yosemite 2015

Old Jun 15, 2015, 3:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by darthbimmer
I'm not sure what you mean by moderate, but two absolutely stand-out hikes that are less strenuous than Half Dome are:

1. Upper and Lower Yosemite Falls. Approx. 7.5 miles roundtrip, elevation gain of 2700'.
Stunningly beautiful, and as you note, a much less arduous hike than Half Dome. Still a lot of work, though. Well worth it.

As it happens, I just put in today for the Half Dome cables lottery. Every day the lottery closes at 1 pm PDT for passes two days later. The lottery costs $4.50 (win or lose), and if you win, an additional $8 is billed to your card. Looks like the odds are between 10-50%, weekends being tougher to get. Lottery results emailed in the wee hours the morning before permit day.

The Half Dome hike is a full day, strenuous undertaking. You don't have to be in great physical shape, but I wouldn't recommend it to those who are physically unfit.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 1:38 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Thanks darth and dhuey, I will definitely do the Upper and Lower Yosemite Falls, I think that's a good midweek one to start at the crack of dawn. Probably the same with Vernal and Nevada Falls too.
I've started reading through the two guidebooks I have. The hike to the top of Mt Dana also looks interesting. I think in between I might rent a raft on the Merced to chill out.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 11:24 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by DAC71
I've started reading through the two guidebooks I have. The hike to the top of Mt Dana also looks interesting.
Mt. Dana is beautiful. There are many worthy hikes in Yosemite's "high country", reachable from trailheads along the Tioga Pass Road. Part of what I'd encourage you to do with a 5 day stretch in the park is to spend at least 2 days in the high country and 2 days in the valley. If you shorten your visit by trying to cram in trips to other parks you'll lose the ability to sample all that Yosemite offers.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 2:37 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Something that should be mentioned for a first timer is the altitude in parts of the Park. If you are only going to be in the Sierra for a few days, you should be aware that much of the high country is above 10,000 feet elevation above sea level. Yosemite Valley is easy to adjust to, being around 4,000 feet, but the trail-heads along the Tioga Pass Road start at over 8,000 and go up. Likewise, the Yosemite Falls trail starts on the Valley floor and goes up over 2,700 feet if you go all the way to the top. The hike from the Valley floor to Glacier Point is less than 5 miles but gains 3,200 feet, making it a real grunt.

Folks who have little experience with higher altitude hiking can be surprised if all they look at is the distance on a map. Steepness and altitude can make what appears to be an easy walk into something else entirely. Mt. Dana is a case in point. I've been up there, as have most old Sierra hands. It is beautiful and a rewarding climb. It also tops out at over 13,000 feet, which is serious altitude for someone who hasn't done that before or has just driven up from sea level.

The above is not to discourage anyone from enjoying the wonderful back country of Yosemite - as well as our other parks like Sequoia and Kings Canyon just to the south. It is just a word to the wise that high altitude hiking should be taken seriously and prepared for. Fitness is important but so is a little acclimation. Visit the Park and surrounding areas, get used to the moderate elevation gain from SFO or LAX to Yosemite. Spend a day or two at 4,000 feet, then one at 8,000, then after a few days go ahead and try Mt. Dana or some of the bigger domes above Tuolumne Meadows. It'll be more fun with a little acclimatization.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 12:04 pm

We won the Half Dome cables lottery last night! My daughter and I are heading up this afternoon for the hike tomorrow. This will be my daughter's first time on this hike; it's my third, but the last time I did it was about 20 years ago. Man, I'm getting old.

We've each put in for the lottery every day for the past week, except for Saturday. I was the alternate for her ticket; she was my alternate. Finally we hit last night.

I'm not sure, but I think that the larger your group size, the lower your odds. My guess is that the group loses unless everyone in the group wins individually. The lottery closes each day at 1 pm for hikes two days later. Results show up around 9 pm when you log in -- the email notification takes longer.

Best of luck to you if you play this lottery.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just got back form a quick trip to Yosemite. It is HOT and dry. Dryer than I have ever seen it this early in the year. Bring lots of water. Didn't get a drop on me at mist falls, and this time of year I should have. :-(
Old Jul 11, 2015, 4:12 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Am looking at Clouds Rest also. Is it fair to say it's one of if not the best view in the park?

It's a long hike out there and probably the limit of what I'd want to do in a single day.

I think I'll try and do three day hikes, Clouds Rest, Upper Falls and Vernal Falls, mixed in with some drives out to other park locations. Any suggestions on further points afield? I'm happy to drive 90 mins each way and interested in what recommendations people have. It would be nice to see some wildlife and any really scenic locations that are not too far from the road
Old Jul 11, 2015, 8:47 am

Do you see the snow covered mountain to the left of Half Dome? That is Cloud's Rest. It is a VERY LONG day hike from Yosemite Valley. When I did the climb years ago, we started from Tenaya Lake on the Tioga Pass road. I would recommend that route.

