Last edit by: TWA884
Caltrans road conditions:
Big Sur visitors information on businesses and services currently open:
Print Wikipost

Pacific Coast Highway - CA Route 1 between SF & LA

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2017, 8:57 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
I recognize the discussion here is about many things: a road trip, various models of cars, and experiences renting cars. For those who are interested in reading or discussing tips about driving California Highway 1 I suggest visiting

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/calif...d-threads.html

and related threads in the California forum.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 10:26 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Originally Posted by darthbimmer
I recognize the discussion here is about many things: a road trip, various models of cars, and experiences renting cars. For those who are interested in reading or discussing tips about driving California Highway 1 I suggest visiting

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/calif...d-threads.html

and related threads in the California forum.

Moderator Action: Yes, this thread has quite a range of topics, and might be more suitable for Omni, but the OP is not Omni enabled. Since it seems to be settling on the actual drive up the road, I will relocate it to the California forum. Please follow it as it relocates. Thanks
Old Jan 18, 2017, 11:02 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Moderator's Note:

Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego

Moderator Action: Yes, this thread has quite a range of topics, and might be more suitable for Omni, but the OP is not Omni enabled. Since it seems to be settling on the actual drive up the road, I will relocate it to the California forum. Please follow it as it relocates. Thanks
Where it is now merged into the Pacific Coast Highway - California Highway 1 between SF and LA [consolidated threads].

Please confine future discussion of muscle cars to OMNI.

Thank you,

TWA884
Moderator, California forum
Old Jan 18, 2017, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by CDTraveler
Just an FYI...

Nobody born north of Santa Barbara calls it the PCH. It's Highway 1. Say "PCH" in San Francisco and the natives won't have clue what you're talking about.
I resemble that remark...

Originally Posted by Lkeade
There is no way to guarantee that you will get what you reserve. I have had two occasions when I reserved a convertible and it was not available when I got to the rental counter. Both times I was told that the person who had it before me did not return it on schedule. All you can do is reserve and hope for the best. (both times with Avis)
I'm most familiar with Hertz, so I don't know as much about Avis or the other guys, but with Hertz, it is entirely possible to reserve a specific model via their Adrenaline Collection (or Prestige Collection, Green Collection, Dream Collection, etc.). However, you'll pay for the privilege. Adrenaline Collection rates are much higher than normal car rates (even normal convertible rates).

California locations stock a lot of convertibles (because a lot of people have in mind to do the same exact thing the OP does), so my MO is to reserve something cheap and negotiate an upgrade at the counter to something on the lot that you want to drive. In my experience renting at SAN and other large CA rental locations, there is no shortage of Camaro SS convertibles, Mustang GT convertibles, and other "muscle car" ones--and a lazy agent may let you have one for a very small premium over your reserved rate. A few years ago, I got a Mustang GT coupe for $5/day more than my reserved premium car, and the same location once gave me a Camaro SS convertible at no extra charge.

That said, this is your honeymoon, and you may not want to risk playing games at the counter. Reserving a specific model is probably the way to go if you can afford it.

The week I had the Camaro SS convertible, I decided to do Cambria to Monterey on Highway 1 (I'd never been north of Limekiln State Park, even though I grew up in Templeton). Sure, the SS's V8 doesn't get nearly the workout there that it can on other roads, but it sure is fun to accelerate going around those curves and feel the G-forces. I was alone, though...I'm not sure you'd want to attempt the same thing with your brand-new SO in the right seat.

FYI there's some related "best car" suggestions over in this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/renta...rental-us.html
Old Jan 18, 2017, 2:27 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by CDTraveler
Nobody born north of Santa Barbara calls it the PCH. It's Highway 1. Say "PCH" in San Francisco and the natives won't have clue what you're talking about.
Some old timers refer to it as the road now called California Highway 1
Old Jan 18, 2017, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by MADPhil
Some old timers refer to it as the road now called California Highway 1
Hey, I did half the driving practice for my first license on that road, and I'm not that old.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 1:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
On the road again

I have found myself with an open-jaw to close up - I have exactly two weeks in December, between landing at SFO and taking off from SAN - and after I got so much great advice on FT for my last Western road trip, I thought I would ask again.

I'm going to rent an SUV and drive down the Pacific coast - I did the inland places, like Death Valley, etc a couple of months ago, and it was fantastic, but I'm looking for something new now.

I'm a 39yo male, travelling alone and not interested in celeb-spotting in Hollywood, or anything like that. I'm looking more for relaxed, chilled out places with nice ocean/forest scenery and good food.

I've done some research and it looks like about 550 miles of driving, so probably 3 or 4 wheel turning days out of 14, at a very relaxed pace. I saw most of SF on my last trip, so I'm happy to hit the road straight after I land.

At the moment, I'm looking at Monterey, Big Sur, Santa Barbara and San Diego.

