Reload this Page >

Road trip...zoos (and aquariums?)

Old Jul 31, 2010, 3:35 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: AS, UA, HY, Hil, Merr

We do zoos all over the world. Live in Escondido to be near San Diego Wild Animal Park (WAP) and SD Zoo (members). Also members of the Sequoia Zoo (for Friends of the Zoo, FOTZ, benefits).

Will be driving to Las Vegas in late September/Early October for a couple free nights at the Luxor, won on our last visit. It is my wife's birthday, and we are taking the long way home to celebrate (note this is not everyone's idea of a great trip!).

Anyone have any comments on the following "zoos" (note I have gone to the websites for each). Also interested in any additional zoos we should consider (on our route, even if not a FOTZ member). Saw a post recommending wineries in the San Ynez area (we will do that too). Dining is not a big deal with us, and we are likely to stay at modest hotels (to get points) and/or with our points with perhaps one or two exceptions.

In Las Vegas there are two "zoos" not part of a hotel, the LV Zoo and the Springs Preserve. We have been to both. The former was really depressing and the latter we will not return to until the Nevada State Museum is completed in 2011 (on the same site).

Coming home we will be taking 15 to 58 across to 99 and head North on 99 to Fresno Chaffee Zoo. Then on to Micke Grove Zoo in Lodi. Next is the Sacramento Zoo. Then the Oakland zoo. Then the SF Aquarium of the Bay. Then the SF Zoo (not FOTZ). Next would be the Coyote Point Museum in San Mateo, except it is out of the way for our visiting some friends, and appears to be quite aligned with children. Visiting friends in Montara and then in Cambria. Next zoo in Charles Paddock Zoo in Atascadero (we have been here before, but like the neighborhood caring look of the place, and therefore what to help support it). Next is some winery visits and a trip to the Santa Barbara Zoo. The final zoo visit is the LA Zoo, a disappointment in the past, but hopefully it is better cared for now? I know I have passed some modest and famous aquariums (been to them, done that) and also the Santa Ana Zoo, which we recently visited.

Our trip is just taking shape, and will last between 2 and 4 week, depending on what we add, or subtract.
Old Aug 1, 2010, 4:07 am

Programs: AA, USAir, UA
If you are in the LA area on a weekend, take the trip out to Moorpark, and visit America's Teaching Zoo, the Moorpark College's Exotic Animal Training and Management (EATM) Program. I had an ex-girlfriend go through the program...a one of a kind experience for those seeking employment in the field of zoos and exotic animal management.
Old Aug 1, 2010, 12:36 pm

The Roos-N-More "zoo" is more a reserve/sanctuary than a regular zoo, but is interesting. Open to visitors on limited days. About 45 mins-hr. northeast of Vegas. You can easily combine it with a trip to Valley of Fire State Park. http://www.roosnmore.com/
Old Aug 1, 2010, 3:43 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Thank you mlshanks. We are a bit familiar with Moorpark, but were unaware of the College's wild animal training! I read thru the website. The entry and completion of the program appears very demanding. While we have seen many of the show types offered, we will definitely keep this option on our check it out list, once we get our schedule together. Entry to watch the students performs, along with their "wild animal actors", is on weekends, 11-5PM and is only $5 for adults. To insure they are open when you wish to visit, and confirm the shows available and times, call 805-378-1441. Moorpark College is located at 7075 Campus Road, near the intersection of the 23 and 118. This is one of the two such training zoo/colleges in the USA. The other one is located at Santa Fe College and zoo in Gainesville, Fl.

Thank you skoenig. We were unaware of this facility in Moapa, NV, about 60 miles or so from Las Vegas, at exit 90 off the 15. This private facility has many more animals that just roos. The operation is run by vet Valerie Holt and her family. They are open from 8am to 1pm, but not on a daily basis. The web site or calling 702-467-3585 is the best way to check out their exact location and if they are open when one is interested in visiting. Note they are near the Valley of Fire. We have been to the Valley of Fire before and highly recommend it! See our trip report. Our time in Las Vegas is limited, but we will call closer to our trip to see if they are open one of those dates.
Old Aug 1, 2010, 9:26 pm

Programs: UA *Alliance
This is off of the 5 fwy that you could potentially visit on your way back to LA from Northern California. A big cat sanctuary in Acton.

www.shambala.org
Old Aug 2, 2010, 11:54 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Thank you SWCPHX. Shambala Preserve is open to the public one weekend a month for a three hour tour (from 11:30) for a reserved tour (661-268-0380). The cost is $50, a bit steep? They have lions, tigers, servals, leopards and lynx. As you say they are located in Acton, Ca 93510 (6867 Soledad Canyon Rd) They also open for groups and have an overnight program, thou that is $3000. WOW. They have room on Sunday, Oct 17th, so we will see if that holds up and it fits our timetable.

