Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Places to avoid [which places should we stay away from on a family trip?]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2016, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The scariest thing in la is traffic.
Driving at night in a strange new area may be disorienting and uncomfortable but navigation should take care of that. Aside from that just use common sense.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 8:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by azepine00
The scariest thing in la is traffic.
Driving at night in a strange new area may be disorienting and uncomfortable but navigation should take care of that. Aside from that just use common sense.
Good advice. For most of us, our time in these vessels that travel at high speeds on roads is by far the most dangerous thing we do.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by Koja78
I'm still busy compiling the route but generally it would go LAX-(Death Valley)-Yosemite-SFO-Coastal Highway-LAX
(we have +-12-13 days)

Mind you we are stupid sheep as we come from a very safe place in Europe.

Thanks in advance for your advice.
The utter boringness of Fresno aside, I would simplify your route because the current one has so many hours of driving that you won't have time to see or do much.

I would also ask if you are used to mountain driving in a way that just isn't found in Belgium? Steep mountains, icy roads, possible chain requirement?Yosemite in snow is beautiful but dangerous and you will need to check frequently for road updates, like today's for SR 41:
SR 41

[IN THE CENTRAL CALIFORNIA AREA]
IS CLOSED FROM IRONWOOD AVE /IN MORRO BAY/ TO SAN GABRIEL RD /IN ATASCADERO/ (SAN LUIS OBISPO CO) - DUE TO A MUDSLIDE - MOTORISTS ARE ADVISED TO USE AN ALTERNATE ROUTE

CHAINS ARE REQUIRED ON ALL VEHICLES EXCEPT 4-WHEEL-DRIVE VEHICLES WITH SNOW TIRES ON ALL 4 WHEELS FROM 0.5 MI SOUTH OF FISH CAMP (MADERA CO) TO 0.5 MI SOUTH OF THE YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK (MARIPOSA CO)

PLEASE RESEARCH CHAIN CONTROL LOCATIONS AS CALTRANS IS CURRENTLY WORKING TO UPDATE CHAIN CONTROL DESCRIPTIONS FOR CONSISTENCY WITH INTERNET MAPPING, LIKE GOOGLE MAPS & MAPQUEST.

[YOSEMITE NAT'L PARK]
FOR YOSEMITE NAT'L PARK ROAD INFORMATION CALL 209-372-0200

At one end of the route, there's a mudslide, at the other end snow chains are required. That's my home state for you!

To help you understand the CalTrans road condition reports, get a couple large scale maps of California (generally Northern California and Southern California are separate maps) and highlight the routes you plan to take so you can easily find the route numbers and compare where problems are to your planned route.

Also, you mention family trip - does that include children? It takes a rare child not to get carsick or incredibly bored on Highway 1 from San Francisco to Los Angeles. It could easily be a 12 hour drive. Safer and simpler would be to take Highway 101 from San Francisco to Santa Barbara (a beautiful, historic town with a great beach and zoo for kids, historic Mission church for adults and lots of good restaurants) and then from there take the coastal route down to Los Angeles. This would save time and your sanity with kids in the back seat.

All in all, I would be more concerned about road conditions than meth or terrorism.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 1:42 pm

Programs: AA, USAir, UA
I'm still busy compiling the route but generally it would go LAX-(Death Valley)-Yosemite-SFO-Coastal Highway-LAX
(we have +-12-13 days)
As others have pointed out, a Death Valley trip is not likely to be a good use of your time, since before June, the nearby Eastern entrance to Yosemite will be closed due to snow. I'd substitute a visit Sequoia National Park, to see the giant trees. Incidentally, if you are planning on staying *in* Yosemite Valley, I'd book my reservations as soon as possible, since bookings can fill up 3-9 months in advance.

As to your concerns about safety in various California cities, if your itinerary is taking you mostly to tourist destination, you should have little to no problem. Yes, poor neighborhoods can carry with them some risk of crime...but the same would be true on a visit to Amsterdam or Paris. Not dressing extravagantly, wearing a lot of expensive jewelry, and flashing a lot of cash is a good rule wherever you travel.

I'd also suggest that you plan to moderate your travel. It is easy to get over ambitious about travel in California and the West. Remember that driving from Los Angeles to San Francisco is roughly the same distance as driving from Brussels to Berlin....sure you can do it in a day.... (I did the round trip 6 different weekends in November and December) ...but will you *want* to, with your family.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by dhuey
I agree with that. You can see many discussions about that sort of thing in this forum. But with that, you need to be more specific about where you're contemplating staying. Then those of us here who are familiar with the areas in question can weigh in.

