Reload this Page >

Awaiting a Wildflower Explosion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2017, 11:22 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: oneword Emerald

In The New York Times California newsletter:

<snip>

In late February and early March, wildflowers begin to peep out on the low-lying coast, deserts and Central Valley. Over time, the blooms make an ascent up the hills, and eventually into the mountains by summer.

Here are a few parks where you can catch some of the first peak flowers of the season:
• Anza-Borrego Desert State Park, about 70 miles northeast of San Diego

<snip>

• Death Valley National Park, between Fresno and Las Vegas

<snip>

• Antelope Valley California Poppy Reserve, about 50 miles north of Los Angeles

<snip>
The crowd-pleasing poppies are likely to blossom in the next week or so.

• North Table Mountain Ecological Reserve, about five miles north of Oroville

<snip>
And with the soggy winter, you can count on an added treat: a number of Sierra-fed waterfalls.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 6:20 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Also in The Huffington Post with some spectacular images:
Old Mar 7, 2017, 6:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
My allergies tell me some of this has started already...
Old Mar 8, 2017, 10:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
This is going to be quite a year for flora, rivers and waterfalls.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
It is definitely already started in San Diego - just drive up the 15, or on the 52.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 12:49 pm
Suspended

The road out to Anza-Borrego was mobbed all this weekend.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 1:02 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
I think I'll stay in our local Sierra foothills this year. We get very nice displays after heavy rain years (and this has definitely been one of those) and the "big name" wildflower spots are going to be mobbed.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 4:17 pm

We saw pollen on cars in LA yesterday and drove up to the Santa Monica Mountains and saw beautiful green hills and a lot of flowers in places we've never seen them before. It was quite lovely.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
I might stop at Antelope Valley California Poppy Reserve SNR soon. It is a little bit off the I-5 route between NorCal and SoCal (near Lancaster and Palmdale).

Recent photos:

http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=24984

Info:

http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=627

Perhaps it's not as spectacular as Anza-Borrego Desert or other spots, but it's more accessible if you are already planning a north/south roadtrip on I-5.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 11:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
I might stop at Antelope Valley California Poppy Reserve SNR soon. It is a little bit off the I-5 route between NorCal and SoCal (near Lancaster and Palmdale).
I wouldn't quite characterize it as being "a little bit off the I-5..."

It is about a half hour drive from I-5 via the Lancaster Freeway (SR138) or an hour via the Antelope Valley Freeway (SR14). This would be my recommended route if one were to take this detour.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by TWA884
I wouldn't quite characterize it as being "a little bit off the I-5..."

It is about a half hour drive from I-5 via the Lancaster Freeway (SR138) or an hour via the Antelope Valley Freeway (SR14). This would be my recommended route if one were to take this detour.
Yes, I have looked at Google Maps too.

In the overall scheme of things, I consider a 30 or 60 minute detour off I-5 to be just a little bit.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 8:35 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
I was just checking out this site:

http://www.desertusa.com/wildflo/ca.html
Old Mar 31, 2017, 6:28 pm
Original Poster

KPCC:
Wildflowers, dormant for years, bloom across California

Excerpts:

But a "super bloom" is a term for when a mass amount of desert plants bloom at one time. In California, that happens about once in a decade in a given area. It has been occurring less frequently with the drought. Last year, the right amount of rainfall and warm temperatures produced carpets of flowers in Death Valley. So far this year, the natural show has been concentrated in the 1,000-square-mile Anza Borrego State Park that abuts Borrego Springs. It is expected to roll along through May, with different species blooming at different elevations and in different areas of the park. Anza Borrego is California's largest state park with hundreds of species of plants, including desert lilies, blazing stars and the flaming tall, spiny Ocotillo.

The blooms are attracting hungry sphinx moth caterpillars that munch through acres. The caterpillars in turn are attracting droves of Swainson hawks on their annual 6,000-mile (9,656-kilometer) migration from Argentina. "It's an amazing burst in the cycle of life in the desert that has come because of a freakish event like a super bloom," Haddock said. "It's exciting. This is going to be so huge for our economy."

This year's display has been especially stunning, experts say. The region received 6˝ inches (165 millimeters) of rain from December to February, followed by almost two weeks of 90-degree temperatures, setting the conditions for the super bloom. Five years of drought made the seeds ready to pop.

Old Apr 1, 2017, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

Old Apr 10, 2017, 6:12 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Antelope Valley

Drove there last week. Lots of poppies and other flowers. It was windy so most flowers did not really open up. It was still a worth while trip. Here are 2 images:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.