Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > California
Reload this Page >

Best three-day nature trip out from San Francisco?

Old May 9, 2010, 6:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat

We are going to have a three-day layover in San Francisco in July, with a fairly large family group (kids ranging from 4-16). Having spent a fair amount of time in San Francisco itself on previous travels, we would like to get out of the city rather quickly (other than the required stop at the Eastern Bakery for moon cakes), and the thought is to perhaps head either up north or to the interior to parts of California that we have not visited before.

The question is, with just three days to work with, what is most worthwhile? I have always heard positive things about northern California, but three days might be a bit long for just redwoods (or not?). So, I was thinking of perhaps doing a bit of circle drive to go through Yosemite to Death Valley, then back by Sequoia. But THAT seems maybe a bit rushed (or not?). And, having spent a lot of time in other Alpine contexts, in the Rockies, in Europe, in New Zealand, is there anything particularly special to Yosemite, or could we give that a miss?

Bearing in mind that our taste tends to run much more to natural beauty, wildlife, etc., than to cities or man-made attractions, but also considering that with a 4-year-old we won't really be roughing it too much (well, maybe a trail ride could be arranged leaving her back at the lodge...), any suggestions will be very welcome.
Old May 9, 2010, 4:57 pm

Programs: AA, USAir, UA
Originally Posted by tacommuter
The question is, with just three days to work with, what is most worthwhile? I have always heard positive things about northern California, but three days might be a bit long for just redwoods (or not?).
Well, I'd say that three days were perfect for an exploration of Northern CA in July. Drive up US 101 on the first day staying in the vicinity of Humboldt Redwoods State Park. The next day, I'd head south, turning off US101 to follow US 1 along the coast. Think about exploring Fort Bragg with its lumbering museum and steam railway; Ft. Ross, which was California's Russian colony during the 18th century; at least one of the dozen great beaches along the route, or the charming old town of Bodega Bay. Your final day can include Pt. Reyes National Seashore, a visit to Mt. Tamalpais, or maybe even a walk out on the span of the Golden Gate Bridge.

So, I was thinking of perhaps doing a bit of circle drive to go through Yosemite to Death Valley, then back by Sequoia.
I'd drop Death Valley from that plan. Death Valley in July is darn near unbearable (110-120 f. degree daytime temperatures); moreover, it more than doubles the distance traveled, amking it more about driving than getting out and seeing. There are some other great kid-friendly places to visit in the Sierras like Columbia State Historic park (a preserved gold rush era town) or Railtown 1897 State Historic Park in Jamestown. Heck, I might even dump visiting Sequoia (which really requires a short hike to see the famous big trees) for a visit to Mariposa Grove in the south part of Yosemite NP.

But THAT seems maybe a bit rushed (or not?). And, having spent a lot of time in other Alpine contexts, in the Rockies, in Europe, in New Zealand, is there anything particularly special to Yosemite, or could we give that a miss?
Yosemite is full of views that I describe as "damn, that's got to be a painted backdrop, because reality doesn't look that amazing." The Valley may be them most overpowering scenery on earth. Visiting there is special...even to someone habituated to Alpine scenes... Incidentally, they have great day and evening programs for kids.
Old May 9, 2010, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
I completely agree with mlshanks about the spectacular nature of Yosemite, and about omitting Death Valley and Sequoia on this specific trip (it makes a good excuse to come back t a future time).

Given your enjoyment of hiking, I'd also urge you to consider a visit to Pinnacles National Monument. This is a really unique geological attraction, and offers several hiking opportunities of varying duration and difficulty. You could do Pinnacles either on your way to, or from, Yosemite:

http://www.nps.gov/pinn/index.htm
Old May 10, 2010, 12:00 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Completely agree with the previous posters. Having also been to alpine areas outside the US, I will say there is definitely something quite special about Yosemite that you don't want to miss. Of course, a lot of other people will be thinking the same thing in July.
Old May 10, 2010, 1:18 am

Originally Posted by l'etoile
Of course, a lot of other people will be thinking the same thing in July.
Truth.

