Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > California
Reload this Page >

San Diego Quiet Neighborhood/Town

Old Jun 22, 2017, 6:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club

We're looking to stay at a hotel in or near San Diego, but in a bit quieter/more relaxed area. We're coming from NYC so want our vacation time to be in a relaxed area, preferably by the beach.

Any suggestions on places to look? Thoughts on Mission Beach?

We want to go to the zoo, but have no other plans while we're there.

Also, if you have any advice on specific hotels that would be great too.

Last edited by jetsfan92588; Jun 22, 2017 at 6:36 pm
Old Jun 22, 2017, 8:16 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Honestly? I've stayed in "every" Marriott in the greater San Diego Metro area and especially compared to NYC, the entire area is "relaxed"; even the Convention Center Plaza area isn't very loud or crowded (except maybe on game days, which means avoid the Gaslamp Courtyard I guess).

And I was in the Coronado Marriott over Memorial Day weekend; the weather was gray and chilly so it wasn't very crowded but even still it probably meets your needs.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 1:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
If you're going to the zoo anyway, you might as well spend at least a little time at Balboa Park, located on Park Blvd. near the zoo.

It's a large "urban culture park" with open space, gardens, walking paths, museums, places to eat, etc. It also contains the Spreckels Organ Pavilion, with free concerts every Sunday at 2 PM, as well as other events.

Visiting Balboa Park is, in my experience, more relaxing than visiting the zoo.

https://www.balboapark.org/
bigguyinpasadena likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 6:03 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
If you're going to the zoo anyway, you might as well spend at least a little time at Balboa Park, located on Park Blvd. near the zoo. ...
IMHO, the botanical and other specialty gardens in Balboa Park are among the best things about visiting San Diego. We can spend hours wandering among them.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 6:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It's not really in San Diego, but how about LaJolla? The village has lots of restaurants and bars, there's a museum, a walk along the sea, etc.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It's not really in San Diego, but how about LaJolla? The village has lots of restaurants and bars, there's a museum, a walk along the sea, etc.
La Jolla is some miles north of the "main" part of San Diego, but it is, in fact, within the city limits of San Diego.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 10:42 am

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
May not be everyone's cup of tea, but I like staying in the Liberty Station area - it's just west of the airport and feels like a world away from downtown, but is quite close. When I'm in town for work or conferences, I actually try to stay out of the fray.

There's a Homewood Suites and a Courtyard. A number of small eateries and nice views with a waterfront park. Easy freeway access.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 8:00 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Well, since no one mentioned world famous Hotel Coronado, that is right on the beach.

Went to a conference for work and stayed on Coronado Island, but on the other side without a beach but with a view of downtown. It was great - don't recall the name but I'm sure you can Google it (if someone doesn't post first) IIRC it's the first hotel on right as you get off the bridge. Has its own pier.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 10:58 pm
Original Member

Programs: AS, UA, HY, Hil, Merr
Jetsfan92588

You mentioned the zoo at as destination in your plans.

You might also want to consider, in Escondido, its partner, dedicated to reproduction of endangered animals. Here is a link to this fairly unique facility

http://sdzsafaripark.org/
Old Jun 24, 2017, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
Honestly? I've stayed in "every" Marriott in the greater San Diego Metro area and especially compared to NYC, the entire area is "relaxed"; even the Convention Center Plaza area isn't very loud or crowded (except maybe on game days, which means avoid the Gaslamp Courtyard I guess).
Comic-Con weekend (typically mid-late July) is probably a different story too. Then again, availability is likely zero near downtown at this point for those who need to be in SD then.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 3:44 am

I think the suggestion of Liberty Station is worth considering. No real high-end hotels, but the atmosphere is much quieter than downtown. And Liberty Station itself is worth a visit. Lots of small shops, places to eat (including an interesting market), small museums ---and on weekends there are often events with music, art, performances. Fun. Plus, it's close to anything else in San Diego. Balboa Park is wonderful---theater, museums --- and the zoo is right there. The Safari Park is excellent --- if you're up for a bit of a drive and warmer weather.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 9:27 am

I'm sure that the OP has already visited, so I'm posting this for future readers of this thread. The hotels next to the convention center are in what I would consider a quiet area. I enjoyed my stay at the Hilton Bayfront and when I went outside to walk along the bay it was quiet. If you go across the ped bridge into the heart of the Gaslamp, you'll encounter a much nosier environment.

Another quiet area that I like is the around the Sheraton Marina. I've stayed at that Sheraton several times and it's a peaceful area. Walking along the bay in that area with a cup of coffee in the morning is so relaxing. There's typically people running and walking. There is also a path that you can walk that takes you from the hotel, along the marina, and under the N Habor Dr bridge to another quiet are where there is Starbucks, a park and a walking trail around the water in that area. It's a short drive from Balboa Park and the zoo from the hotel.

Someone mention La Jolla and while I absolutely love walking along the cove, Prospect st, Girard Ave, dining outside at George's on the Cove, dining outside at The Med and happy hour at Catania, it's not the most quiet area, specifically along Prospect St where most of the nice hotel are.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 3:45 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
If you want quiet, but easy access to the zoo etc, I'd suggest Westin Downtown. There are two Westin's. The Gaslamp and Downtown. Stay at the Downtown property. Easy walk or Uber to many places in town.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.