Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Yosemite 2014

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2014, 8:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Agree with the above. A lot of what you might do depends on what kinds of things you like to do and if you are strong walkers but the conditions in early September are likely to be great for a visit to Yosemite.

The closest fire to Yosemite has been completely contained and will be out before September. The other fire in the area is also nearing containment and the smokiness is clearing up considerably. Assuming no new fires start up before your visit, the air will be clear and clean and the views beautiful. The waterfall flows are down but there have been a few recent storms in the high country which have renewed some of them, at least to an extent. We are all hoping for more storms as we head into early fall.

The big advantage to waiting until early September is that many schools will have started back up and family vacations will have ended. There will still be crowds but nothing like June/July/August.

If you are even moderate walkers, be sure to take the trail from Happy Isles (in the Valley) up to see Vernal Fall, which is on the main Merced River and still impressive even this late in the year. If you are strong hikers, you can continue past Vernal to Nevada Fall, which is higher and even more impressive but that is a several hour hike. The Mist Trail from the base of Vernal Fall to the top of the fall and onward toward Nevada Fall is a grand experience but be sure to prepare for rain. The trail is right beside the fall and the heavy mist is like rain in places. Even if you don't want to walk that much, or get wet, the trail as far as the first bridge is paved and easy and the view of Vernal Fall from the bridge is quite nice. If you go to the top of Vernal Fall, do enjoy the jaw-dropping view but please comply with the signs near the deceptively calm pool above the fall. Every year we lose a few idiots who climb over the fence to "get a better photo."

My most recent walk up to Bridalveil Fall leads me to recommend skipping it. It really isn't a "fall" right now, just a wet smear on the rocks.

The Valley will be beautiful, particularly in early morning. If time allows, a 2 or 3 hour detour up to Tuolumne Meadows will give you a quick peek into the Sierra high country. Many visitors stick to the lower Valley and miss the beauty of the high country. If you don't want to drive up, there are shuttle buses that make the trip.

If you enter or leave the Park via the south (Highway 41) entrance, you may wish to budget an hour or two to see the Giant Sequoia trees in the Mariposa Grove, which is quite near the south entrance station.

At this point, all of the various entrances are again open so you can enter the park from any direction.

I'd say go for it. You can't miss with a visit to Yosemite.

Last edited by abmj-jr; Aug 17, 2014 at 9:02 pm
Old Aug 18, 2014, 4:09 pm

Programs: AA, BA, Alaska Air
Thank you darthbimmer, RichardInSF and abmj-jr. The plan is definitely 'ON' now
Old Aug 19, 2014, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

Well, another unwelcome update, darn it.

We have a new wildfire threatening the community of Oakhurst, which is on the main southern (Highway 41) route to Yosemite from Fresno. As of today, the fire is not threatening the Park but has caused the closure of Highway 41 near Oakhurst so that route to the Park is unavailable. You can still get into Yosemite from the east via Tioga Pass or from the north and west via Highways 120 and 140 from Merced and the Bay Area. No reports of smoke impacts up in the Park as yet.

If new reports of any impacts on the Park come in I'll try to post here.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

Additional update as of 8-20-14:

The Junction Fire near Oakhurst has been mostly contained and should be fully contained within another day or two. Cooler weather and a lack of much wind have made this fire easier to deal with than the earlier ones. The air tanker drops were very effective this time. Highway 41 has been reopened for limited traffic and should be in full service before the weekend. Likewise the hotels and other businesses that had been closed in Oakhurst are reopening for business and should be in full operation by the end of the week. Sadly, a number of homes and businesses near the outskirts of town have been lost so they are still dealing with some displaced people.

The fire never got close to Yosemite and from reports I have seen didn't really impact air quality up there. The smoke mostly rolled downhill and impacted us down in the San Joaquin Valley but little of it went uphill into the higher mountains.

I think I'll run up the hill tomorrow or Friday to see for myself but it looks like I can again recommend visiting.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 11:47 pm
Original Poster

08-22-2014

Latest update. I ran up the hill to Yosemite late this afternoon for some photos of the sunset light on Half Dome.

The Junction Fire near Oakhurst is out although there are still a few fire crews in town to watch for flare-ups or rekindles. The damage is mostly out of sight of the highway but a few damaged or destroyed structures and blackened vegetation are visible as you drive through. The community has suffered but tourists are starting to return and folks from nearby communities are helping out and really jumping in to patronize local businesses. As I came through this evening, I noticed the parking areas of several restaurants completely full of customers' vehicles and the eateries were booming.

