FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Caltrans road conditions:
Big Sur visitors information on businesses and services currently open:
Print Wikipost

Pacific Coast Highway - CA Route 1 between SF & LA

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2014, 2:05 pm

My quick reaction is Santa Cruz (Day 1). There's a big boardwalk (amusement park, midway, roller coaster...and ice cream) and the town still has an active hippie community (1960s/70s-style, even if the current "hippies" are mostly age 20).

Downtown (Pacific Ave) is safe and family-friendly. If you want more adventurous/edgy, the town has that too.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 2:40 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

Highway 1 from SF to LA

Thanks a lot! Definitely looks like a cool place to stop. Since it is also more or less in the middle between San Francisco and Carmel, I guess we will make it a lunch stop as well as looking around.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 3:19 pm
Original Member

We're outdoors people, and out in the bay area/Monterey a lot.

Our favorites include Cowell Redwoods State Park (just north of Santa Cruz), and Point Lobos State Park (fantastic park just south of Carmel on the coast ) .

Review google images for both and you will see what they are like.

Monterey -- have to have some French-fried artichoke hearts on the wharf (best junk food ), and the Aquarium should not be missed.

Pacific Grove -- we go Kayaking here with the sea otters near Lover's point park.

Below Carmel, stop in at Nepenthe restaurant/gift shop on the Big Sur coast for that California groovy vibe. Great view over the water while you are eating. Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park and Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park nearby have great redwoods also. (I'd stop at one of the Redwood parks, not recommending you do all of them, as I think you would find it a little redundant, and have only limited time.)

Pismo beach is worth checking out -- the sand dunes are great. Ventana Grill is a nice restaurant there with great views.

If you had more time, I would recommend you go inland for Pinnacles National Park, but given your length of trip I don't think you can really fit it in.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 5:28 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Plt
Lunch at the Moss Landing Cafe (about 30 miles north of Monterey), the freshest fish you can find. Also many sea otters and sea lions in the harbor.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 5:40 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Djlawman
...Pacific Grove -- we go Kayaking here with the sea otters near Lover's point park.
And afterwards, eat at The Fishwife restaurant.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 7:13 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Phils Fish Market in Moss Landing.
After lunch walk in Elkhorn Slough.
The Monterey Bay Aquarium (good place to eat too).
The Carmel Beach.
Cielo (the restaurant at Ventana and not cheap) if it's not socked in.
Downtown Santa Barbara and the Botanical Garden.

Last edited by MADPhil; Jun 17, 2014 at 7:15 pm Reason: Added Elkhorn Slough.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 1:58 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Djlawman
We're outdoors people, and out in the bay area/Monterey a lot.

Our favorites include Cowell Redwoods State Park (just north of Santa Cruz), and Point Lobos State Park (fantastic park just south of Carmel on the coast ) .

Review google images for both and you will see what they are like.

Monterey -- have to have some French-fried artichoke hearts on the wharf (best junk food ), and the Aquarium should not be missed.

Pacific Grove -- we go Kayaking here with the sea otters near Lover's point park.

Below Carmel, stop in at Nepenthe restaurant/gift shop on the Big Sur coast for that California groovy vibe. Great view over the water while you are eating. Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park and Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park nearby have great redwoods also. (I'd stop at one of the Redwood parks, not recommending you do all of them, as I think you would find it a little redundant, and have only limited time.)

Pismo beach is worth checking out -- the sand dunes are great. Ventana Grill is a nice restaurant there with great views.

If you had more time, I would recommend you go inland for Pinnacles National Park, but given your length of trip I don't think you can really fit it in.
Thank you so much. We will definitely make a stop at one of the redwood parks and go for a walk. Any of those mentioned you would recommend over the others taking into consideration that we will only make a stop for an hour or so? (nice shorter walks, easy accessible, extra impressive trees or views to see etc?)

Nepenthe restaurant/gift shop looks like it is well worth a stop for coffee or breakfast and a great view!

Artichoke hearts on the wharf sounds delicious as well. I love artichokes but have never eaten them like this I think.

The restaurant Ventana Grill at Pismo Beach looks very good as well and we will certainly stop there for lunch on the 2nd day.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 1:59 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by frontrangeFF
Lunch at the Moss Landing Cafe (about 30 miles north of Monterey), the freshest fish you can find. Also many sea otters and sea lions in the harbor.
Originally Posted by cblaisd
And afterwards, eat at The Fishwife restaurant.
Wil be hard to make a choice!!! Thanks to both of you.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 2:07 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by MADPhil
Phils Fish Market in Moss Landing.
After lunch walk in Elkhorn Slough.
The Monterey Bay Aquarium (good place to eat too).
The Carmel Beach.
Cielo (the restaurant at Ventana and not cheap) if it's not socked in.
Downtown Santa Barbara and the Botanical Garden.
Great suggestions - thanks a lot to you as well.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 2:08 am
Aman Contributor Badge

I am very happy about your answers. Thanks a lot. Would have meant lots of planning, reading and googling to find these places without you!

