Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 8, 2015, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Sacramento International Airport - SMF / KSMF
Sacramento County, California

N.B. There is a discussion and preview thread about SMF Terminal B here.

GOING TO SMF

DRIVING TO SMF VIA PRIVATE / RENTED VEHICLE

SMF is 10 miles northwest of Sacramento immediately north of Interstate 5 (connects San Diego to Seattle). (Note: there is an on-airport gasoline / petrol station for those renting from SMF.)

From San Francisco or Lake Tahoe, use I-80 to I-5 northbound (Woodland and Seattle). From Stockton use I-5 (or US 99 connecting to I-5 via I-80 westbound) northbound. From I-5 north the airport is 10 miles "southbound" (east) of Woodland. The airport is 0.5 miles north of the Interstate 5 on Airport Boulevard.

For GPS, use the address 6900 Airport Boulevard, Sacramento, CA 95837

SMF / KSMF / Sacramento International Airport website: link

Exiting north from I-5, proceed according to the map:

GETTING TO AND FROM TERMINAL "A"

Follow signage and keep to Airport Boulevard East - a one way multi-lane road running counterclockwise will take you to an area you can stop and drop off or pick up passengers. Parking or stopping for any length of time to wait is prohibited; the Sheriffs are quite quick to get you to move on. A free cellular / mobile phone lot at the airport entry, west side, is the best place to stop to wait for arriving passengers to call drivers.

GETTING TO AND FROM TERMINAL "B"

Folow signage and keep to Airport Boulevard West - the new terminal includes a two level roadway, running clockwise. The upper level is for departures and the lower level serves arriving passengers and baggage claim. Passengers departing or arriving on Southwest will find it easiest to use the West side; those using all other airlines will find it easier using the East side.

GETTING AROUND SMF

Courtesy shuttle busses travel four routes: between terminals, to parking lots (daily and economy are separate) and to the rental car center. These are all accessible. One can walk or use a wheelchair between terminals, which are connected via the parking garage - but note that though the garage has a ceiling, it is not enclosed fully.

SECURITY at SMF / Sacramento International Airport

Currently, there are Priority lines at SMF - Terminal A; at Terminal B it is on your far left, separate from the non-priority queue entries. There are now TSA PreCheck queues at both SMF terminals (October 17 2013); the SMF website does offer indications of how long it is taking to transit security.

Terminal A has PreCheck,

Terminal B:
-Along the far left wall is the known crewmember checkpoint
-In the middle are two lines: PreCheck, which splits off to the left, and general boarding, which splits off to the right.
-Along the far right wall is the Premier/First Class/Business Select/etc line.

For international arrivals there are now Global Entry kiosks.

PARKING

Parking varies considerably, from the parking garage to "economy" lots; best thing for current information is to visit the SMF parking map and click on the appropriate garage / lot number for current rates.

"Cell phone lot" / waiting area: This area offers free parking for a short period of time for occupied vehicles whose occupants are waiting for passengers, who can call them when they arrive. This allows comfortable waiting within five minutes of any terminal, without causing congestion (and inviting a ticket from the officers patrolling the arrivals area, where waiting is not permitted).

TRANSPORTATION to/from SMF / Sacramento International Airport

TAXIS (SITOA airport authorized taxis at SMF) in Sacramento charge
  • $3 flag drop, $2.50 for each additional mile
  • Rate to wait is $25 per hour
  • One way SMF to Sacramento downtown is $33.00
  • Round-trip between SMF and downtown Sacramento is $66.00
  • Waiting is charged at $25 hourly
  • Seniors and military personnel are eligible for a 20% discount
  • Uber is $20 SMF - downtown
  • SMF - Roseville approx. $80
  • See SMF TaxiFareFinder for more fares

To / from the Arden area, 12 miles, approximately:
  • Bus Service 17.00 USD
  • Limousine 75.00 USD
  • SuperShuttle (Executive Premier Limo Inc.)
  • Rental Car 40.00 USD
  • Taxi 50.00 USD
    These prices are approximate.

