Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > California
Reload this Page >

Accommodation planning help [San Diego, willing to go as far north as Newport Beach]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Accommodation planning help [San Diego, willing to go as far north as Newport Beach]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2017, 5:02 am
Original Poster

Hello all,

Will be travelling to San Diego from September 14-17. Looking for hotel suggestions for that weekend. We're willing to drive up all the way to Newport Beach or Laguna beach or stay in San Diego, very open right now.

I'm SPG gold as well as Marriott gold although don't necessarily have to stay at these brands although I'll may get some benefits.

Also This may be a good opportunity to burn some points - the us grant hotel is 12k points per night and the nightly rate is $330USD plus taxes. I think this is a good redemption value?

Any suggestions?

Thx
Old Jul 13, 2017, 12:58 pm

I'm also SPG/Marriott Gold, and the perks for Golds are better at Marriott than Starwood (since SPG Gold is really more equivalent to Marriott Silver, but that's not how they matched the tier levels).

What exactly are you looking for? When you say "resort" I think of something on or near a beach with a fair amount of outdoor space; the US Grant is downtown so doesn't have much of that. I haven't stayed there but my parents have stayed at both downtown Westins and seemed happy with them.

If you want something more resort-like in the Marriott/SPG family, the first that comes to mind is the Coronado Island Marriott Resort, which is across the bay from downtown San Diego. There is also the Hotel del Coronado, which is joining Hilton's Curio Collection.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 9:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Hawaiian717
I'm also SPG/Marriott Gold, and the perks for Golds are better at Marriott than Starwood (since SPG Gold is really more equivalent to Marriott Silver, but that's not how they matched the tier levels).

What exactly are you looking for? When you say "resort" I think of something on or near a beach with a fair amount of outdoor space; the US Grant is downtown so doesn't have much of that. I haven't stayed there but my parents have stayed at both downtown Westins and seemed happy with them.

If you want something more resort-like in the Marriott/SPG family, the first that comes to mind is the Coronado Island Marriott Resort, which is across the bay from downtown San Diego. There is also the Hotel del Coronado, which is joining Hilton's Curio Collection.
THanks - We're pretty open to a resort style setting or a city style hotel.

reviews of Marriott Coronado haven't been too good lately

So far ive looked at at the Grant, Marriott Gaslamp, Marriott Vacation Club Pulse, Marriott Laguna Cliff, Pier South - Autograph Collection, The Westin Gaslamp. Marriott Del Mar looks good, but sold out for our dates!

I was also exploring some Hotels (Starwood, Marriott, Ritz) In the Palm DEsert / Palm Springs area for a different vibe, but it may be too hot Mid September.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 9:54 am

I would go for the reward nights at the US Grant. It is an old and historic hotel that received a much-needed makeover a few years back. There are not many grand old places like this left, so it is a good experience. 12k points makes it a very good deal. It is literally across the street from the outdoor Westfield shopping center in the heart of downtown and the Gaslamp. It is not the best option if you just want to stay in the hotel, but it is a very good base for exploring the area.

Laguna may be the best 'resort' option, but it could be a long drive. There is also not much to do in that area, so you may get bored if you are interested in exploring. You would be going against the typical weekend migration from LA to SD, but there are still numerous bottlenecks on that route. Traffic anywhere on PCH on the weekend is always bad, especially around Laguna. If you do decide to go that route, try and take the coastal roads (Coast Hwy, Carlsbad Blvd, PCH) all the way. You would only need to take the 5 freeway between Oceanside and San Clemente. It does not take much longer, but is much more scenic.

If you do not like heat, stay away from the high desert. Better to visit between October and February.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 11:08 am
Community Director Emerita

Have you considered the Inn at Rancho Santa Fe? It's beautiful in a lovely small town roughly 25 miles north of San Diego.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...portfolio.html
Old Jul 25, 2017, 4:15 am
Original Poster

Accommodation planning help

Hi all - stilll trying to plan our few days in Cali

wife and I are going to be in Cali for a short time in mid september. she is attending a conference and I'm tagging along at the end. Her conference ends wed night in carlsbad and we have the night paid for there by her company.

our flight leaves San Diego airport on the Sunday at 3pm.