Highway 41 to Yosemite is open and the south entrance was again busy with visitors coming and going. I didn't notice any smoke in the air at all. Up at Glacier Point the air was crystal clear and visibility looked to be 20+ miles.

The photo was taken just before sunset from Washburn Point, near Glacier Point.

Old Aug 24, 2014, 11:54 pm
Community Director Emerita

I'm thinking about a visit to Yosemite in 2015. I haven't been there for decades, so am starting from no knowledge at all.

We'd want to stay at the Ahwahnee which is available most dates right now. Do you have a preference between a cottage and a room in the main lodge? Are there differences in lodge rooms? I only see one type. We stayed at the Big Faithful Lodge at Yellowstone last year and our room was truly subpar. Yes, I was certainly happy I stayed in the park, but I certainly wished for a better room. How is the Ahwahnee?

For someone who is interesting in enjoying gorgeous scenery with only mild hikes, how many nights is enough? One? two? Are cars allowed throughout the park, or is it essential to use park provided transportation?

Is there a certain window of time that is ideal, after most of the snow has melted but before the rush of summer travelers?

We would be flying in and out of Fresno, since AS has nonstop service from SAN.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 12:30 am
Original Poster

I hope someone else will have some input regarding the Ahwahnee. I have eaten there but never stayed there so can't offer an opinion regarding cottage versus lodge. The Ahwahnee is considered the premier accommodation inside the Park and is certainly historic and "rustic-grand." An alternative might be the Wawona Hotel, which is of the same era but not nearly so grand and not located in Yosemite Valley, being clear down near the south entrance about 40 minutes from the Valley. The Yosemite Lodge, which is in the Valley, is also nice but not in the same league as the Ahwahnee. Another nice accommodation is the Tenaya Lodge near Fish Camp but that is actually OUTSIDE the Park and would require driving (or busing) into the Park each day. There is a lot to be said for waking up to the sunrise shining on the cliffs and peaks right above you!

I would recommend two nights to see everything although one would certainly let you get a taste of most things in the lower part of the Park. With two nights, you could spend a full day in and around the Valley and perhaps drive up to Tuolumne Meadows without rushing your visit. The second night would put you in good position to enjoy another morning in the Valley and still stop off along the way back to Fresno at Pioneer Village (near the Wawona Hotel) or the Mariposa Grove of big trees.

You can drive most places in the Park but there are some routes and sites that are bus-only. Frankly, the shuttle trams are just a lot more convenient and offer several routes that cover all major sites with hop-on/hop-off convenience. You can even ride a shuttle up to Tuolumne or down to Mariposa Grove with returns to the Ahwahnee. The map the ranger will give you when you go through the entrance station will identify all car, bus and foot routes. The little newspaper they will also give you lists shuttle routes and stops.

My favorite time to visit is late April or May because the waterfalls are booming. That may be too early for a visit to Tuolumne Meadows, though, depending on the snowfall that year. The Park attracts a lot of visitors year-round but the busiest times tend to be early June through Labor Day, pretty much coinciding with school vacations. If you can arrange it, mid-week is much better than weekends at any time of year.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 12:48 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
We'd want to stay at the Ahwahnee which is available most dates right now. Do you have a preference between a cottage and a room in the main lodge? Are there differences in lodge rooms? I only see one type. We stayed at the Big Faithful Lodge at Yellowstone last year and our room was truly subpar. Yes, I was certainly happy I stayed in the park, but I certainly wished for a better room. How is the Ahwahnee?
The Ahwahnee is nice though still limited in luxury, and you pay dearly for the location. I prefer staying in the main lodge because the cottages feel rather bland in comparison to me. The great thing about staying in the hotel is the location, truly spectacular being in the valley without having to drive for an hour. And they do provide good service. Two nights would be a good stay, any additional nights might be better spent closer to other areas of the park and maybe somewhere cheaper. But I've spent quite some time in the park already....
Old Aug 25, 2014, 6:31 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
I haven't stayed at the Ahwahnee before-- always too expensive and too hard to book. I have stayed at the Yosemite Lodge a few times. It's cheaper and also centrally located in the valley. Bear in mind that while the Ahwahnee is much more luxurious, it is a 1920s-era rustic luxury. You will not find a day spa or fancy in-room electronics there.

