Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Connecting between terminals: SNA vs. SJC

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2014, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Connecting between terminals: SNA vs. SJC

If using AA miles to fly from Chicago to Seattle, two choices involve American the first leg and Alaska the second, switching at either SNA or SJC. While the latter would involve slightly less travel time, and I've heard SJC is a very nice airport, it appears we'd have to switch between Terminal A and B. At SNA, just walk down the terminal in the same building, right? In either case we'd have an hour and 20 minutes to an hour and 30 (assuming flights are on time, of course). Going through SNA would give us time to sleep in in Chicago (1:30 p.m. vs. 8:30 a.m. departure time for SJC).

I've used SNA but never for a connection. Have never been to SJC.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 9:28 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by SoCal
If using AA miles to fly from Chicago to Seattle, two choices involve American the first leg and Alaska the second, switching at either SNA or SJC. While the latter would involve slightly less travel time, and I've heard SJC is a very nice airport, it appears we'd have to switch between Terminal A and B. At SNA, just walk down the terminal in the same building, right? In either case we'd have an hour and 20 minutes to an hour and 30 (assuming flights are on time, of course). Going through SNA would give us time to sleep in in Chicago (1:30 p.m. vs. 8:30 a.m. departure time for SJC).

I've used SNA but never for a connection. Have never been to SJC.
At both airports the terminals are connected airside. After renovations the two airports are comparable in terms of creature comforts. I recommend you pick on the basis of schedule convenience.

Last edited by Moderator2; Apr 10, 2014 at 6:53 am
Old Apr 11, 2014, 8:22 am
Original Poster

One more option that just appeared is changing from AA to AS at SLC. Smaller terminal used by the two, it appears, and we'd get to SEA a bit earlier (leaving just 15 mins. earlier than the SJC flight). In this case we'd be in an Embraer-175 (operated by Republic Airlines) on the first leg, vs. a 737-800. Still first class.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 5:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
One small thing to consider if you have an Admirals Club membership... SNA actually has one. SJC closed theirs a couple of years ago.

You also can't beat more sleep.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.