From downtown, 10 miles, approximately:
  • YoloBus Bus Service $2.00 USD
  • Limousine 85.00 USD
  • SuperShuttle (Executive Premier Limo Inc.)
  • Taxi 35.00 USD
  • Uber, $20.00 USD

SHUTTLE SERVICE

SuperShuttle serves Sacramento International Airport via Executive Premier Limo Inc. The options offered are non-stop shuttle vans, not shared rides, and black car service.

BUS

Sacramento, Davis and Woodland, Yolo County

Yolo County Transportation District's Yolobus offers two routes, 42A (clockwise) and 42B (counterclockwise) that connect SMF to Sacramento, Davis and Woodland (clockwise) and the reverse. Service is approximately hourly beginning at 5:24 AM and ending at 10:22 PM at SMF. PDF schedules etc. here, and fares and passes information is here.

These also offer the option of connecting with AMTRAK's California Capitol services to the SF Bay area at the Davis or Sacramento AMTRAK stations. Check here and here for California Capitol schedules, ticket prices, etc.

Sacramento Regional Transit District serves Sacramento International Airport as of January, 2020 via SacRT’s Airport Express Bus, Route 142, offering direct service between downtown Sacramento and Terminals A and B. Route 142 operates every 60 minutes, seven days a week. The current operating hours are between 5:15am (first downtown departure) and 10:33pm (last airport departure). They hope to restore the service to every 30 minutes on August 28, 2022. The fare is $2.50 for a single ride, $1.25 for discounted eligible riders and free for students in grades TK through 12.

RENTAL CARS and FUEL

All rental car companies at Sacramento International Airport are located at the central rental car terminal. Take the Rental Car Terminal Shuttle busses for acccess to all on-airport rental car agencies listed:

Rental Car Agencies
  • Advance Rent A Car ** (916) 442-1362
  • Alamo (800) 327-9633
  • Avis (916) 922-5601
  • Budget (800) 763-2999
  • Dollar (800) 800-4000
  • Enterprise (800) 736-8227
  • Hertz (800) 654-3131
  • National (800) 227-7366
  • Payless Car Rental ** (800) 729-5377

* *Off airport fleet

Gasoline Station

There is an ARCO station near the entrance to the airport, #22 on the map, to top up your rental vehicle.

AIRPORT LOUNGES AT SMF

Each terminal has an Escape Lounge, accessible by membership, $43.10 per person fee or American Express Platinum Card members (who may guest in up to two others)

LODGING NEAR SMF

The Host Airport Hotel at Sacramento International Airport (across from the old Terminal B complex) closed July 31, 2008, to make way for the new Terminal B construction. A new 135 room Hyatt Place was to be built adjacent to the parking garage, but that may not happen. In the meantime:

Several hotels do provide complimentary shuttle services to / from SMF airport.

Hotels providing shuttle services include
  • Fairfield Inn & Suites – 10 miles
  • Four Points by Sheraton – 8 miles
  • Hampton Inn – 7 miles (N. Natomas)
  • Hampton Inn - Woodland – 10 miles
  • Holiday Inn Express – 7 miles (N. Natomas)
  • Hilton Garden Inn S. Natomas – 11 miles (my go-to hotel, free overnight and ~up to 10 days parking, free hourly airport shuttle)
  • Homewood Suites by Hilton - 7 miles (N. Natomas)
  • La Quinta Inn – 11 miles
  • Quality Inn Natomas – 12 miles
  • Ramada Limited – 11 miles
  • Vagabond Executive – 12 miles

OTHER AIRPORT SERVICES

Lost and Found"The Sacramento County Sheriff’s Department, Airport Division manages the lost and found program at Sacramento International Airport. Please visit the Lost & Found Web page to report your lost item. Please call (916) 874.0701 and leave a detailed message concerning your lost object. The Sheriffs frequently listen to these messages and will return your call if they have the object. If the item has been lost on board an aircraft, please contact your airline directly."

