Death Valley: what should we see

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Death Valley: what should we see

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2015, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Goodness. I had already purchased our tickets to see Scotty's Castle. I just got a phone call saying there was a major flash flood that left the road to the castle buried in several feet of mud. The castle is closed until Jan 31 2016 and all tickets are being refunded.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...021-story.html
A good place to check on current conditions is the Death Valley Morning Report, prepared each morning by the NPS. Today, 10/22/15, it shows the following:

Scotty’s Castle Road: Open, to end of Titus road.
CLOSED going northward

Titus Canyon Road: Open
Old Oct 22, 2015, 11:03 am
Community Director Emerita
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Reindeerflame
A good place to check on current conditions is the Death Valley Morning Report, prepared each morning by the NPS.
Thank you. After the phone call, I had gone in search of such a source, then stopped when I saw the LA Times article.

Scotty’s Castle Road: Open, to end of Titus road.
CLOSED going northward
So this means I can't go to Ubehebe Crater? That's up near Scotty's Castle, isn't it?
Old Oct 23, 2015, 4:43 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

So this means I can't go to Ubehebe Crater? That's up near Scotty's Castle, isn't it?
If Scotty's Castle Road is closed where north of where the Titus Canyon road hits it, you are correct: you also won't be able to reach Ubehebe crater via a paved road through the park.

The alternate way to get there is not suitable for your car and anyhow, Hunter Mountain road is closed too. In fact, lots of roads are closed, you might end up attempting Titus Canyon if you go since there will be a lot not open. The good news is that in the absence of further flooding, some of these roads will re-open. I am rather surprised they refunded you for middle of November, that is still 3 weeks away!

Edited to add: I saw the pics of the situation at Scotty's itself, now I know why. It will definitely take more than a few weeks to repair all that.

Last edited by RichardInSF; Oct 23, 2015 at 4:53 pm
Old Oct 27, 2015, 11:31 am

Thank you. After the phone call, I had gone in search of such a source, then stopped when I saw the LA Times article.

It's probable that the main roads will reopen fairly soon after debris is removed, unless damage is catastrophic. A few years ago, Route 190 was closed for an extended period east of Furnace Creek because it needed to be entirely reconstructed after summer flash flood damage.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by Reindeerflame
It's probable that the main roads will reopen fairly soon after debris is removed, unless damage is catastrophic. A few years ago, Route 190 was closed for an extended period east of Furnace Creek because it needed to be entirely reconstructed after summer flash flood damage.
I happened to be visiting during that period and driving on the West Side road, got caught in a slow moving (fortunately) flash flood that came out of nowhere. Had to drive through shallow water for 12 miles or so, then closed the gates behind me and told the rangers so they could follow up. Fortunately my Land Rover is designed to be OK in up to 30" of water.

It is very strange to see a lake in the middle of Death Valley; for that reason alone, I felt privileged to be there.

Road conditions as of today don't look good at all. While Titus Canyon is open, the park service is recommending high clearance 4WD. The NPS is generally conservative but this might not be the best time to test that.

Last edited by RichardInSF; Oct 29, 2015 at 11:01 pm
Old Nov 6, 2015, 12:20 pm

Looks like the road conditions have improved. It is now possible to get to Badwater and the Ubehebe craters.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 2:52 pm
Original Poster

I just checked the park website. Closures as of last Sunday:

Areas closed until further notice include:

Scotty’s Castle Road/Bonnie Claire Road:
Approximately 5 miles of road access to
Scotty’s Castle has been destroyed. A temporary
one lane dirt road has been graded to provide
access for work crews.

Badwater Road:
South of Badwater, the
road is washed out in several places within a
10 mile stretch. Closed until further notice.

Artists Drive:
This area is closed due to mudflows
and road damage, including missing paved road.

Twenty Mule Team Canyon Road:
This dirt road was destroyed by floodwater.

West Side Road:
This area is covered by debris.
http://www.nps.gov/deva/upload/Death...d-Recovery.pdf

We haven't chosen an optimum time to visit.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 4:30 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
In yesterday's Los Angeles Times:
After historic flooding, Death Valley gears up for 'a long, hard recovery'

It's not unusual for thunderstorms to drench Death Valley this time of year, but this October was different.

The northern section of the park was hammered by back-to-back storms, followed by a powerful weather system that dropped nearly 3 inches of rain in five hours, triggering a 1,000-year flood event that battered historic structures, chewed through roadways and altered the rugged landscape with layers of mud and rocks.

