Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Shopping in CA

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2017, 5:28 am

Originally Posted by Koja78
We are currently busy planning our California two weeks roadtrip. Because of the pfeiffer bridge, this planning got a little bit more complicated. However, we would also like to include some shopping so if someone could give some suggestions for value for money shopping malls / cities for the following items:

- clothing (ha! didn't see that coming did you!)
- comics
- board games
What type of clothes for what age range?

If you're looking for kid's clothing, up to about age 12, the outlet malls can be great. I don't find them useful for shopping for myself, other than for basics like socks and sports clothes.

For board games, I usually shop Toys'R'Us (large chain of toy stores) or Target (large chain of budget department stores).
Old Mar 2, 2017, 8:08 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
(I can drive through Germany in one day.. I doubt this is the case with CA ;-p)
You can certainly drive through CA in less than a day, but it probably wouldn't be a very fun trip (Google Maps says driving the length of I-5 in CA is ~13 hours -- it occurs to me that I've been across that entire length, though not all in one trip)
Old Mar 4, 2017, 1:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Zorak
You can certainly drive through CA in less than a day, but it probably wouldn't be a very fun trip (Google Maps says driving the length of I-5 in CA is ~13 hours -- it occurs to me that I've been across that entire length, though not all in one trip)
I've done Portland, OR to San Diego in one go before (18 hours). Even with other people and driving in shifts it wasn't a fun time. SD to Sacramento is probably the most I'd drive in a day if I really had to, and even then I'd consider flying first if possible.
Old Mar 4, 2017, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by Zorak
Google maps is theory, not reality.

If a driver were able to drive at the speed limit for the entire trip and there was no construction, no accidents, no weather problems, no need to stop for gas, food or bathrooms, then maybe the trip could be 13 hours. My experience is during the summer it can take 13 hours from the Oregon border to SJC. The traffic around Sacramento can be horrendous.
Old Mar 4, 2017, 8:14 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Note: Please let's get back on topic

Please let's get back on topic, that is:
Shopping in CA
Drive times in California should be discussed where relevant the the OP's other threads.

Thank you,

TWA884
Old Mar 13, 2017, 4:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: Miles&More IHG
Had a look at ToysRUs for board game prices.. but definitely no deals there
Old Mar 13, 2017, 11:41 am

Had a look at ToysRUs for board game prices.. but definitely no deals there
What exactly are you looking for?

There's a lot of sub categories of board games, and while chain stores sell the most common ones, there's also small specialty stores with more exotic ones. Many (most?) U.S. chain stores run weekly sales, which I know isn't common in other countries, so perhaps you would benefit from looking at their ads if the price of a board game is critical.

Also, if you just want something to play while traveling, consider thrift stores. You can get a game with all the pieces but a scruffy box. Play it while you're in the U.S. then leave it behind.

And if you have more lead time, eBay and Amazon might work.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 12:24 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
If you are looking for low prices, you might want to consider spending a little time in stores like Target or Walmart. They are not high-end shopping but will have much lower prices for a lot of things and there is one or both in virtually every town and city in California, even quite small towns.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 1:47 am
Original Poster

the idea is generally to score a more expensive game with a discount in comparison to euro prices. The likes of sw rebellion, zombicide stuff, imperial assault stuff..., ..
Old Mar 14, 2017, 9:02 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
I don't usually buy board games, so I have no personal knowledge where to get the best deals. I agree with abmj-jr's recommendation of checking board game prices at Walmart and Target.

I've Googled and found the following site which should help you find discounted board games at online stores: BoardGamePrices.com. Some retailers should have brick and mortar outlets (i.e., Walmart.com); for others, you'd have to plan ahead.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 11:27 am

the idea is generally to score a more expensive game with a discount in comparison to euro prices. The likes of sw rebellion, zombicide stuff, imperial assault stuff..., ..
Ah, now I see what you're looking for. Generally I think of "board games" as Monopoly, Stratego and the like, and what you list as role playing games.

eBay currently lists 1,275 things related to Zombicide, so I would again suggest taking a look there.

At the retail level you're more likely to find those sorts of games in specialty stores, and generally they don't discount, although I can't say how their prices compare to your local stores. Most comic book stores carry fantasy/role playing games and related stuff. The relatively weak euro may work against you in shopping.

Another thing to consider is checking for any sort of gaming convention/comic book festival/show along your route.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 12:51 am
Original Poster

Yeah the dollar rate is a big setback for sure.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 12:58 am
Original Poster

@twa884: thanks for that link
Old Mar 28, 2017, 10:38 am
Original Member

Programs: AS, UA, HY, Hil, Merr
If you are looking for value, try these:

http://www.viatrading.com/southern-c...-flea-markets/
Old Jun 17, 2017, 5:00 pm

Programs: AA, USAir, UA
shopping malls / cities for the following items:

- clothing (ha! didn't see that coming did you!)
- comics
- board games
Clothing: LA Garment District
http://fashiondistrict.org/explore/retail-shopping/

Comics: Blastoff Comics ( LA's North Hollywood)
http://www.blastoffcomics.com/

Board Games: Games of Berkeley
https://www.gamesofberkeley.com/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.