Paging "Paging is managed by the Sacramento International Airport Communications Center. Please call (916) 929.5411 and press the appropriate prompt key to reach the operator."

WiFi / Wireless Internet - FlySacramento is the net name you should use. You will be required to watch a brief advert for free WiFi."Sacramento International Airport has free wireless Internet (WiFi) service throughout the indoor, public areas of the airport. SMF’s Wi-Fi network has 4 T1 connection, which provides users with speeds of up to 1.5 Mbps. The Wi-Fi 802.11b/g technology allows for speeds up to 54 Mbps, but throughput is governed by the speed at which the device is connected."

Contact Information:

Sacramento International Airport
6900 Airport Blvd.
Sacramento, CA 95837
(916) 929.5411
air-market <at> saccounty.net

Pilot Information link

Airport FAQ link

Typical Nonstop Destinations from SMF will change) (Use SMF Flight Search for more information)Atlanta, GA
Baltimore, MD
Boise, ID
Burbank, CA
Charlotte, NC
Chicago (Midway), IL
Chicago (O’Hare), IL
Dallas, TX
Denver, CO
Guadalajara, Mexico
Honolulu, HI
Houston (Intercontinental), TX
Las Vegas, NV
Long Beach, CA
Los Angeles, CA
Los Cabos, Mexico (2017)
Maui (Kahului), HI
Mexico City, Mexico
Minneapolis, MN
New York (JFK), NY
Ontario, CA
Orange County, CA
Phoenix, AZ
Portland, OR
Salt Lake City, UT
San Diego, CA
San Francisco, CA
Seattle, WA
Washington, D.C.

Please use SMF Flight Search to find nonstop and direct flights to your destination or return.

Print Wikipost

Sacramento International Airport / SMF - the definitive thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2016, 11:55 am

Programs: AM, UA, AA
Just used the GE kiosk. I think I was the only one in my fligh that used it
15 min from deplaning to being in rental car
Old Sep 19, 2016, 10:57 pm

Why did they design this airport so horribly? You have a shuttle to the rental car terminal. In a tiny airport you should just be able to walk. Instead there is a gigantic parking structure in the middle, which apparently cannot accomodate rental car agencies.
SNA and SJC are similarly-sized and much more convenient (SJC depending which terminal)
Old Oct 2, 2016, 12:07 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
They have a LOT of land on which to build/expand. SNA/SJC sits on property that is much more valuable. Rather than having to build a new rental car facility in a few years they decided to overshoot existing traffic numbers. It is really only a bother if you are short of time.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by bigguyinpasadena
They have a LOT of land on which to build/expand. SNA/SJC sits on property that is much more valuable. Rather than having to build a new rental car facility in a few years they decided to overshoot existing traffic numbers. It is really only a bother if you are short of time.
It used to be awful when they had the tiny buses. Now they seem to have invested in larger buses which probably helps. However, in my limited recent experience the bus frequencies prior to 6am and after 9pm are still insufficient as to be passenger friendly.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 11:55 am

Southwest just announced they'll be starting nonstop service between SMF-SLC 1x daily in March 2017. Just checked the schedule and flights start at $59. The flights times aren't the most convenient as they're both early afternoon flights, but I'll take it.

I'm very excited for this route, as I fly this route more often than any other and usually end up paying $250-400 each way on DL. I've actually emailed Southwest and requested this route so I'm glad to see them adding it. With the fares and load factors I've seen on DL on the same route, they shouldn't have an issue filling the plane.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Big4Flyer
Southwest just announced they'll be starting nonstop service between SMF-SLC 1x daily in March 2017. Just checked the schedule and flights start at $59. The flights times aren't the most convenient as they're both early afternoon flights, but I'll take it.

