Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Highway 1 Weather (El Nino)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2015, 7:12 am
Original Poster

Highway 1 Weather (El Nino)

Hi all, i already decided that from the 1st to 4th of march 2016 i will be driving through highway 1.. but went through some forums and weather forecast sites..

they all say the coming march will have a bad weather and some storms!!

is this thing serious should i avoid highway 1? or maybe postpone?
Old Sep 30, 2015, 7:45 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Too early to make plans around a "possible" El Nino year. We just don't know.

Even so, only the worst weather would cause me to skip that part of the trip. If it really becomes necessary, just shift east a few miles off the coast-hugging PCH to Highway 101 from Monterey and continue the drive. 101 is sheltered by mountains and makes for an easier if somewhat more boring drive. You could switch accommodations on the fly to someplace like Paso Robles and tour some missions like San Juan Bautista, San Luis Obispo or other alternate sites like the Gilroy Outlet Mall if you must miss the central coastal area.

In the event of a 100-year storm that caused problems on 101 (highly unlikely,) you could switch the drive over to Interstate 5 and miss the coastal weather completely. That would turn a beautiful drive (PCH) into just covering miles quickly with no scenery to speak of, so would be a last resort. But it would still get you there.

Nothing to panic about.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 8:00 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
What abmj-jr said.

You'll only know the weather a few days ahead of time, unless landslides, etc., shut down the PCH. Still some nice stuff to see.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 10:49 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Definitely too early right now to hit the panic button and cancel or change plans. Even if the widely anticipated El Nińo weather pattern prevails this winter, it doesn't mean rain of biblical proportions everyday. Pay attention to news a few days ahead of your drive to assess what the actual conditions will be. As noted above, only the severest weather will necessitate changing plans. Though you may choose to adjust your plans if you'd rather not drive a mountainous route on a rainy day. Keep in mind, too, that what Californians describe as "heavy" rain is considered moderate to light rainfall in many other parts of the world. In England what we call El Nińo would be called "English weather".
Old Sep 30, 2015, 11:30 pm
Original Poster

thanx for the inputs.. just to be in the safe side, will try to postpone the trip as much as i can. perhaps make it in the middle of March.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 5:53 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Meh...

They've been "predicting" an El Nińo for several years. Take it with a very large grain of salt.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 6:45 am

Programs: UA *Alliance
Originally Posted by jdmlove
thanx for the inputs.. just to be in the safe side, will try to postpone the trip as much as i can. perhaps make it in the middle of March.
It's California. Postpone your trip to avoid potential weather five months away and you might have an earthquake while you're there, perhaps there's an accident that closes the road the day you want to drive it, who knows? As others said, just stick to your original plan but be flexible. If you try to avoid one thing perhaps you run into two or three other things that you couldn't have planned for.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 7:29 am
Original Poster

valid points!! i wont worry about the weather.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 8:05 am

Just check the weather forecasts on TV or the excellent CALTRANS road conditions website and you will be fine.
Old Oct 2, 2015, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by darthbimmer
Definitely too early right now to hit the panic button and cancel or change plans. Even if the widely anticipated El Nińo weather pattern prevails this winter, it doesn't mean rain of biblical proportions everyday. Pay attention to news a few days ahead of your drive to assess what the actual conditions will be. As noted above, only the severest weather will necessitate changing plans. Though you may choose to adjust your plans if you'd rather not drive a mountainous route on a rainy day. Keep in mind, too, that what Californians describe as "heavy" rain is considered moderate to light rainfall in many other parts of the world. In England what we call El Nińo would be called "English weather".
I think I disagree somewhat. I have lived in both Oregon and California. Oregon gets a lot more rain overall, but it's pretty slow and steady for months on end. When California gets a lot of rain it tends to come all at once, several inches in a day sort of thing.
Old Oct 3, 2015, 9:37 am

As much as it pains me to say this, I hope we have the predicted El Nino this year. We really need the water. The drought is affecting the beauty of the California landscape.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 1:17 am
Original Poster

highway 1 Weahter

i suppose to drive in highway 1 from SF to LA, will start the trip on 29 feb and stay in the highway for 4 days.. monterey 2 days - MB 1 day - Santa Barbra 1 day

i checked weather websites they all saying that the above dates will be rainy? can i still drive on highway 1 ? or they will close the highway? am worrying because i did all bookings and i dont want to postpone.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 2:24 am

Highway 1 rarely closes except for things like landslides. Nobody can predict that. Right now, the weather in California is nice. I wouldn't change your plans or even worry about the weather until closer to your travel dates.

As I have posted before, there is an alternate route that will get you to all of those locations even if something bad happens on Highway 1. In the unlikely event something closed the route you could simply jump over to Highway 101 and continue the trip, adding an hour or two to the drive time. Just check the Caltrans road conditions site before starting a day's drive if you are concerned.

http://www.dot.ca.gov/cgi-bin/roads.cgi

I just looked and found that there is some ongoing road work on a few miles of Highway 1 from Ragged Point (south of Big Sur) to the San Luis Obispo county line (north of Morro Bay,) limiting traffic to one lane. That might slow you down a bit through that stretch, adding 10-20 minutes. I wouldn't think that would be much of a concern.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 3:49 am
Original Poster

what a relief! thank you. hopefully the weather stays nice.
do you think a convertible will be ok for this weather, or should i change?
Old Feb 3, 2016, 10:16 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Moderator's Note:

Originally Posted by jdmlove
do you think a convertible will be ok for this weather, or should i change?
We do not allow cross posting!

Nothing has changed since you've previously asked this question and received numerous opinions in this thread:
It is too early to predict the exact weather conditions on Highway 1 in four weeks.

If you want to revisit the convertible discussion, do so in the thread where you first asked the question. There is no need to discuss the exact same topic in numerous threads.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.