Two nights is a reasonable length of time to visit the valley without dipping in to the more strenuous physical activities. Make sure you're allowing yourself reasonable sightseeing time the first and last day. Without that you might consider adding a third night.

As for when to visit, Yosemite has something different to offer in each season. For your preference of seeing bursting waterfalls without too much snow and before the summer rush, plan on April or May. Toward the earlier end of that range you'll probably see more seasonal falls due to the spring melt; toward the later end the most delicate falls have usually dried up but there's a much better chance that the road to Glacier Point-- a very worthy side trip-- will have opened.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 9:03 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've stayed at the Ahwahnee a few times. Contrary to RTW1, I prefer the cottages over the main hotel -- the rooms in the main hotel are so small that they feel claustrophobic to me.

As everyone has said, the Ahwahnee is not even close to being a luxury hotel in either physical plant or service, but it really doesn't matter, if you can afford it, this is where you must stay.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 9:00 am

I have stayed at the Ahwahnee a few years ago. The common areas (lobby, grounds) look amazing but you don't have to be a guest to go visit. The staff spent most of the time cleaning and polishing everything so they look picture perfect. The rooms are nothing to talk about. They are old, small, rustic (very rustic) and very cold... (if you go in the winter). The bed is by the window and freezing air comes in thru the gap in the night. You kind of pay for the experience and not for the luxury. I don't think I will ever go back again. I would rather stay somewhere else cheaper and just go there for lunch or dinner and look around.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 3:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
I've stayed at the Ahwahnee many times -- it's sometimes the Thanksgiving meeting spot for my extended family. I love the place. I agree with most but not all of the above comments.

Cold rooms: I've never experienced that, Need -- sorry you did. I can't recall hearing anyone else complain of it. I think you just had some bad luck.

Cottages vs. rooms: I guess this is subjective, but my feeling is that you're not really staying at the Ahwanee if you're in a cottage.

Luxury: I agree that this is a not a luxury property like a Four Seasons, Peninsula, Ritz-Carlton, etc. It's not trying to be that, though. It's a gorgeous grand lodge in a spectacular setting. The rooms are comfortable but not opulent.

Restaurants: the cafeteria over at Yosemite Lodge is pretty good and has reasonable prices. The dining room at the Ahwanee is also very good, but it's a bit pricey. Maybe have one dinner there (reservation recommended).

Bottom line: the Ahwanee is a very special lodge. If you can swing it financially, stay there. For anyone unable to do that, maybe arrive in the Great Room late afternoon, read a book near the fire, walk around the property and have dinner in the main dining room. Dress up a bit. They no longer require jackets for men (they did a few years ago), but it's still common to see half or more of the men wearing jackets at dinner.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 12:57 pm

Another fire at Yosemite. They just don't get a break.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by dhuey

Cold rooms: I've never experienced that, Need -- sorry you did. I can't recall hearing anyone else complain of it. I think you just had some bad luck.
Yeah maybe we got the worst rooms of the house. A group of us booked the Yosemite Lodge but they were overbooked and we were given rooms at the Ahwanee. The rooms really don't look like the ones in the picture. Maybe they are like servant quarters or something.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Need
Another fire at Yosemite. They just don't get a break.
Yes, it started up this weekend. So far, it looks to be confined to a relatively small area in the back country, behind Half Dome and Cloud's Rest at the head of Little Yosemite Valley. Some of the trails in the vicinity are closed and three of the High Sierra Camps (hike-in camps) have been evacuated. The most exciting part of the evacuation was for some folks who got caught on top of Half Dome. They all came down via helicopter.

The fire itself seems to be pretty small and should be controlled quickly if they can catch a break with the weather. We should know more in a day or two.

At this point, visits to the Valley are probably still worth doing. The fire is nowhere near there and the smoke plume seems to be going away to the northeast. That could change if the wind shifts to blow into the Valley. I'll try to keep an eye on it for any folks who might be headed this way this week. At this point, I don't see problems except for those wishing to hike up the Mist Trail into Little Yosemite Valley or those with permits to hike Half Dome, both of which trails are closed.

Last edited by abmj-jr; Sep 8, 2014 at 3:01 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.