Wiki Posts
Search

O.C. Mobile / Manufactured Homes

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2011, 3:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold (Million Miler), FI Gold, Bonvoy Titanium
O.C. Mobile / Manufactured Homes

I've been living in the US nearly 2 years and will move back to London in June. I have a house in DFW that I have no reason to keep, so it's for sale. I like the idea of having some sort of property in the US, but in a place that I'd actually like to visit for holidays.

I noticed when visiting SNA recently that they have these cheap "mobile / manufactured homes" in places like Huntington Beach and other beach towns between there and Laguna Beach. Would it be insane to buy one? I assume that normally a trailer park would be dangerous and/or insalubrious, but over in the OC, maybe it's not so bad. Dunno. Or should I focus on shelling out more and trying to get a bargain condo?

If this post is not appropriate for FT then go ahead and delete.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 3:49 pm

Programs: QF Silver
There are many trailer parks in OC which are nice, safe areas. If you're over 50, check out the senior-only parks with a guard gate. Obviously I don't know your situation, but to me I sure wouldn't want to own something like that without a specific purpose. You have space rental, insurance, utilities which you'll be paying for without the benefit of use. Same reason I don't own a time share...instead of paying for the privilege of going back to the same place each year I prefer the freedom of spending my money to go wherever I want each year.

That said, OC is a great place to live but do also consider a condo as we're rife with foreclosures.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 6:45 am

Are you thinking of living in one that's permanently anchored, or moving around periodically? If I remember correctly, mobile homes depreciate rather than gain value like a home would. Have you ever spent much time in a mobile home (we don't call them trailers anymore, right)? Maybe you can find one to rent and see how you like it-- both the mobile home and the general area where it is. Plus you can talk with neighbors.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 8:30 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
the only trailer park (yes, they're trailers, not manufactured homes if they have an axle and wheels) I'd live in is in Laguna Beach across PCH from the Montage Resort up on the hill with ocean views.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.