Peohe's in Coronado?

Subscribe
20 years ago when I lived in SD I used to take the ferry over to Coronado to eat at Peohe's occasionally. My wife and I are headed back to SD for the first time in many years and checked the online reviews for Peohe's. I was surprised to see it not so highly rated. Has it changed drastically over the years, and are there much better restaurants around town now? We like to seek out the very best restaurants when we travel but I haven't quite found a best of the best list for San Diego yet. When we finish our trip up in LA there seems to be an online consensus that Providence is a great restaurant, so that is on our list.
Lots of great food to chose from in San Diego -

In Coronado, the restaurant at the Loews is getting great press.

Downtown, BICE is also getting good press.

My personal favorites are Market in Del Mar and Rendezvous also in Del Mar. Blanca has a new chef but in the past it has always been very well reviewed.
Kitchen 1540 is good too.

Mille Fleur is still one of the best. They now have a $40 price fix menu and also a bistro menue so us mortals can afford to eat there.

Georges in La Jolla is still great. Wisknladle in La Jolla is also good.

El Agave in Old Town is still great.

Lots to choose from in Hillcrest and now in Kensington.

I think the reviews at the Reader are pretty right on. Also, SD Magazine just published their reader poll. Look at the online edition.

If you tell me your food preferences/area of town, I could be more specific.
You might find this useful:

http://www.sandiegomagazine.com/medi...taurants-2010/
Quote: Lots of great food to chose from in San Diego -

In Coronado, the restaurant at the Loews is getting great press.

Downtown, BICE is also getting good press.

My personal favorites are Market in Del Mar and Rendezvous also in Del Mar. Blanca has a new chef but in the past it has always been very well reviewed.
Kitchen 1540 is good too.
Market sounds like just the kind of restaurant we were looking for - thanks for the tip!
Can't go wrong with Market- I love the vegetable stack (we order an entre and share it as an appetizer.)

Just be aware that it is on Via de la Valle, EAST of I-5 and the County Fair is on now and will be followed by the races - so the best day to go is when the fair is dark (Monday) or when the races are dark (Tuesday) - or to get there, take Del Mar Heights to El Camino Real to bypass the fair/racetrack traffic. The restaurant is at the intersection of El Camino Real and Via de la Valle.

And reservations are a must.
Quote: Can't go wrong with Market- I love the vegetable stack (we order an entre and share it as an appetizer.)

Just be aware that it is on Via de la Valle, EAST of I-5 and the County Fair is on now and will be followed by the races - so the best day to go is when the fair is dark (Monday) or when the races are dark (Tuesday) - or to get there, take Del Mar Heights to El Camino Real to bypass the fair/racetrack traffic. The restaurant is at the intersection of El Camino Real and Via de la Valle.

And reservations are a must.
Wow, good thing you mentioned that. The fair will be over by the time we get there, but the racetrack will open the day after.
Quote: The fair will be over by the time we get there, but the racetrack will open the day after.
The racetrack has much less of an impact on travel than the fair. It's quite bad at the Via de la Valle off ramp from the freeway right at the time that racing starts, which I believe is 2pm in the afternoon. I'd saw the worst window of time is 1pm to 3pm. Then, it thins out and is not much of an issue.