I have many tips now for day 1 and day 2. Any ideas for day 3 (Santa Barbara to LA)??
Old Jun 18, 2014, 2:46 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Driving south from Big Sur, you will drop down from the mountains to the shore. You might enjoy a stop at the Piedras Blancas Elephant Seal viewing area. There are hundreds of these giant sea mammals in residence and the wooden walk-ways get you pretty close for photos. They smell pretty bad but you will probably never have a chance to see something like that as close in the wild. There are interpretive signs and often a volunteer docent who can give educational talks.

As you drive south toward San Simeon, keep an eye to the east (land side) for glimpses of the famous Hearst Castle, sitting on top of a hill. With your short time, I wouldn't recommend taking one of the tours as they eat up a lot of time.

One place I haven't seen mentioned is Cayucos, about half-way between Big Sur and San Luis Obispo, several miles south of San Simeon. It is a bustling, scenic little beach-side town with a nice pier to walk out on. There is a takeout place for lunch right at the entrance to the pier for food you can carry out and eat over the water. Although I like their food, my favorite lunch place in Cayucos is The Smokehouse on 'D' Street for really great barbecue. The place doesn't look like much, rather like a converted barn with rustic wooden picnic tables and food served in baskets, but the barbecued meats are to die for. Try the beef or pork sandwich or get a full platter if you are really hungry.

In Morro Bay, the Great American Fish Company does a pretty good job with seafood, but there are a number of quite good seafood places along the Embarcadero, right on the waterfront. Even if you don't stop in Morro Bay, it is worth the short detour to drive along the waterfront by the boat basin for views of the iconic Morro Rock, which dominates the scenery in this part of the coast. You will see it rising out of the sea well before you get to Morro Bay.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 5:53 am

Programs: Delta Kryptonium
Hogs Breath Inn in Carmel to eat - fun place, owned by Clint Eastwood. Also, make sure you take the 17 Mile Drive in Monterey - beautiful.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 7:07 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by abmj-jr
Driving south from Big Sur, you will drop down from the mountains to the shore. You might enjoy a stop at the Piedras Blancas Elephant Seal viewing area. There are hundreds of these giant sea mammals in residence and the wooden walk-ways get you pretty close for photos. They smell pretty bad but you will probably never have a chance to see something like that as close in the wild. There are interpretive signs and often a volunteer docent who can give educational talks.

As you drive south toward San Simeon, keep an eye to the east (land side) for glimpses of the famous Hearst Castle, sitting on top of a hill. With your short time, I wouldn't recommend taking one of the tours as they eat up a lot of time.

One place I haven't seen mentioned is Cayucos, about half-way between Big Sur and San Luis Obispo, several miles south of San Simeon. It is a bustling, scenic little beach-side town with a nice pier to walk out on. There is a takeout place for lunch right at the entrance to the pier for food you can carry out and eat over the water. Although I like their food, my favorite lunch place in Cayucos is The Smokehouse on 'D' Street for really great barbecue. The place doesn't look like much, rather like a converted barn with rustic wooden picnic tables and food served in baskets, but the barbecued meats are to die for. Try the beef or pork sandwich or get a full platter if you are really hungry.

In Morro Bay, the Great American Fish Company does a pretty good job with seafood, but there are a number of quite good seafood places along the Embarcadero, right on the waterfront. Even if you don't stop in Morro Bay, it is worth the short detour to drive along the waterfront by the boat basin for views of the iconic Morro Rock, which dominates the scenery in this part of the coast. You will see it rising out of the sea well before you get to Morro Bay.
Lots of great suggestions. I am just so happy with this tread and all your answers! Looking very much forward to our trip. Definitely need to stop in Morro Bay to take a picture of a road sign as morro means fun in Norwegian.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 7:07 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by rubesl
Hogs Breath Inn in Carmel to eat - fun place, owned by Clint Eastwood. Also, make sure you take the 17 Mile Drive in Monterey - beautiful.
Thanks for the suggestions. We will definitely take the 17 mile Drive - and Hogs Breath sounds like a real fun place for dinner at night.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 9:11 am

Even though it is not on HWY 1, I would visit Solvang too if you have time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.