Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > California
Reload this Page >

2 days Yosemite with 2 yo, where should we go?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2017, 8:13 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Per thread title, we're going to Yosemite next spring break. We'll be staying at Mariposa. Can you give us suggestion which activities/trails are suitable with 2 yo in tow?

Thanks
Old Mar 16, 2017, 8:23 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Will he/she be walking or will you be carrying him - perhaps in a child-pack?
Old Mar 17, 2017, 5:12 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by abmj-jr
Will he/she be walking or will you be carrying him - perhaps in a child-pack?
She will be walking, no child-pack. Is an umbrella stroller possible?
Old Mar 17, 2017, 5:29 am

Originally Posted by Vaucluse
Per thread title, we're going to Yosemite next spring break. We'll be staying at Mariposa. Can you give us suggestion which activities/trails are suitable with 2 yo in tow?

Thanks
By "next spring break" do you mean 2017 or 2018?

And are you aware Mariposa Grove is closed until Fall 2017?
https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvis...iposagrove.htm

Personally I wouldn't take a 2 year old to Yosemite. They're old enough to be both mobile and stealthy and young enough to have no judgement. We took our kid out in the wilderness until he was independently mobile and then stuck to less hazardous places until he was 4.5 and reasonably sensible.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 6:17 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CDTraveler
By "next spring break" do you mean 2017 or 2018?

And are you aware Mariposa Grove is closed until Fall 2017?
https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvis...iposagrove.htm

Personally I wouldn't take a 2 year old to Yosemite. They're old enough to be both mobile and stealthy and young enough to have no judgement. We took our kid out in the wilderness until he was independently mobile and then stuck to less hazardous places until he was 4.5 and reasonably sensible.
Sorry, it should be this spring break. How does the closure affect us? Which entrance should we go instead? I understand your opinion, thus, we're looking for activities/trails which is safer for 2 yo. Obviously we'll try to keep her within armlength all the time. This will be our first trip to Yosemite and we're not locals.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 8:09 am

The Mariposa Grove of Big Trees, which is closed, is nowhere near the town of Mariposa so you should be fine. The main route to the Park from Mariposa is via Highway 140, which is currently open and clear and runs right through the town. The Grove is located clear down off the other, southern entrance. You will not be anywhere near there.

In your case, I'd think you would be best served to visit only Yosemite Valley. Highway 140 takes you right there and the Valley Loop road has some of the nicest scenery. You don't even have to get out of the car if you don't want to - but you should. With your little one, you could walk out into the central meadow on one of the many foot paths. Several of them take you down to the Merced River, in the middle of the meadow. The rivers and falls will be running VERY high so keep firm control of the baby. People get into trouble every year by underestimating the power and danger.

Some of the better trails in the meadow would be ok for a short walk with a stroller. You could also walk up the short, paved path to the viewpoint of Bridal Veil Fall for a nice view of that waterfall. The charming little Valley Chapel would be easily seen with a stroller. Both of those are right off the main loop and the parking areas are visible from the road.

The trail to the Vernal Falls Bridge at Happy Isles is paved but would involve about a half mile uphill walk pushing the stroller. I wouldn't recommend going past the bridge but there is a good view from there. There are numerous pull-outs and parking areas near wonderful viewing areas, all along the loop road. Snacks, lunch and souvenirs are available in the Yosemite Village, at the "far end" of the loop. I also think the Visitor Center is a must-visit for young families, with all the displays.

Again, just be aware and alert that the Valley will be dangerous for a toddler who gets away from you. Keep control and you can have a very nice day. If at all possible, schedule your visit in the middle of the week. Weekends at that time of year become VERY crowded. Avoid that if you can.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 8:52 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
This article in Sunset magazine has some suggestions that may work for you:
Old Mar 17, 2017, 12:09 pm

The Mariposa Grove of Big Trees, which is closed, is nowhere near the town of Mariposa so you should be fine.
The OP said "we're going to Yosemite next spring break. We'll be staying at Mariposa." which in the context of the park suggests they plan to stay at Mariposa in the park and not in the town of the same name outside the park. I didn't think that made sense, but I've heard stranger things. YMMV

Something to consider in the valley is that not only will the river be extremely high, possibly flood as it has done a couple times already this year, but that anyplace not paved will be extremely muddy.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just flipped through our Yosemite pics from that age range and it looks like wading in the river and playing with sticks was the primary activity. We did the Sugar Pine Railroad as well, we did the BBQ and singalong and it was fun.
Attached Images  
Old Mar 17, 2017, 5:52 pm

While the above is a very sweet photo, I would caution the OP that this has been a near record snow and rain year and wading in the Merced River will most definitely not be an option this spring. The falls will be booming and the river raging at that time. Maybe in September but not April.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, although there may be some smaller streams. I think we went in August. So very different.

playing with sticks will be a highlight I am sure.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 6:17 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
I agree with abmj-jr's suggestions. Plan to spend your time in the valley. There are plenty of amazing sights that require little walking (1/4 to 1/2 mile) and thus are suitable for visiting with a two year old. Make a point of seeing Yosemite Falls, Bridalveil Falls, and various meadows and bridges along the Merced River. If you go on a weekend, parking will be very tough. But once you find a space you can get around the valley on the park's very nice buses.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 6:55 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Again, just be aware and alert that the Valley will be dangerous for a toddler who gets away from you. Keep control and you can have a very nice day. If at all possible, schedule your visit in the middle of the week. Weekends at that time of year become VERY crowded. Avoid that if you can.
Thanks for the suggestion. We'll be there on wednesday & thursday.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 8:37 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Update: We arrived on wednesday, the weather was perfect. We did the lower yosemite falls trail & Bridalveil Falls. The next day, not much to do. It was raining all day and the fog covers all the sight. . We're definitely coming back and spend 3-4 days inside the park next time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.