lancaster, CA

Getting to Lancaster, CA

Old Jun 19, 2009, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Jumbo mas
Getting to Lancaster, CA

It seems like with no more PMD service, that BUR is the nearest airport. Can this be? (Over 60 miles away). This would make driving from the Bay Area the most time efficient way to get there, if I end up having to go. Bleh. Ideas?
Old Jun 19, 2009, 8:19 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA Dirt; HH Diamond; National Emerald; CONTROL SecretAgent Platinum; KAOS EvilFlyer Gold
It's about 72 miles from LAX, so not much further than from BUR; you'd have more options flying into LAX than BUR.

It's an easy 1-hr drive up the 405 and then the 14, as long as it's not afternoon rush hour when everyone's heading home towards Santa Clarita, Palmdale, and Lancaster, when it could easily turn into 2-3 hours.

2 other options might be Bakersfield (BFL), which is about a 90 mile drive to Lancaster (but no rush hour issues); looks like there's 1 or 2 SFO-BFL flights a day on UA; or Inyokern/Ridgecrest (IYK), about 75 miles to Lancaster, but you'd have to connect through LAX, so that makes it kind of moot.

Considering you could make the drive from the Bay area in about 5 hours, I think you're right, driving would be most time-efficient method, and give you total flexibility on time. I've made that (reverse-direction) drive before- for the scenic route, from I-5, I suggest cutting over to Bakersfield then take 58 through the mountains, then south on 14.

Last edited by Maxwell Smart; Jun 19, 2009 at 8:35 pm
Old Jun 19, 2009, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Well, if the five-and-a-half-hour drive isn't appetizing to you, you can always fly into BUR, take a Metrolink one stop to the Downtown Burbank station, and then transfer to the Lancaster-bound Metrolink on the Antelope Valley line, but at best, you're going to just about match the drive time. (Check the train schedules--you might be able to shave significant time off by taking a taxi to the Downtown Burbank station instead of using Metrolink for that first leg, which can make for a long connection time.)

Sample itinerary on Google Transit

You can do the same thing from LAX with a transfer from LAX to L.A. Union Station on the Flyaway bus, which may or may not work out better for your schedule.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 9:14 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Or you can spend a long time taking a combination of trains and busses to go Amtrak from San Francisco area via the central valley.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Or you can spend a long time taking a combination of trains and busses to go Amtrak from San Francisco area via the central valley.
I will drive if I had to go. But I thought maybe there was some airport that somehow I hadn't thought of (like IYK) but once I have to deal with getting to SFO, park, etc., and then have to rent a car and drive a ways on the other end, it will cost me 4x as much and take longer than driving.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 10:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Sadly, BUR is the best you'll get with Palmdale out of the picture. I'd drive before I flew to BUR to get to Lancaster. BUR is the best for LA basin trips though ^
Old Jun 19, 2009, 10:19 pm

Programs: Motel 6 Club Avoir Le Cafard
You don't want to go there. Trust me. Dogs go there to die.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 11:52 pm

take Metrolink fro Burbank to lancaster
Old Jun 20, 2009, 12:27 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please continue to follow this thread in the California Forum.
Thanks,
Obscure2k
Travelbuzz Moderator
Old Jun 20, 2009, 7:16 am

Here are good directions

You can take 80 E-580 E -205 E to 5 south to Highway 138 E. to 14 south. From South Bay take 101 S to 152 E to 5 south to 138 E to 14 South. This takes around 5 hours. You take 138 E just after Lebec CA. The drive time should be around 6-7 hours. Highway 138 is straight and you do not have to take the Grapevine and take 14 north. I did this once going to Lancaster. I would avoid Highway 58 at all costs since there are many stoplights from Highway 5. Highway 138 bypasses Bakersfield.

Hope this helps.
Old Jun 20, 2009, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by danielonn
You can take 80 E-580 E -205 E to 5 south to Highway 138 E. to 14 south. From South Bay take 101 S to 152 E to 5 south to 138 E to 14 South. This takes around 5 hours. You take 138 E just after Lebec CA. The drive time should be around 6-7 hours. Highway 138 is straight and you do not have to take the Grapevine and take 14 north. I did this once going to Lancaster. I would avoid Highway 58 at all costs since there are many stoplights from Highway 5. Highway 138 bypasses Bakersfield.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the info. This is a classic case of "if there was convenient air service, I'd fly." Instead, I'll probably just do what I have to do by phone. It won't be as effective, but a two day trip with a hotel night won't even begin to cover any incremental benefit of being there.
Old Jun 21, 2009, 5:18 pm

If you have spare time in Lancaster, the town of Mojave is 30 miles north. Hundreds of airliners are mothballed there. It's sort of interesting to see what looks like a major international airport (based on tails) in the middle of the desert. There are good views from area roads and highways; unfortunately close access was shut off after 9/11. There used to be monthly tours (reservation required), I don't know if they still do that. Another good vantage point is the airport cafe.
Old Jun 21, 2009, 8:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by kenish
If you have spare time in Lancaster, the town of Mojave is 30 miles north. Hundreds of airliners are mothballed there. It's sort of interesting to see what looks like a major international airport (based on tails) in the middle of the desert. There are good views from area roads and highways; unfortunately close access was shut off after 9/11. There used to be monthly tours (reservation required), I don't know if they still do that. Another good vantage point is the airport cafe.
Sadly, their web site says no more tours until further notice. Here is the Voyager restaurant:

http://www.mojaveairport.com/voyager.htm
Old Jun 23, 2009, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Metrolink from BUR is not a bad option, but I would drive.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.