I'm very excited for this route, as I fly this route more often than any other and usually end up paying $250-400 each way on DL. I've actually emailed Southwest and requested this route so I'm glad to see them adding it. With the fares and load factors I've seen on DL on the same route, they shouldn't have an issue filling the plane.
This is great news. I often go to RNO to avoid SMF fares, or connect on AS in Boise to keep the cost of personal trips to family in Utah more manageable.

Older news but SMF-BWI was also a very nice addition by WN that I intend to utilize heavily in the future.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 12:36 pm

Interesting read in the Sacramento Bee regarding the upcoming lease expirations that could allow the airport to reduce lease expenses to the airlines, which would in turn attract more carriers.

http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/article119307238.html

The article specifically mentions attracting airlines like Spirit, Frontier, and Allegiant. I'm not sure Spirit service would be likely, as there's plenty of other west coast focus cities that would probably be more profitable than SMF that they would expand into first. Allegiant is possible, since they occasionally fly into mid-size cities like Sacramento from LAS, although then they'd directly up against WN, and they tend to avoid competition.

Frontier seems the most likely, as they fly into other Sacramento sized airports like Bismarck, Colorado Springs, and Des Moines. I'm not sure I'd fly any of them, but it sure would be nice to have the competition and options.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Big4Flyer
Interesting read in the Sacramento Bee regarding the upcoming lease expirations that could allow the airport to reduce lease expenses to the airlines, which would in turn attract more carriers.

http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/article119307238.html

The article specifically mentions attracting airlines like Spirit, Frontier, and Allegiant. I'm not sure Spirit service would be likely, as there's plenty of other west coast focus cities that would probably be more profitable than SMF that they would expand into first. Allegiant is possible, since they occasionally fly into mid-size cities like Sacramento from LAS, although then they'd directly up against WN, and they tend to avoid competition.

Frontier seems the most likely, as they fly into other Sacramento sized airports like Bismarck, Colorado Springs, and Des Moines. I'm not sure I'd fly any of them, but it sure would be nice to have the competition and options.
Agreed on competition especially from F9 who the majors might be more likely to price match on.

Does G4 still fly to Stockton from Vegas and Mesa?
Old Dec 9, 2016, 3:12 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I read the article and am hoping.

Even an expansion by existing carriers would be useful. I'm happy AA has reinstated the ORD service TW began.

And with an airport hotel returning...
Old Dec 14, 2016, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
Agreed on competition especially from F9 who the majors might be more likely to price match on.

Does G4 still fly to Stockton from Vegas and Mesa?
Not sure about Mesa, but I know they fly from Vegas and were flying to SAN from Stockton. Actually drove down there to fly them a little while about when they had flights to Vegas for $23 and WN from SMF was $130. Deboarding out of the tail of the MD-80 (90?) was quite a treat, very unique experience.
Old Dec 15, 2016, 10:16 am

Programs: AA Aluminum, WN B+
Alaska starting weekly non-stop service from SMF to Los Cabos in June 2017:

http://www.kcra.com/article/need-a-v...o-cabo/8503618

Hopefully this means a larger international footprint for SMF

Last edited by Lost; Dec 15, 2016 at 10:25 am
Old Dec 15, 2016, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Lost
Alaska starting weekly non-stop service from SMF to Los Cabos in June 2017:

http://www.kcra.com/article/need-a-v...o-cabo/8503618

Hopefully this means a larger international footprint for SMF
Yes!!!! 👍👍👍
Old Jan 19, 2017, 3:48 pm

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
SMF massage gone?

The chair massage place was gone last time I went through in November. Coming back or just gone?
Old Jan 19, 2017, 6:15 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by abaheti
The chair massage place was gone last time I went through in November. Coming back or just gone?
From their website:
Old Jan 19, 2017, 7:36 pm

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by TWA884
From their website:
My wife just walked in the door from SMF on Southwest and says it is gone still. :-( More expensive, but better for you than killing time in the bar... :-)

Last edited by abaheti; Jan 19, 2017 at 7:47 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.