Can anyone suggest anything I'm missing, or anything not to bother with, etc.?

Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 1:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by The_Bouncer
I have found myself with an open-jaw to close up - I have exactly two weeks in December, between landing at SFO and taking off from SAN - and after I got so much great advice on FT for my last Western road trip, I thought I would ask again.

I'm going to rent an SUV and drive down the Pacific coast - I did the inland places, like Death Valley, etc a couple of months ago, and it was fantastic, but I'm looking for something new now.

I'm a 39yo male, travelling alone and not interested in celeb-spotting in Hollywood, or anything like that. I'm looking more for relaxed, chilled out places with nice ocean/forest scenery and good food.

I've done some research and it looks like about 550 miles of driving, so probably 3 or 4 wheel turning days out of 14, at a very relaxed pace. I saw most of SF on my last trip, so I'm happy to hit the road straight after I land.

Thanks in advance.
We haven't been there ina few years but my wife and I are huge fans of Ventana in the Big Sur area. Either staying at the hotel or just for a meal. They have an outside dining area with spectacular views from high above the coast. Some of the rooms also have ocean views. Great food. To us, one of the most relaxing places in the world, it's also a spa.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 3:59 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Check out Point Piedras Blancas, where thousands of elephant seals crowd the beach that time of year, Cambria, Cayucos and Morro Bay. The Hearst Castle state historical monument is also in that area.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 4:25 pm

Thanks in advance.
Personally I wouldn't bother with the SUV. On Highway 1, I prefer a smaller vehicle.

What weeks in December will you be in California? That would shape where I would go. For example, Monterey and Carmel get insanely crowded over the Christmas holidays, and I suspect Santa Barbara does, too.

For somebody wanting chill and forest scenery, I'd suggest the Santa Cruz area. Lots of hiking in the area, sometimes whale watching, eclectic food scene, not likely to be as crowded over the Christmas holidays.

Also keep in mind that December weather is unpredictable. You might have lovely, sunny days or you might get rain so heavy there are mud slides (like this past December) and road closures. If you want to drive the coast roads, you may need to be flexible.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 4:49 pm
Suspended

Some great ideas here. Santa Cruz in particular sounds great.

I will be travelling from December 4 to 18.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 4:56 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Read back through this thread. There are dozens of suggestions.

Briefly, the whole range of Highway 1 from San Francisco down to just north of San Luis Obispo is dotted with parks. Stop at as many as you have time for. You'll see coastal bluffs, elephant seals, waterfalls, high ridges with 360 degree views, and more.

And ditch the SUV. Unless it's a compact model or you really need space for 3-4 people. A large, ponderous vehicle is no joy on narrow, winding Hwy 1.
Old Feb 11, 2017, 1:33 pm
Suspended

And ditch the SUV. Unless it's a compact model or you really need space for 3-4 people. A large, ponderous vehicle is no joy on narrow, winding Hwy 1.
Quite a few people seem to be saying this. I'm doing the trip alone and I travel light, but I just don't like small cars.

However, it doesn't have to be an SUV. I'm now looking at something like the Avis Intermediate category (I don't think I can handle two weeks in a small compact). Would this work out ok for most places?

Also, should I book accommodation beforehand or just wing it? On my last western road trip I prebooked about 2/3 of my nights and found it a little restrictive. How busy/pricey does accommodation get at the last minute?
Old Feb 11, 2017, 2:45 pm

Quite a few people seem to be saying this. I'm doing the trip alone and I travel light, but I just don't like small cars.

However, it doesn't have to be an SUV. I'm now looking at something like the Avis Intermediate category (I don't think I can handle two weeks in a small compact). Would this work out ok for most places?
A midsize sedan should handle Hwy 1 just fine, you certainly don't have to go down as far as a compact. People are cautioning against SUV's because the lanes on Hwy 1 are very narrow in some places, much of the road is very windy and handling a large vehicle on that road, especially if you don't usually drive one, can be both difficult and seriously unfun.

Also, should I book accommodation beforehand or just wing it? On my last western road trip I prebooked about 2/3 of my nights and found it a little restrictive. How busy/pricey does accommodation get at the last minute?
If you are in the window after Thanksgivings and before Christmas break for schools, it usually is not too busy. Do check ahead for places having special holiday festivals on the weekends, as that could results in less availability and/or higher prices. If there is anyplace you want to be on a specific night - like a festival - I'd book that in advance, and also first and last nights.
Old Feb 11, 2017, 2:55 pm
Suspended

Thanks for the advice. I land at SFO on 12/04 and depart from SAN on 12/18. I have booked the last 3 nights in San Diego. I might just wing the rest.

As for the car, I think I'll probably go for intermediate, which is about as small as I can put up with. I'm quite used to handling large vehicles, but with the advice on the narrow lanes I think I might compromise this time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.