Wiki Posts
Search

Help with: 14 days to plan from San Fransisco start 24th DEC 2016

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2016, 4:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue
Help with: 14 days to plan from San Fransisco start 24th DEC 2016

Booked an amazing KLM deal from Amsterdam to San Fransisco with my family. I have 2 sons (10&11). We arrive 24th of dec and I will book a hotel near the airport. But then I have to plan 14 full days. So much to see and this is the first time I am visiting in winter. I know it is to much and snow could be a problem for driving so I am looking for advice what not to do in the last week of this year and the first week next year. (We will fly out of SFO on Sunday the 8th).

Figuring out if we need to book family rooms in advance or find hotels on the go.

28th of December is the birthday of my oldest son.
New Year Eve. Where should we be?

The list for now:
- San Fransisco
- Los Angeles
- Las Vegas
- San Diego
- Grand Canyon
- Yosemite
- Big Sur
- We will NOT visit Disney or something similar as we have those to in the Netherlands

Thanks for any input!

Last edited by Meneer Guggenheimer; Oct 18, 2016 at 5:13 am
Old Oct 18, 2016, 10:05 am

That's a little ambitious for two weeks in winter. I would eliminate the out of state trips (Grand Canyon, Vegas) and just focus on California. It's a big state.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 7:12 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
I agree that your list is too ambitious for most people. Yes, it's possible to visit all those destination in 14 days, but you'll be spending a significant amount of your time just driving. That's not most people's idea of a holiday.

I suggest you divide your time roughly as:

-- At least 3 days in San Francisco
-- A day or two north of SF, in redwoods/wine country
-- 2 days driving the Central Coast past Big Sur
-- 2 or 3 days to visit Yosemite
-- A day on either end of the trip for relaxing before/after your flight.

You might have time to fit in one extra destination. For example, a couple of days in Los Angeles.

Don't sweat winter driving too much. At sea level elevations in California it will typically reach about 15C, plus or minus a few degrees, as a daytime high in the northern & central parts of the state and 20C plus/minus in the south at that time of year. Overnight lows run 5-7C below daytime highs. Snow near sea level is very, very rare.

If you visit Yosemite Valley you should be prepared for snow there. It's at 4,000 feet (1200m) elevation and will have daytime high temperatures right around 0C, so any precipitation could fall as either snow or rain.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 7:45 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Also, be aware that the highway pass over the Sierra Nevada mountains via Yosemite will in all likelihood be closed for the winter, as will the road within the park to Glacier Point.

Please check the California Department of Transportation and Yosemite road conditions sites before attempting winter mountain driving. Most rental car companies will not permit the use of tire chains on their vehicles and during certain winter conditions such chains are required by law. Best to know beforehand to avoid disappointment.

http://www.dot.ca.gov/cgi-bin/roads.cgi

https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/conditions.htm
Old Oct 27, 2016, 9:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue
Originally Posted by abmj-jr
Also, be aware that the highway pass over the Sierra Nevada mountains via Yosemite will in all likelihood be closed for the winter, as will the road within the park to Glacier Point.

Please check the California Department of Transportation and Yosemite road conditions sites before attempting winter mountain driving. Most rental car companies will not permit the use of tire chains on their vehicles and during certain winter conditions such chains are required by law. Best to know beforehand to avoid disappointment.

http://www.dot.ca.gov/cgi-bin/roads.cgi

https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/conditions.htm
Thanks for this. I think as we have to plan this holiday with kids we will sadly skip Yosemite and Kings Canyon. I do not want to drive to their to discover we can not go anywhere due to the snow and the fact we can not use snow chains.

We will visit the redwoods up north of San F.

Or can we see Sherman or is that the same snow issue?
Old Oct 27, 2016, 12:22 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
So long as you stay on the coastal side of the mountain range, you should be fine without snow issues. Two weeks is sufficient time to slowly make your way down the state from Northern California. However, one thing to consider is if you want to drive both south and then north. Taking the coastal route down slowly is nice, but not a heck of a lot to see inland going back north. Perhaps you can investigate a one-way car rental and drop off in LA or San Diego and then fly back to SF. Might be a little less strenuous
Old Oct 27, 2016, 2:16 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by Meneer Guggenheimer
Thanks for this. I think as we have to plan this holiday with kids we will sadly skip Yosemite and Kings Canyon. I do not want to drive to their to discover we can not go anywhere due to the snow and the fact we can not use snow chains.

We will visit the redwoods up north of San F.

Or can we see Sherman or is that the same snow issue?
Getting to the General Sherman Tree in Sequoia National Park requires traversing roads above 6,000' elevation. It's quite likely you will encounter snow, chain requirements, and occasional road closures. The risk is greater there than getting to Yosemite Valley, which sits at barely 4,000' elevation.

If your goal is to see redwood trees you'll have an easier time at Muir Woods just north of San Francisco. Also consider Humboldt Redwoods State Park, about 4 hours north of San Francisco via US-101. The Avenue of the Giants is a memorable drive.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 5:46 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
I should make clear that snow closures and restrictions vary widely from year to year. Over the past few years, California has been in a record drought and snowfall has been well below average. As a result, Yosemite remained accessible without chains well into January some years. This year looks to be a little wetter so that might change. That is why I recommended checking road conditions after you get here. You might be able to drive right into Yosemite or might not, we just don't know as of now. Flexible plans are a good idea for winter travel in California.

Similar potential problems exist on the Pacific Coast Highway, along the coast between Monterey and Santa Barbara. It is one of the most beautiful drives in the world but you will want to check the road conditions before setting out. There have been some terrible wildfires on part of the route this year and strong rains could cause mud slides in the burned off areas. That route is most likely going to be open and very nice during your visit but you will want to check before setting out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.