If you want to stay overnight in the valley in July, you are likely too late to make a reservation if you are planning on visiting on a weekend (Fri-Sun) or holiday visit. If your plans are for a weekday visit, reserve NOW. Incidentally, I heartily encourage a "slight" bit of roughing it, by booking into the Curry Tent-Cabins....rather than an more normal hotel or motel.
Old May 10, 2010, 2:26 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
If you head south from SF, you might want to consider some coastal scenery. The area around Big Sur, about 45 minutes south of Monterey and Carmel, is truly spectacular. There are numerous places to hike, including Julia Pfeiffer State Park and several other state parks. A little closer to Carmel is Point Lobos State Park, which is also beautiful. And around Pebble Beach is 17-mile Drive. This coastal region is not far from Pinnacles, if you go there.

A great place to stay for families in the Asilomar Conference Grounds. They rent out rooms when not fully occupied by conferences. Again, the setting is magnificent, in the woods but right adjacent to the beach.
Old May 10, 2010, 2:32 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I was just in Yosemite a couple of weeks ago. Everything was booked except the tents in Curry (and it wasn't a weekend). But, if you can get in, go to Yosemite. It is unbelievable.

It's a four hour drive from SFO. There is plenty of hiking in the valley to do. There's a mountaineering school the older kids might be able to get into. You can rent bikes, go floating down the Merced, just enjoy the scenery.

OTOH, Monterey and Carmel are also spectacular. It will be cooler in July there. There is the aquarium in Monterey, kayaking in the bay, bike rentals and the parks as others as pointed out.

I'd do one or the other, but not both. I just don't like spending all my time in a car driving from one place to another.

Driving up north is OK, but Yosemite or Monterey/Carmel are more spectacular.
Old May 10, 2010, 11:51 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by tacommuter
Bearing in mind that our taste tends to run much more to natural beauty, wildlife, etc., than to cities or man-made attractions, but also considering that with a 4-year-old we won't really be roughing it too much (well, maybe a trail ride could be arranged leaving her back at the lodge...), any suggestions will be very welcome.
With your specifications mentioned, I would say that Yosemite fits best, if you can get a reservation. Keep in mind that availability fluctuates frequently, as many people book 366 days in advance and you know what happens to travel plans when you make them that far out--things happen. If you'd like to explore more about it, the National Park Service has a great website with a planning guide here.

While some mentioned roughing it in the Curry tent cabins, if you'd like to be closer to the river without real camping, I would recommend the Housekeeping Camp. It's a bit more rustic, but provides more than Curry Village. The living space is larger with a double bed and two bunks on the wall, a patio with round picnic table and bench, bear lockers, electricity and a fire pit where you can have your own campfire. You can rent bedding if you don't have your own.

Free summer programs abound, led by Rangers and volunteers, with daytime and evening programs at various locations throughout the park. If you enter the park during the day, be sure you get a paper which has all the activities at the Ranger's station; if not head straight to the Village Visitor's Center to get one. There are free valley shuttle buses to take you to all the must see places on the valley floor and the trailheads to most of the day hike areas. The east end of the valley is closed to vehicular traffic (except vechiles displaying handicapped placards) and the Park vehicles. There should still be a decent amount of water in all of the falls in early July. If you aren't inclined to do serious hiking, you should at least walk the short trails to the base of Bridelveil Falls (.5 mile; .8 km r/t), Yosemite Falls (1 mile; 1.6 km r/t), and Vernal Falls (1.5 miles; 2.6 km r/t).

Three days is a good start to see the park from the valley floor and if you go, you must head up to Inspiration Point or Glacier Point to watch at least one sunset across the valley (but you'll need your car for that).

I spent every summer vacation growing up in Yosemite and still visit at least once a year.
Old May 12, 2010, 11:26 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
On a scale of mountain beauty ranging from 1-10, Yosemite scores an 11. Don't skip it, unless you generously want to make it less crowded for the rest of us who love going there.

I join others here in recommending against making a loop from Yosemite to Death Valley and Kings Canyon/Sequoia. It's not that these areas are unworthy of visiting. They still rate 9 or 9.5 on the 1-10 scale. But packing it all in in 3 days would require you to spend nearly all of your time driving. The beauty of the Sierra Nevada mountains is best enjoyed when you have plenty of time to get out of your car and absorb it.

Instead of making a big driving loop, why not spend the whole time in Yosemite? I practically guarantee that you could spend your entire 3 days there without feeling like a minute was wasted. Plan to spend at least a full day in the valley, half a day at Glacier point, and a day visiting Tuolumne Meadows/Tioga Pass. This "starter visit" will amaze and refresh and will probably cause several members of your family to begin planning their next trip.
Old May 12, 2010, 8:09 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I also support Yosemite but if you can't get accomodation, there's some really beautiful country around Lake Tahoe.