A similar facility, Out of Africa, was located in close to Phoenix. They have since greatly expanded to a property in Camp Verde, AZ (90 minutes north of Phoenix, and 30 minutes south of Sedona. Not only do they have big cats, but bears, wolves, reptiles, hoof stock, emu, etc. A shuttle bus takes you on a tour. You can do a walkabout. They have a bus safari, which includes feeding the giraffe and zebra. The price is $36 Adults and $20 children. It took us about 5 hours+ to visit, not counting eating. Discounts on the web, and for locals, seniors, groups, etc.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 9:31 pm

Midway between Fresno (about a 30 minute drive away) and Kings Canyon NP is Project Survival's Sierra Cat Haven. They are focused on conservation and education (not rescue) of cheetahs, jaguars, leopards, bobcats, tigers, etc.
http://www.cathaven.com

If it works for your schedule there is a twilight tour event on October 2, you could visit both the Chaffee Zoo and the Cat Haven that weekend.

FYI, as you drive Highway 99 north of Fresno at the San Joaquin River bridge look at the bluff to the west. That is the future home of an aquarium currently in fundraising.
http://www.aquariusaquarium.org/
Old Aug 9, 2010, 12:02 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Thank you FATflyer. We are going to Sequoia NP and then Kings Canyon, on the way to Fresno from our overnight in Visalia (the long way..he, he). It will be past Oct 2.

Great website. Tours available all year long. More limited after Oct 1, closed Tue-Wed, Last tour 3pm (1 hr before close). Cost for seniors is only $7.50. Not a rescue facility, but a education/ambassador site on behalf of wild cats in nature. Expanded days and hours in the Summer. Directions provided.

We will seek to add this in to our return from Kings Canyon to Fresno. We are staying over one night at the NP, so not sure if we will have enough time.

Some might wonder what happened to the zoo/aquarium trip. It has been expanded to add several NP, NM, historic sites, some wine stops, too. We canned the month of Sept and are beginning in Oct. We also chopped off SFO.
Old Aug 18, 2010, 11:53 am

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
We took the grandkids to the aquarium at Mandalay Bay on our last trip to Vegas. Compared with places like Sea World or the Monterey Bay Aquarium, it's not much, but it was worth an hour or 2.
Old Aug 18, 2010, 12:47 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by ranles
Thank you FATflyer. We are going to Sequoia NP and then Kings Canyon, on the way to Fresno from our overnight in Visalia (the long way..he, he). It will be past Oct 2. ..
I am assuming this means you will be transiting from Sequoia NP to Kings Canyon NP via the Generals Highway, which connects the two. If that is not the plan, please do consider it.
Old Aug 18, 2010, 4:57 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

abmj-jr

Thanks, yes we will be, and in addition, we will be staying one night at Stone Creek Lodge.

We will spend the night in Visalia (from Las Vegas), departing for our first day in the park facility about 9am. The drive to the park in about an hour. The drive to Mineral King and back is about 3 hours, plus a walk up to the view site!? (so I am told). While a few issues make it difficult for me to "hike" much, I can stroll around some, but slow and limited. It is another hour over to the Giant Forest Museum, Big Trees Trail and on to General Sherman Tree (if we can get a Lower Sherman parking pass.). Stopping along the way for pictures and viewing, should take the better part of day one. Lodgepole visitor center, Grant Grove VC, Roaring River Falls, General Grant Tree, Panoramic Point Road, and over to Cedar Grove Village and back out to Fresno should take the second day. If Cedar Grove road is closed (freeing up 3 hours), then we will definitely visit Cathaven on our way to Fresno.

Note, I am aware that we will be missing the Crystal Cave (likely closed, by the time we arrive), however caves and confined spaces are not my best venue! Also the Ranger tells me that the dirt road to Redwood Canyon is more a hiking trail, than a driving one. We will likely add an item or two as we go.