Vernal Falls is a short walk, partly on a paved trail and then a quick stint on the wet Mist Trail, which is done every day by many visitors. If the Falls are full, take rain gear. If you are in good condition, you can continue up the same trail, past Vernal, to Nevada Fall. That is more of a back country experience but longer and more strenuous. Above Vernal Fall, there is a lovely vernal pool in the river that just begs out for the hiker to hop the fence and cool the feet. Please resist any impulse along those lines. Nearly every year we lose a few tourists who ignore the signs and get swept over the falls. There is no surviving that.

For further afield, I'd recommend the drive up to Tuolumne Meadows, on the Tioga Pass Road. A day hike through the meadows to one or more of the big domes is impressive and quite beautiful. We just had a big storm roll through and they had to close that road due to snow but it has re-opened as of last info. There may be some remnant snow on the higher points when you are there and weather has been unsettled so check conditions before heading off alone.

There are some very nice short day hikes on the Glacier Point Road. Taft Point is quite easily reachable and puts one on an overhang, overlooking Yosemite Valley. A bit further along the GP road is Washburn Point, which is right on the road and gives nice views up Little Yosemite Valley, behind Half Dome. At the end of the road is Glacier Point, which offers short walks around the point to various nice viewpoints.

For a nice, non-hiking day, you could drive down to Wawona and visit the Pioneer Center for a look at early life in the area. Another nice few hours, easily done from Wawona, would be the shuttle bus to the Mariposa Grove of big trees. If you have never seen the Giant Sequoias, you really should stop in for a visit.

Last edited by abmj-jr; Jul 11, 2015 at 9:09 am
Old Jul 12, 2015, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You will not get wet on the mist trail this year, Mariposa Grove is closed.
Old Jul 12, 2015, 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
You will not get wet on the mist trail this year, Mariposa Grove is closed.
Whups! You are right. I forgot about that restoration closure.

Mist trail will depend on weather immediately before and during visit. That is why I said "if the falls are full." After the recent storms, the falls did bulk up a bit for a few days. In general, you are correct. Barring a storm, the trail will be dry this summer, along with most of the falls. Another casualty of the on-going drought.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 4:14 pm

Yosemite: Last Minute Bookings

Here it is Wednesday, August 5, and I just booked a room at Yosemite Lodge for the busy weekend August 15-16. It's an example of how room availability tends to open up even during peak season as the "7-day-in-advance of arrival cancel without penalty" date arrives. For the last month I've been checking but no space has been available, and then suddenly it was.

Booking early, as in 6 months out, is one option, but then the other option is just to wait until 10 days or so in advance of arrival.

For the record, a larger party must have relinquished several rooms, as there was still space available after my room was booked.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by Reindeerflame
It's an example of how room availability tends to open up even during peak season as the "7-day-in-advance of arrival cancel without penalty" date arrives.
Yes indeed. The hours before the cancellation deadline are exactly when you want to be checking for "last-minute" availability. At least with regard to the Ahwahnee, I've found that the call center has availability that does not show up online.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 11:51 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by Reindeerflame
Booking early, as in 6 months out, is one option, but then the other option is just to wait until 10 days or so in advance of arrival.
That's definitely a strategy when you have the flexibility to make such plans a little over a week out. But even so, it's hit-or-miss. Several times this summer I've checked on Thursday for rooms at the lodge the following week Fri/Sat and have found it's still slim pickings.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 9:01 am
Community Director Emerita

I read in an FT thread that a certain hike required entering a lottery. Was it Half Dome? And is that the only hike that requires a permit? Are there any restrictions on the hike from Glacier Point to the falls?
Old Aug 14, 2015, 9:27 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I read in an FT thread that a certain hike required entering a lottery. Was it Half Dome? And is that the only hike that requires a permit? Are there any restrictions on the hike from Glacier Point to the falls?
Half Dome Permits for Day Hikers

Permits to hike to the top of Half Dome are required seven days per week when the cables are up (as called for in the Half Dome Plan in order to protect wilderness character, reduce crowding, protect natural and cultural resources, and improve safety).

A maximum of 300 hikers are allowed (about 225 day hikers and 75 backpackers) each day on the Half Dome Trail beyond the base of the subdome.

Permits are distributed by lottery via Recreation.gov, with one preseason lottery with an application period in March and and daily lotteries during the hiking season.

<snip>

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.