Death Valley is my favorite national park (I'm a bit weird that way, I guess), yet even I wouldn't go there in summer!
Old May 14, 2010, 3:16 am

Originally Posted by darthbimmer
Instead of making a big driving loop, why not spend the whole time in Yosemite? I practically guarantee that you could spend your entire 3 days there without feeling like a minute was wasted. Plan to spend at least a full day in the valley, half a day at Glacier point, and a day visiting Tuolumne Meadows/Tioga Pass.
I'd mostly agree... save that since they are not going to Sequoia or visiting the Coastal Redwoods, they really ought to see Mariposa Grove in the South of the Yosemite park....if for no other reason than to walk through the California Tunnel Tree and gape at the Grizzly Giant.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 8:52 am

Have you looked at sites like Google Maps or Mapquest to see the mileage involved? Death Valley is just too far unless you want a marathon driving trip. Hwy. 395 is very scenic, but DV would be uncomfortable, to put it mildly (though some go there specifically to experience stifling summer heat). Yosemite, as others have said, is fantastic, but July is a peak month, and finding accommodations within the park will likely be absolutely imposible at this point. There are Web sites showing accommodations outside of the park (e.g., Oakhurst, Mariposa, El Portal, Fish Camp). Just do an Internet search on "lodging near Yosemite" or variations on that. Some locations would not be ideal in terms of location in terms of driving in and out more than once, but you're talking about a pretty short trip, anyway. With just 3 days, two will be devoted largely to transporation. If you can get to Yosemite, by all means see Tuolumne Meadows. Other options: Sequoia/Kings Canyon (administered as one park) without Yosemite, or Lassen Volcanic National Park or Lake Tahoe. I'd go for Yosemite as my first choice. But get those accommodations NOW.
Old Jun 11, 2010, 2:13 am
In memoriam

I concur in the Yosemite suggestions--but, going North or South along the coast is also terrific. Three days is enough for any ONE of these options.

Keep in mind that you don't have to stay in the Valley in Yosemite. There are places to stay in several other locations, such as the wonderful high sierra camp at Tuolumne Meadows--the only such camp you can reach by road. And, consider Wawona or White Wolf, also in the Park.
http://www.yosemitepark.com/Accommod...ngDetails.aspx

Or, go to Tahoe. It is also amazing. And, you can gamble on the Nevada side.

In the Tahoe area, a great place to stay is the Sierra Club Lodge. http://www.sierraclub.org/outings/lodges/ctl/

Anyone can join and use the Lodge. It is very family friendly. And cheap. And woodsy. But, the Four Seasons, it ain't.
Old Jun 11, 2010, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by biggestbopper

Or, go to Tahoe. It is also amazing. And, you can gamble on the Nevada side.

In the Tahoe area, a great place to stay is the Sierra Club Lodge. http://www.sierraclub.org/outings/lodges/ctl/

Anyone can join and use the Lodge. It is very family friendly. And cheap. And woodsy. But, the Four Seasons, it ain't.
I'll second Tahoe. It's easy to get around, decent hotels, scenery is great and you can explore the area without sacrificing comfort and good food.

Yosemite is simply overrun with tourists and the infrastructure can barely support the load. Getting around the valley in bumper to bumper traffic is not fun. Walking with thousands of others is not the kind of outdoors I personally prefer. If you stay there you'll have a few relatively quiet hours early in the morning and late at night but everything in between is a tourist trap
(for the sake of comparison IMO Canadian Rockies, especially Jasper, and New Zealand South Island mountains are just as scenic without the crowds)
Old Jun 13, 2010, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by azepine00
I'll second Tahoe. It's easy to get around, decent hotels, scenery is great and you can explore the area without sacrificing comfort and good food.....Yosemite is simply overrun with tourists...
Funny, but the last time I was at Tahoe in summer, it was bumper-to-bumper traffic from Homewood to South Lake Tahoe. Tahoe is way to touristy as well, w/o the "Oh my God" scenery that makes Yosemite a necessary experience.

If they want "far from the maddening crowds," I'd actually opt for heading up to the Northern Redwoods & coast north of SFO...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.