Thank you JerryFF-we have been to Monterey Bay (okay), Sea World (more that one), and to the Long Beach Aquarium (way better that Monterey Bay Aquarium IMHO). May give Mandalay Bay a look if we stay their our second two nights. First two are at Luxor (very nearby).
Old Aug 18, 2010, 7:04 pm

... We will spend the night in Visalia (from Las Vegas), departing for our first day in the park facility about 9am. The drive to the park in about an hour. The drive to Mineral King and back is about 3 hours, plus a walk up to the view site!? (so I am told). While a few issues make it difficult for me to "hike" much, I can stroll around some, but slow and limited.. .
When you mention "Mineral King," "view site" and "stroll ... slow and limited" all in the same sentence, it causes a little concern.

Mineral King is certainly pretty but any "view site" would be up one of the trails leading out of the valley. They are all quite steep and rather difficult hiking - at altitude. I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but if you aren't camping or hiking, you might find the return on investment (long, narrow, rough road) to be a bit thin after arriving at MK. Then, you have to turn around and drive back down the same bad road. An alternative few hours might take you to the little community of Three Rivers just before you reach the Park entrance. If you are not into antiques or art galleries, you might drive across the bridge over the river on the North Fork Road back in time to the tiny community of Kaweah. The old post office is over 100 years old.

Back on the highway, you can then drive up the highway to Crescent Meadow and the short but strenuous hike up to the top of Moro Rock for the view or a strolling walk around the nature and historic trails criss-crossing the meadow area. The ranger at the entrance station will give you maps of these areas. The rest of your first day - Giant Forest, General Sherman Tree, Congress Grove Trail are all further up the highway toward Lodgepole.

Last edited by abmj-jr; Aug 21, 2010 at 2:29 pm
Old Aug 24, 2010, 8:03 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

abmj-jr

Thank you!

We will follow your directions, no Mineral King. The map we received in the mail, talks about your car hoses being eaten by the local critters anyway! We will give 3 rivers and Kaweah at try...a bit more our style in any case.

Oh, how I love the members of FT!!!

Years of early giving are really paying off.

ranles
Old Aug 24, 2010, 8:51 pm

... We will follow your directions, no Mineral King. The map we received in the mail, talks about your car hoses being eaten by the local critters anyway! We will give 3 rivers and Kaweah at try...a bit more our style in any case. ...
In case you haven't spotted it yet, please see my post in this group "Travel Advisory - Sequoia National Park." The drive is likely to be longer and a bit more involved than you originally planned. You can still get to the Park - just plan more time.
Old Aug 26, 2010, 12:10 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

abmj-jr

Once again, thank you.

While we will not be there until October 6th (Wed.), the road work will impact us, if ongoing at that time. Fortunately, we have some flexibility in time. Sure glad we decided early on that one day for the Sequoia and Kings, even on our abbreviated type visit, would not work. Staying "in" the park really helps.

We will be coming in from Visalia. Leaving at 8:30 ish. Are plans (thanks to you), including driving into Kaweah, thru Three Rivers with perhaps a coffee, stretch, few pictures and bathroom stop. Then on into the park passing the Mineral King turnoff to Foothills Visitor Center and Park Headquarters (we will stop at all VC's) for info, National Park Passport Stamp (we have the seniors pass), videos, or ?. We will get the road update at that time. We stop for most pull outs, sign/interpretive boards and the like. We will bypass campgrounds, picnic and camping areas. We plan on stopping at the Giant Forest Museum and to take the 2/3 mile level Big Trees loop trail. Next we will check out Lodgepole Village. We will pass n the Cave Tour. We would like to go to the General Sherman Tree. It was dependent on getting a temporary permit to park at the lower lot. Now I understand a new lot is under construction, so that is in the air. We also plan to check out the Tunnel Log. The final stop planned is at the Stony Creek Lodge for the night.
There is likely some other things we will find out about while there to add if time permits.

the next day, likely 8:30 or so we will find Kings Canyon Overlook, then on to Grant Grove Village. Gamlin Cabin and the Fallen Monarch is accessible by a 1/3 mile paved trail, so we will likely do that. The General Grant tree is a bit more iffy. We plan to pass up both Panoramic Point Road and Redwood Canyon. It looks like you drive to Redwood Mountain Overlook, so we will do that. Roaring River Falls (likely dry?) is a short walk.east of the Village road. I beleive that the road to Cedar Grove Village is likely closed when we are there, so that is questionable. Heading back to Fresno, we intend to stop at Cathaven, time permitting.

I really did not intend to give all that info, but you have been so helpfully, it seemed a good investment for us, and maybe a little useful to others on FT.

My wife and I have been to Sequoia Nat. Pk. before, separately, perhaps 50-60 years ago.

Thanks again.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.