Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > California
Reload this Page >

Yosemite or Death Valley? [traveling w/one disabled and one portable oxygen user]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Yosemite or Death Valley? [traveling w/one disabled and one portable oxygen user]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2017, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by Yellowjj
The good news is all they really care about is scenery. I can carry them to any mountainous part of California, tell them that's Yosemite and they are quite happy.
On the same thought, if they want to see Death Valley, just drive to any San Bernardino mountains and tell them it is Death Valley. Seriously I was looking at the pictures of Death Valley on their site... since I (​​Living in SoCal for 30+ years) want to know why so many visitors wants to go there when I don't know anyone who had been there. The pictures look just like my view from my backyard toward the mountains.. brown on top of brown all year long. It looks like a place where they would film movies like Mad Max or The Hills have Eyes.

And those little yellow/white flowers on their site's pictures.. they look exactly like those blooming on the side of the freeways every where in spring that gives me and everyone else horrible allergy LOL.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 9:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Need
On the same thought, if they want to see Death Valley, just drive to any San Bernardino mountains and tell them it is Death Valley. Seriously I was looking at the pictures of Death Valley on their site... since I (​​Living in SoCal for 30+ years) want to know why so many visitors wants to go there when I don't know anyone who had been there. The pictures look just like my view from my backyard toward the mountains.. brown on top of brown all year long. It looks like a place where they would film movies like Mad Max or The Hills have Eyes.

And those little yellow/white flowers on their site's pictures.. they look exactly like those blooming on the side of the freeways every where in spring that gives me and everyone else horrible allergy LOL.
LOL. Death Valley is more for me than them. Just to tick off on my bucket list since I'm in the area. I do agree with your assessment though.

Originally Posted by CDTraveler

The OP mentioned traveling in mid November. By early November Sequoia may have snow and cars are required to carry chains: https://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvis...er_driving.htm
Is the OP prepared to put chains on a rental vehicle?

The OP also mentioned being a party of 9. The roads into Sequoia are not fun with a large vehicle and there are size limits. Don't know what they plan to drive, but that's something to consider.

In winter weather, getting around Sequoia, especially for a person with mobility problems, is going to be much harder than Yosemite. Ever since the park restoration activities started (maybe 18 years ago?) it's become increasing more challenging to get near to the most special features in Sequoia and King's Canyon without some serious walking. Plus the altitude is 6,600 to 7,200 ft versus 4,000 ft in Yosemite Valley - more challenging for the person with oxygen concentrator.
We'll have 2 vehicles. A minivan and something else. Have no plans to put chains on any vehicle to void the insurance, so will be monitoring Caltrans road reports and weather.

In regards to Sequoia, the person carries their concentrator on a little luggage trolley with wheels, so as long as the paths to the features are relatively even, she'll won't have any problems if she walks leisurely. She does fine at the Grand Canyon which is slightly higher but has paved walkways.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 12:02 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
LOL. Death Valley is more for me than them. Just to tick off on my bucket list since I'm in the area.
The drive into Death Valley via Titus Canyon Road is simply and overwhelmingly stunning.

http://www.desertusa.com/desert-cali...us-canyon.html
Old Feb 3, 2017, 12:55 pm

In regards to Sequoia, the person carries their concentrator on a little luggage trolley with wheels, so as long as the paths to the features are relatively even, she'll won't have any problems if she walks leisurely. She does fine at the Grand Canyon which is slightly higher but has paved walkways.
Sequoia and King's Canyon are among the most rugged of the National Parks, and while there are a few efforts to make features accessible, most of the paths, especially in the autumn, are anything but even.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 1:08 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Re: accessibility in Sequoia NP.

https://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvis...essibility.htm
Old Feb 4, 2017, 8:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cblaisd
The drive into Death Valley via Titus Canyon Road is simply and overwhelmingly stunning.

http://www.desertusa.com/desert-cali...us-canyon.html
Isn't that the route they recommend a high clearance vehicle?

