Community
Wiki Posts
Search

July LA travel advice

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2014, 3:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Consultette
Where are the friends/family going to be located? I am trying to get a sense of where your "base" will be before passing along recommendations.
nope, we won't have a "base". friends stay in LA, have family in San Jose. So its gonna be a drive up either way, just depends on where we stop!

and again, thanks to all for the recommendations!

yosemite is a off though.. and we're worried that the national parks will be too hot in July
Old Feb 18, 2014, 5:32 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Those are some awesome starting and end points with a lot of options. In that case, Santa Barbara is a must-see. You can also see Half Moon Bay in the San Jose area.

I really like taking my cousins to Solvang - your son might be a bit young to REALLY enjoy it but you can look up the city and see if it is something you may be interested in. I would imagine that with a toddler you may want lots of options to stop, see things, and get out of the car. In that case a nice drive up PCH - with perhaps an overnight or two along the way - would be up your alley.

Yosemite will probably be in the mid-80s in July. Depending on your heat tolerance it might be a little warm or it might be ok. It should be about comparable to what you'd see in July in Anaheim (where Disneyland is). It has been years since I have been there, but I think your son might be a bit young to really find it interesting.

San Francisco is very close to San Jose and a wonderful area. Lots of interesting sights for adults (some of which your boy may not "understand") with lots of colors, trolleys and things for him to like staring at. It will be cold at night in that area.

If heat is a concern you are right to not want to go inland. I used to live in the inland empire and it could get above 115 degrees Fahrenheit in July.

You are going to have a great trip!
Old Feb 18, 2014, 9:45 am

If you decided to drive south from LA, Legoland is great for 2 years old. I think my son enjoyed Legoland much more than Disneyland when he was 2.

And July is really not that hot in Southern California. It usually the hottest toward middle of August. And if you drive north among the coast, you actually may need jackets. The weather is funny up north and it could get down to 50's at night with wind and it feels like 40's.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 8:59 pm
Original Poster

those are all awesome suggestions, thank you! okay, so we're probably quite set on driving up (and down) the PCH, up to San Jose. Not sure if we'll really go all the way to San Francisco as we just did SF and Napa and surrounds quite recently, but the drive up sounds great!

And thanks for the legoland suggestion too, thats not bad! Maybe we'll go south a little then north, or something.

Really appreciate it!
Old Feb 23, 2014, 4:58 pm

Programs: AA, USAir, UA
Originally Posted by SWCPHX
Goleta, don't bother.
Nonsense... Goleta is O.K. (...and mostly better than Santa Maria...)

You're thinking of Isla Vista (the student ghetto of UCSB), which frankly one would have to go looking for, since it's well away from the highway. And technically *not* part of Goleta, since when they incorporated the town, they deliberately excluded I.V.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.