For example, in San Francisco there are many dicey parts of town such as certain western portions of South of Market, the Civic Center, the Tenderloin and west of Union Square. There's been so much gentrification in S.F. in recent years that I'm not sure that what I used to know about these areas is still valid.

Yeah, still a bad idea to walk around the Tenderloin.

I agree, where do you plan to stay in these cities?
Old Jan 26, 2017, 7:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: Miles&More IHG
Originally Posted by mlshanks
Remember that driving from Los Angeles to San Francisco is roughly the same distance as driving from Brussels to Berlin....sure you can do it in a day.... (I did the round trip 6 different weekends in November and December) ...but will you *want* to, with your family.
I actually did that recently also

Anyway currently we have booked a LAX-SFO internal flight .. so plans are arriving...sleeping around LAX.. see a bit of LA en fly to SFO in the evening of the second day for some days there before continuing our trip.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by mlshanks
Remember that driving from Los Angeles to San Francisco is roughly the same distance as driving from Brussels to Berlin....sure you can do it in a day.... (I did the round trip 6 different weekends in November and December) ...but will you *want* to, with your family.
It's been several years since I've done that drive. I'll be happy if I never do it again.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 2:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dhuey
It's been several years since I've done that drive. I'll be happy if I never do it again.
BRU-BER?
Ah come one... it's quite a relaxing drive... with stretches without speed limit.

Anyway... currently looking at the area around mariposa subway station for the first evening after flight into LAX. Good idea or bad? Seems commuting to the centre via subway from there is still rather long.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 10:50 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Anyway... currently looking at the area around mariposa subway station for the first evening after flight into LAX. Good idea or bad? Seems commuting to the centre via subway from there is still rather long.
Any particular reason?

El Segundo is perfectly safe. It is a sleepy bedroom community that's best known for a huge oil refinery. The area around that Green Line station is commercial, mostly offices and light industry. In my opinion, there is nothing of interest for tourists there.

The Green Line and the Blue Line are surface/elevated rail, not subway.

If you want to stay in one of the beach cities south of LAX, you're better off staying in Manhattan Beach or Redondo Beach, which are not much farther.

I'd recommend staying near Santa Monica, where you have easier access to downtown (via the Expo Line) and other places popular with tourists.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by TWA884
If you want to stay in one of the beach cities south of LAX, you're better off staying in Manhattan Beach or Redondo Beach, which are not much farther.

I'd recommend staying near Santa Monica, where you have easier access to downtown (via the Expo Line) and other places popular with tourists.
I agree. I have in-laws in Manhattan Beach, which is a very nice beach town. Still, I think Santa Monica is more interesting for a visitor.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 2:11 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Exclamation Moderator's Note:

Please let's leave political commentary out of this forum.

The place for such discussions is OMNI/PR (access is limited to members who have been on FlyerTalk for 180 days and posted 180 messages - please do not go on posting runs as that will run afoul of FT Rule 14).

Post(s) have been deleted.

Thank you for understanding,

TWA884
Old Feb 2, 2017, 11:36 pm
Original Poster

<deleted>

Anyway.. reason for that area... cheap Hilton Garden Inn rate...
And as we fly to SFO the next evening.. might be good to leave our bags close to airport

Last edited by TWA884; Feb 3, 2017 at 8:43 am Reason: Comment on moderation
Old Feb 8, 2017, 3:14 am
Original Poster

Ended up booking hix hawthorne as Hilton price suddenly rose like an american eagle.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 4:15 pm

Skip Death Valley, it's a desert, not that particularly interesting unless you're into off roading. Instead, visit Mammoth/June Lakes. Enjoy the mountains, trout fishing, Devils Postpile, and/or possibly snow. It's relatively close by to Yosemite for a day trip up without having to worry about accommodations. Haven't been on the 395 in a while, but it should still be a scenic desert drive. Maybe visit Carson City, or Lake Tahoe while you're up there (might as well since you'll probably have to drive through that area anyways).

The only coastal drive you need to do is in between Monterey and Cambria. And if your kids are old enough, check out Disneyland in Anaheim, take a picture in front of Club 33, cause why not.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by caburrito
Skip Death Valley, it's a desert, not that particularly interesting unless you're into off roading.
There are many who disagree with you:
Originally Posted by caburrito
Instead, visit Mammoth/June Lakes. Enjoy the mountains, trout fishing, Devils Postpile, and/or possibly snow. It's relatively close by to Yosemite for a day trip up without having to worry about accommodations.
Chances that the Tioga Pass Road - Highway 120 through the park - between the Yosemite Valley and the Mammoth Lakes area being open in April of this year are nonexistent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.