It was the wettest October on record in the area, which normally receives about 4 inches of rain a year.

Hardest hit was one of the park's best-known tourist stops, the area surrounding Scotty's Castle, a rambling medieval-style villa erected in steep and narrow Grapevine Canyon in the 1920s.

<snip>

This week, federal appraisers fanned out to take a full accounting of the destruction as utility crews continued the massive job of hauling away mountains of muck from roads, utility easements and the Scotty's Castle area, which is visited annually by 120,000 people and generates about $550,000 in fees a year.

The villa suffered relatively minor damage. But the adjacent visitors center, bookstore and administrative offices were swamped with mud up to 4 feet deep. Some exterior walls are listing under the pressure of debris piled as high as door handles. An outdoor swimming pool, which was never completed in the 1920s, for the first time is filled with water, albeit muddy.

Flooding destroyed the area's water treatment facility and sewage system, swept away miles of fencing and reduced 24 power poles to splintered stumps.

<snip>

"With El Nińo approaching, it is possible that more flooding could occur in the park this winter and spring," Dierkes said.

The good news: More thunderstorms could transform this unforgiving desert of splintery rock towers, dunes and scruffy mountains into panoramic displays of spring wildflowers.

<snip>
Old Nov 11, 2015, 4:34 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
I just checked the park website. Closures as of last Sunday: ...
Wow! They got clobbered.

If they get it cleaned up by Spring there could be some historic wildflower displays and great photos but I wouldn't bet the farm it will be ready.
Old Nov 15, 2015, 7:13 pm
Original Poster

Two roads were reopened yesterday. Artists Drive is now open. Badwater Road has reopened to Badwater but is closed beyond the first 17 miles.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 8:16 am

The West Side road is used mainly for access to dirt roads heading into or over the range to the west. For a regular vehicle, West Side road being closed isn't too important.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 6:44 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Flood-damaged Scotty's Castle in Death Valley won't reopen to visitors until at least 2019

Work is planned on fixing up Scotty's Castle, the storied landmark in Death Valley National Park that's been shut since flash floods last year damaged the circa 1922 ranch house and surrounding roads.

The National Park Service estimates that the castle nicknamed for gold prospector and con man Walter E. Scott may be ready for visitors in 2019.

Flood control berms are needed, as well as repairs to the electrical, water and sewer systems and the building itself, a recent report from the agency says.

<snip>

Most roads have been cleared, and repairs to Scotty's Castle Road are expected to begin later this year. Badwater Road (closed through Jubilee Pass to Shoshone, Calif.) are to be fixed starting this month.

<snip>
Old Apr 13, 2016, 10:19 pm
Original Poster

Wow. Just wow. And here I think of lost sightseeing opportunities being because of conflict, such as Palmyra, Syria. Though, having said that, I'm glad we made it to Nepal before the earthquake. I guess it's places in the US I don't think of losing the opportunity to see.
Old May 2, 2016, 3:35 pm

Just spent 4 days out here last week. Tail end of the super bloom, but man was it gorgeous.

Absolute shame about Scotty's, but that's what the Rangers were telling us - nothing 'til 2019. If you see the pics, you'll know why.

Still some interesting weather. Came in from the Sierras and was at Aguereberry when a storm rolled through ... quickly turned to softish hail. Absolutely stunning to watch and experience.

Did Titus, but had to cut short our sight-seeing and hiking plans when some goofball in a Tesla X decided to try it.

He passed us up, as we were pulled over in Titanothere, and then at the bottom of Titus after you get through Red Pass he'd pulled over as we were coming through.

Long story short, had to carry out three in his party back to Stovepipe because he'd ruptured a tire and, wouldn't you know it, couldn't get ahold of Tesla's Roadside Services and apparently Tesla does not provide spares

They were nice enough, though, and it all worked out.

Great trip, other than that. Such a beautiful park.
Old May 8, 2016, 12:55 pm

That sounds like me many years ago. I did Titus Canyon in a low slung Pontiac Firebird and some rocks hit the transmission in the lower part, locking the car in drive. Fortunately, it was long enough ago that there were no fancy interlocks and I was able to get home. It was sure interesting starting the car up with it locked in a forward gear.

It took that incident for me to learn better. Hopefully the same is true for the Tesla folks you encountered.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.