Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > California
Reload this Page >

Using a RV...can I park anywhere overnight?

Old Jan 20, 2007, 5:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold, SPG Plat

Hi,
as I have never rented a RV before, I was wondering if you can help me on this one:
Is it allowed to park the RV anywhere, maybe on a parking lot or next to a gast station for an overnight stay? Or is it prohibited by law and one has always to look out for an official camping ground? RV will be rented in LAX.
Old Jan 20, 2007, 5:55 pm

Programs: AA, USAir, UA
No, you should make sure that the place you are parking does not have signs limiting parking.

Many city and residential streets in the Los Angeles area limit parking to certain hours, days, or in a few cases to residents of the neighborhood. Private parking lots often limit their use to customers, employees, or specific hours or amounts of time.

That being said many (but not all) Walmart stores allow overnight RV parking (where not forbidden by local ordinance). Some larger shopping centers don't object to RV users parking overnight in remote corners. Most major truckstops have no problem with overnight RV parking, and in fact if you go into the rear area (which usually says "truckers only") they have a variety of laundry facitities, pay showers, and TV lounges.

Finally, most places in LA have a "72 hour rule" that allows a vehicle otherwise legally parked on public streets to be cited if it is not moved for 72 hours. While not usually rigorously enforced for smaller cars or trucks....RVs and commercial trucks are often targeted by parking enforcement, or called-in by neighbors.
Old Jan 20, 2007, 6:02 pm

Programs: No more status...just doing my best in burning my points/miles.
Originally Posted by berlinflyer
Hi,
as I have never rented a RV before, I was wondering if you can help me on this one:
Is it allowed to park the RV anywhere, maybe on a parking lot or next to a gast station for an overnight stay? Or is it prohibited by law and one has always to look out for an official camping ground? RV will be rented in LAX.
It is my understanding that as long as you are legally parked on a PUBLIC road and there is no signage that stipulates that you cannot habitate the vehicle, you may do so up to 72 hours. Private roads have no such stipulations.

If you are looking for campgrounds go search for the KOA (campgrounds of america). They have locations in most areas and cater to motorhomes and campers.
Old Jan 20, 2007, 6:15 pm

http://www.freecampgrounds.com/

Also see: http://www.freecampgrounds.com/walmart_nocamping.aspx

and

http://www.freecampgrounds.com/othercamps.html
Old Jan 21, 2007, 10:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold, SPG Plat
Thanks for the information, very helpful! ^
Old Jan 21, 2007, 11:57 pm
In memoriam

Might be a good idea to call local police and ask. I have the distinct impression that certain areas are hostile to street parked RVs, e.g. Santa Barbara.
Old Jan 24, 2007, 2:13 pm

did you know that Sam's Club parking lots allow free overnight RV parking ? I guess Sam was an RV'er
Old Jan 24, 2007, 2:16 pm

Programs: CO-Dirt,SPG-Nothing,Marriott-Gold, Hilton-Blue, Hyatt-Plat, HI-Plat
Originally Posted by venturarose
did you know that Sam's Club parking lots allow free overnight RV parking ? I guess Sam was an RV'er
As do quite a few Walmarts
Old Jan 27, 2007, 11:33 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, AS Mileage Plan, SPG Gold
Width

Originally Posted by biggestbopper
Might be a good idea to call local police and ask. I have the distinct impression that certain areas are hostile to street parked RVs, e.g. Santa Barbara.

A lot of cities are hostile to street parked RV's. Many of them use a width restriction banning vehicles over 84 inches wide from parking on certain streets.

Call the local PD to check.

Steve

PS: On a different note, back in the 1990's there was a movie which featured a bunch of guys renting an RV and going to a basketball game in Los Angeles. Somewhere along the way to the game, they took a detour around traffic and got stuck in unfamiliar territories which was heavily gang infested. They ended up getting attacked by the gang and abandoning their RV (it was set on fire by the gang) and fleeing through the sewers and alleys of the city. I think all but one of the guys got killed off. Anybody remember the name of this movie?
Old Jan 30, 2007, 2:21 pm

Programs: UAL, AA, USAIR
First time RV'er?

There's a lot of stuff you need to know and that would be good to know. I would hope the rental company would have a nice thick version of an FAQ with all that info; if they don't, you might reconsider your choice of renter.

Might also be worth joining the Good Sam Club for their help.
Old Feb 1, 2007, 12:05 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by party_boy
It is my understanding that as long as you are legally parked on a PUBLIC road and there is no signage that stipulates that you cannot habitate the vehicle, you may do so up to 72 hours.
I wouldn't count on that statewide. In the city I worked, we had some unique city ordinances that prohibited heavy vehicles, motorhomes, trucks and trailers from parking on streets in residential areas, and also one that you could not repair a vehicle on a city street. It really matters what city you're going to park in (and even then I wouldn't assume that the police employee answering the phone is going to be up on every ordinance).

Our Walmart had signs that prohibited overnight parking, and I'm sure there was an obscure city ordinance behind that, too.
Old Feb 1, 2007, 12:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold (UA comp)
Originally Posted by party_boy
It is my understanding that as long as you are legally parked on a PUBLIC road and there is no signage that stipulates that you cannot habitate the vehicle, you may do so up to 72 hours. Private roads have no such stipulations.

If you are looking for campgrounds go search for the KOA (campgrounds of america). They have locations in most areas and cater to motorhomes and campers.
In fact, it is city dependent. Some cities will only cite you beyond 72 hours if the PD is complained to. Then, they don't start the 72 hour clock until they come out and mark the car in some way (usually a note and some chalk).

Best is to call the PD and ask them 1st what the ordinance for parking is and then if acceptable specifically ask about RVs.
Old Feb 14, 2007, 1:39 pm

Programs: Delta PM,UA 1P,
I believe all of the rest stops on the major Interstates allow overnight stays a
Old Feb 17, 2007, 2:37 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by tom911
I wouldn't count on that statewide. In the city I worked, we had some unique city ordinances...
It's quite amazing what kind of traffic rules cities seem to come up with in the States. I was passing through one town in Texas that had signs up "Use of motor break prohibited by city ordinance."

HTB.
Old Feb 17, 2007, 10:57 am

Programs: AV LifeMiles, CM ConnectMiles, BA Exec Club. Former:ex-ASGold, ex-UA1K, ex-COPlat, ex-NWGold.
Originally Posted by htb
It's quite amazing what kind of traffic rules cities seem to come up with in the States. I was passing through one town in Texas that had signs up "Use of motor break prohibited by city ordinance."

HTB.
Not at all uncommon. "motor break(sic)" refers to a certain type of diesel-engine-based brake. They are very noisy, and this is a noise-pollution/quality-of-life regulation in many areas. Commonly called "Jake Brakes" after the company that makes the most commonly-used kind, but that company complains to municipalities that put up "Jake Brakes Prohibited" signs, since other companies also make them, and since not all Jacob-manufactured braking products are noisy engine brakes.

That sign does not mean "you can't use your brakes to slow down" - wow, how stupid do you think we are here in the States? It just means that big rig truckers can't use their noisy engine brakes within city limits out of respect for the noise laws. If they need their engine brakes inside a populated area they're going too darn fast.

How do I know this? I live just the other side of a noise-reduction dirt berm from an interstate highway that has an 8% 8-mile downhill. We have that same regulation on that stretch of road to allow people to have some peace and quiet. Actually it's an "engine brake mufflers required" rule - they can use them if they are properly set up so that don't sound like machine gun fire. I regularly hear the trucks ignoring the rules. Better than having their regular brakes burn up and the truck go runaway, which happens often enough unfortunately.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.