On Saturday afternoon/ early eveningwe will be visiting family in Santa Monica for most of the day.

Purpose of our trip is to relax by the pool and beach and eat!! Shopping is a bonus but not necessary

Need some help on where to stay. I have a few options in mind

Our ultimate preference was to spend 3 nights at the ritz laguna but it's only available on the fri and sat nights, not the Thursday, so

1)stay at the Marriott laguna cliffs thurs, move to ritz for fri and sat

2)stay st marrriott laguna all 3 nights

3) stay at Marriott Newport coast villas (or another Newport Beach hotel 3 nights

4) stay at paseo or Hyatt or Hilton Huntington Beach for 3 nights

5) stay closer to la somewhere on the beach

6)just stay in San Diego for the 3 nights

7)combination of the above

My only concern with staying at the ritz for the last 2 nights is since we'll be going to Santa Monica on the Saturday, we won't really be spending any time there during the day so feel like it will be a waste staying there as Sunday Mid morning we'll have to leave for the SAN airport in order to reach the airport.

So basically we have all day thurs, all day fri, sat morning for our own personal time. We've been to San Diego before so this trip really wanted to just relax for a couple of days by the ocean and pool.

We are in our mid thirties, enjoy nightlife, trendy restaurants, lounges etc

Thanks!
Old Jul 25, 2017, 10:03 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Action

HI @WGretzky!

Since this new question is closely related to your original request for help, I've merged the two threads.

TWA884
California moderator
Old Jul 25, 2017, 3:15 pm

For downtown our go to is definitely the US Grant, just be aware there has been a big increase in homelessness in San Diego the last few years. Horton Plaza the mall downtown is unpleasant to say the least after dark, many empty shops and lots of homeless people hanging around. At least there was when we were last there in December.
For the beach we always use the Hotel Del Coronado , best if you can get a room in the old building but a fantastic beach and location.
If you fancy hanging by the pool and/or maybe the Spa then take a look at the Fairmont Grand Del Mar, always fantastic service and the Spa is our favourite in San Diego. Addison is one of (if not the) best restaurants in San Diego.
The wife and I recently had a weekend escape from the kids at Laguna Beach, we booked short notice so we couldn't find anything high end (for what its worth we stayed at the Inn at Laguna beach which was pleasant enough, quiet and had great ocean views) and really enjoyed the town. We were within easy walking distance on many great restaurants and bars, (Check out the Deck at Laguna Beach at the Pacific Edge Hotel for some great cocktails right on the beach). The area felt very safe and laid back.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Make your family come to you. Driving to Santa Monica then all the way back to SD airport is a lot of vacation time on the road.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 8:38 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Don't stay at the Marriott Laguna Cliffs.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 3:32 am

Minimize your driving time

I agree with VickiSoCal. The drive between San Diego and Santa Monica is not fun. Avoid it as much as you can. If your family could come to you, that would be good. In any case, for such a short time, try to minimize the driving. It will be brutal --- especially during rush hours and most of the time on the weekend. Not Palm Springs --- too hot, too far. I'd also avoid San Diego. U.S. Grant?
Meh. And why go as far south as Coronado? Coronado is great, but if you could stick to destinations between Carlsbad and Santa Monica, I'd do that. (That said, the Grand Del Mar is lovely!) I don't have many specific hotel recommendations, but Laguna sounds good for a beach/tourist vibe.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 10:21 pm

Another vote for the Grand Del Mar -- not beach, but beautiful. If you really want to be in the Gaslamp, I guess the U. S. Grant is okay. Horton Plaza is not a destination these days -- a ghost town. Oh -- now I see that this thread is old. Maybe the opinions will still be useful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.