Sequoia and King's Canyon are among the most rugged of the National Parks, and while there are a few efforts to make features accessible, most of the paths, especially in the autumn, are anything but even.
From the link abmj-jr gave, there are quite a bit of accessible trails, so it looks quite doable.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 8:03 pm

From the link abmj-jr gave, there are quite a bit of accessible trails, so it looks quite doable.
I base my assessment of the trails on personal experience of hiking them on repeated trips to the park in different seasons, not on a website. YMMV.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 11:14 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, the park service recommends a higher clearance vehicle for Titus canyon and this time they are mostly not being overly conservative. It's largely due to the ending part of the drive which involves driving on a dry riverbed where pebbles often get kicked up and can possibly damage something on the underside of the car.

It's still doable if you drive very slowly on this part of the road but having ruined an automatic transmission here when I was young and more foolhardy, I can directly testify to the potential for damage.

Note that the first half of the drive may seem rather scary to one not used to driving up and down a mountain on a dirt road with narrow switchbacks. But it's not dangerous given reasonable care.

Is Titus Canyon worth it? Yes, yes, a thousand times, yes. It's the day drive that has it all, even a weird ghost town if you start out with a stop in Rhyolite.

Last edited by RichardInSF; Feb 12, 2017 at 11:26 pm
Old Feb 14, 2017, 10:17 am
Original Poster

I base my assessment of the trails on personal experience of hiking them on repeated trips to the park in different seasons, not on a website. YMMV.
I'm taking both your personal experience and what the park says into account. It says some wheelchair accessible trails, so I assume if it can support a wheelchair easily, it's walkable for the semi-handicapped.

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Yes, the park service recommends a higher clearance vehicle for Titus canyon and this time they are mostly not being overly conservative. It's largely due to the ending part of the drive which involves driving on a dry riverbed where pebbles often get kicked up and can possibly damage something on the underside of the car.

It's still doable if you drive very slowly on this part of the road but having ruined an automatic transmission here when I was young and more foolhardy, I can directly testify to the potential for damage.

Note that the first half of the drive may seem rather scary to one not used to driving up and down a mountain on a dirt road with narrow switchbacks. But it's not dangerous given reasonable care.

Is Titus Canyon worth it? Yes, yes, a thousand times, yes. It's the day drive that has it all, even a weird ghost town if you start out with a stop in Rhyolite.
Sounds exciting actually. Hopefully I'll be able to try it out with one of the cars being a minivan. I'll probably drive that since I know about the sharp pebbles.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 9:49 am
OTD

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Skymiles, Mileage Plus
Sounds exciting actually. Hopefully I'll be able to try it out with one of the cars being a minivan. I'll probably drive that since I know about the sharp pebbles.
I've done the Titus Canyon drive. It's possible you can do it in a minivan, but yeah, it'll be exciting.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 2:16 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Note:

Posts discussing Los Angeles freeways rush hour congestion were moved to a new thread in the Los Angeles forum:
TWA884
California and Los Angeles moderator
Old Mar 21, 2017, 2:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
LOL! I know it's probably a small boring town, but it'll just be a place to sleep. It just seems central to everything.

Yosemite - 3:30
Death Valley - 4:00 (if we do it)
Vegas - 4:00
L.A (touristy sites) - 1:30 - 2:00
PCH - 2:00

Heck, even San Jose/San Fran is only 4 hours away.

While my solution is to hotel hop, everyone else hates it and insist I find a "base" so to speak this year. While I was originally planning on staying in L.A proper, the long drive to/from Yosemite plus the traffic made me think otherwise. 6+ hours is simply too long.
Bakersfield is not really a "small town." It has a population (current estimate, just within the city limits) of 375,000.

Fresno is somewhat larger, with 500,000 within the city limits. And the city of Clovis with a border contiguous to Fresno, adds another 100,000.

Both Bakersfield and Fresno/Clovis seem to me kind of unexciting, but they have plenty of shopping and eating possibilities (mostly chains), and of course loads of reasonably priced lodging possibilities (again, mostly chains).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.